4 Tips Leading You to Healthier Skin...

Sep 7, 2000 (Updated Sep 30, 2000)

Oh my gosh...there are craters on my face! What do you do now? Well let's start off by finding out how pores work and what they are.

What are pores?
Pores are little tiny openings in your skin that provide a way for the oil glands under your skin to lubricate and protect the surface of your skin. Pores enlarge during puberty (great!) because your oil glands begin to increase the amount of oil that they pump through your pores. Most people tend to notice more enlarged pores around the nose area because that part of your body has more oil glands than any other part of your body.

Pores will stay open and appear larger when they are full of oil. Leftover makeup on your face can also contribute to making your pores larger since makeup clogs your pores.

How do I minimize these pores then?

Tip #1 - Maintain Healthy Skin
Always keep your face clean by washing your face with a good soap or facial cleanser at least twice a day. Make sure that you do not sleep with any of your makeup products on. This can contribute to clogged pores.

You can also choose to gently exfoliate your skin at least once a week to make sure all that dead skin stays away from your pores. Be careful not to over-exfoliate your skin.

Follow up after washing your face with a good toner or astringent.

Next use a good skin cream containing AHAs (Alpha Hydroxy Acids) to get rid of old skin cells that tend to build up around your pores. Make sure that it contains at least 10% glycolic acid in the cream.

Use a weekly mask to help tighten the pores (see below to make your own).

Remember...never pick at your blemishes because picking only leaves scars and enlarges your pores even more!.

Tip #2 - Don't Over Apply Your Makeup!
Less is better! Don't cake that foundation or powder on your face. Let your skin breathe. The heavier the foundation, the easier it can remain clogged in your pores. So your best bet is to use a powder and apply the powder with a large brush. Compacts are fine too. I stay away from liquid foundations because they just make my skin oily.

If you have pretty large pores, just remember a lot of makeup does not cover it up! More makeup will just do more damage to your skin.

Try Pureness by Shiseido, it's a great oil control compact. It's priced around $20 ($18.99).

Make sure you keep all of your makeup brushes, sponges, and etc. clean at all times. Bacteria and oil can remain in your brushes and when you use them on your face, you transfer all that "gunk" into your pores. I find that regular hair shampoo works great to clean out brushes. Hey if it works on your hair why not on your brushes!

Tip #3 - Some Good Face Masks
Below are some great masks that I have tried to minimize my pores.
Kiss My Face Deep Pore Cleansing Masque.......$10
Queen Helena Mint Julep........$4

Or...make your own!

Cucumber Avocado Facial Mask
1/2 cup chopped cucumber
1/2 cup chopped avocado
1 egg white
2 tsp. powdered milk

In a blender combine all of the ingredients until they form a smooth, paste-like consistency. You can apply the mask immediately or refrigerate it for 30 minutes.

Apply 2 tablespoons of the cucumber avocado mask to your face and neck in circular upward motions. Leave the mask on for 30 minutes, or until dry. To remove the mask simply rinse your face and neck with warm water, followed by a cold water rinse. Finally, pat dry your face and neck.

or try....

Lemon Egg White Mask
Juice from half a lemon, strained
1 egg white

Beat together the egg white and lemon juice for three full minutes. Apply directly to your face, avoiding your eyes, and leave on for 30 minutes. After 30 minutes rinse your face with warm water and apply a moisturizer or cream.

Tip #4 - Witch Hazel...
Try distilled witch hazel which is available at your local drugstore for cheap. It is a natural astringent. This product works to help reduce the appearance of your large pores while also controlling shine (removing oil) and reducing the inflammation of skin. I use this instead of toners or astringents such as Sea Breeze.

When applied to the face this product has a refreshing feel and does not sting like most astringents do(great plus). This is a great product to try.

That's All Folks!
I wish you luck in minimizing those pores! It's not an easy job especially if you have oily skin. Just remember not to pick because I made that mistake around my nose area and I wish I had never. I hope that I have provided you with some really helpful tips in minimizing pore appearance.

Thanks for reading! =) A smile a day keeps the calories away!

Location: San Gabriel Valley, Southern California
About Me: Been really busy lately, will catch up soon!