What we do:
Epinions helps people make informed buying decisions. It is a premier consumer reviews platform on the Web and a reliable source for valuable consumer insight, unbiased advice, in-depth product evaluations and personalized recommendations.
Why we do it:
Epinions is a service of the eBay Commerce Network, a leading provider of
comparison shopping services. Shopping.com's mission is to help consumers anywhere use the power of information to find,
compare and buy anything.
How we do it:
- Unbiased Advice. Epinions does not decide what content to post and what not to post. Epinions is a platform for people to share their experiences - both good and bad. With millions of consumer reviews, ratings and comments, Epinions' robust content engine presents you with high quality content based on how helpful other users have found it.
- Personalized Recommendations. When you are looking for advice from someone in the offline world, you seek out people who share your interests and deserve your trust. Epinions' proprietary Web of Trust technology sorts all content to deliver information that is both reliable and useful for you. Additionally, you can customize product searches based on what you like and receive email notifications when new reviews are written on a particular product or by a specific person.
- Comparative Shopping. Epinions covers millions of products and services in over 30 different categories. In addition to detailed product reviews, you can read buying guides (What should I consider when buying a baby monitor?), product definitions (What is a megapixel?), and 'how-to' guides (How do I install a car stereo?). Once Epinions helps you decide what you want to purchase, we provide you with complete pricing and availability options through a list of rated online merchants.
- The Right Incentives. As with any healthy marketplace, Epinions is demand-driven. This means that through monetary and non-monetary incentives, we encourage our users to create the content that people really need.
- Transparency. Epinions goes to great lengths to highlight the people behind the reviews so that you know exactly whom to trust. In addition to user biography pages, review lists, and the ability to comment on reviews, Epinions has introduced "tickets" to flag users who have violated our User Agreement. This mechanism allows shoppers to discount certain members' advice accordingly, and to stop seeing advice from these members.
Shopping.com pioneered online comparison shopping and today is one of the fastest growing shopping destinations on the Internet. With millions of products, thousands of merchants and millions of reviews from the Epinions community, Shopping.com empowers consumers to make informed choices and, as a result, drives much higher conversion to sale and value for merchants.
As ecommerce evolves, sellers and buyers are increasingly sophisticated and adventurous, demanding more choice. Consumers want the widest range of products and stores, along with the information and data necessary to navigate those choices efficiently. Merchants demand exposure to the ever-expanding, global population of shoppers.
Shopping.com's mission is to help consumers anywhere use the power of information to find, compare and buy anything!
Try Shopping.com today.