My mom has a 1999 Buick Century. The car drives like a boat. What I mean is that when you turn the car, it just makes a really wide turn. It feels like you're in a boat also. After you hit a bump, the car rocks back and forth for awhile. I like the car anyway, and here's why:
1) There is a lot of room in the car just like my dad's Ford truck that I wrote about. He's 6'8" 300 pounds, and I'm 6'3" 240 lbs. When I sit behind him I'm just a little cramped, but it's okay for drives under 4 hours.
2) The car gets great gas mileage: just around 35 miles on the freeway and 27 in town.
3) The car has controls for the radio in the steering wheel, (Volume, Scan, Mute, Source). This makes it so that you don't have to take your hands off the steering wheel to be able to control the radio.
4) The car had a factory installed CD player and an AM/FM radio that are great. The radio get stations from really far away and they are clear.
5) The interior is leather, but the really cool thing is that the front two seats are heated.
6) The car's heater and air-conditioning are automatically controlled. You set the temperature that you want the car to be. Then the car adjusts the strength of the fan, where the air comes out, and how hot or cold the air is. There is a manual override too. Each side can have their own settings (driver wants it cold, while the passenger requires heat!)
7) The car has a full
spare tire. Those are really rare these days.
8) It has a V-8 and the torque and horsepower are great.
There are also some things about the car that I don't like.
1) If you put the parking break on while the car is still running, and you get out of the car, there is a dinging noise that drives me crazy.
2) When you are starting to run low on gas, the car will make a dinging noise that gets progressively louder and longer until you fill up. This is especially annoying since it begins when you have a quarter of a tank left.
3) The headlights turn on automatically. There are daylight, running lights, that are on all the time (you can't turn them off). There are also brighter lights for night driving. You can turn the night lights on on your own, but there is a sensor that should know when they are needed automatically. If for some reason (say the drive in) you needed the lights actually off
at any time, you can not turn them off while the car is running.
4) The blinker makes the same dinging sound (only at a faster rate) and it is louder than anything else that is in the car.
Overall I really like the car. Let's just say that an 18-year-old kid would be caught dead in it (even though it's their parent's car). The car is really great and I love to drive the car when I can, but my parents don't let me that often. I'll do anything for my parents to be able to drive it.
Amount Paid (US$):
1999Model and Options:
Automatic, heated leather seats, cd-am/fm-cassette, keyless entry