Honeywell Rd Prog Thermostat CT2700

ratings (1 Epinions review)

Even Tim Taylor could make this Home Improvement and Operate It!

Jun 11, 2003

Pros:No Mercury, no balancing,no batteries Honeywell quality and simplicity, extremely accurate

Cons:On/Off, Heat/Cool switch indicators difficult to read.

The Bottom Line: Excellent quality, reliable, accurate and a bargain. Less is more with this model.

What’s with the title of this review? I’m referring of course to the fictitious host of the fictitious show “Tool Time.” This was from the long running sitcom Home Improvement on the ABC TV network.

Back in 1952 cars had tail fins, phones had dials, TV’s were big black and white monsters, airliners had propellers and the Honeywell Company introduced their infamous thermostat, “The Round One.” This simple but reliable instrument was to thermostats as Frigidare was to refrigerators! Accept for cosmetic changes the “Round One” is virtually unchanged from the original model introduced when the country liked Ike. The round one is still one of the best sellers.

Several years ago Honeywell added a digital version of the “Round One.” Here is my very positive review of this performer. I’m an apartment dweller. Five years ago, the thermostat provided by the landlord was a rectangle generic brand that looked like it would fetch at least a few looks on Antiques Road Show. Getting an accurate temperature was a major feat. During the long hot summer, to get a temperature of 72, some days I had to set the thing at 64 other days at 76. During the heating season it was even more of a crap shoot. I do not require much heat so I never set it the thermostat above 65. When the heat came on, the temperature shot up to a toasty 75 before the furnace clicked off. Then, the heat would not come on until the temperature dropped below 55! Management replaced the antique with a new version of the same generic “el cheapo” thermostat. Performance was pretty much the same.

Off to Home Depot for some florescent bulbs and voila, I saw a display with this new digital Honeywell round thermostat. I paid $44.95 for it. This was back in 1998 when it first came on the market. Other stores sold it for as high as $65 bucks! Now, Epinions has a link where you can take one home for $27.00 plus shipping.

Installation: Easy! You dismount your old thermostat and match the colored wires. Hence even Tim Taylor could install it without blowing up his abode. One should kill the juice (electricity) I did not and my cat and me are still here five years later. A ring is included. This ring came in handy. Since I replaced a rectangular thermostat from a different manufacturer there was a gaping hole and the original paint from when the building was constructed circa 1957. The ring fits around the actual thermostat and covered this up. I double-checked my connections everything was in order.

When first installed or, when switching from heating to air conditioning there is up to a 15 minute wait for the device to synchronize with the furnace/air conditioner. I guess this is due to the computer chips. This thermostat is environmentally friendly. There are no mercury bulbs. Which means there is no need to balance this unit. Most analog thermostats including the standard round one need to be balanced to work properly. So, you need a leveler and with this model as the round one (analog) a plum line to do this. I still made sure it was balanced.

Accuracy: Home Depot told me that the manufacturer allows for a variance of 4 degrees. I set up two thermometers, a standard mercury bargain affair and a battery operated digital unit. My Honeywell Round digital thermostat matched exactly to both thermometers. Both during the heating and the air conditioning season. Five years later, my thermostat is as accurate as the day I bought it.

Operation: This unit is very simple. There are no batteries. You can set it for two different settings. They are sleep and wake. You can choose what times of day. Sleep and Wake are just reference points. No more, no less. Since there are only two programmable settings, if you are like myself, you will have to reset this thermostat for heat and for air conditioning. My winter settings are sleep- 60 degrees, wake- 65 degrees. For the cooling season, my settings are 72 and 76 degrees respectively. In addition you have to adjust the time for the change to and from daylight savings time. This is a simple device. If you want multiple setting selections look for other models. Honeywell makes them but they are not round. And, they require batteries. Every few months, I will advance its clock time a couple of minutes. Though it is excellent at temperature accuracy for whatever reason the clock slows a minute or two. It’s a thermostat, not a Rolex watch.
As with the traditional analog version of this model, the switches for the fan/auto/off switch and the heating / cooling modes are small and hard to read. Be advised of this if you mount it high on your wall or if you have to maneuver around shelves, lamps or whatever heirlooms you have in your living environment. Also be advised if your power goes out like it does constantly during Baltimore’s torrid summers, you have to reset its clock. Fortunately it retains your temperature settings.

Like the Energizer Bunny my Honeywell Round digital thermostat is still going after five years! That’s longer than many marriages! It’s simple, dependable and has that Honeywell quality built in to boot. At under $30.00 it is a bargain to boot!

Honeywell Th6110d1005 Focuspro 6000 Prog Thermostat

Honeywell Th6110d1005 Focuspro 6000 Prog Thermostat

The FocusPRO programmable thermostat provides electronic control of 24 Vac conventional and heat pump systems or 750 mV heating systems. If used as di...

Honeywell Th8110u1003 Vision Pro 8000 Digital Thermostat

Honeywell Th8110u1003 Vision Pro 8000 Digital Thermostat

NEW Honeywell TH8110U1003 Vision Pro 8000 Digital Thermostat - Brand NEW items - FREE standard shipping - Easy returns Our price $165.36 NOW ONLY Two-...

Honeywell Electric Baseboard Heat Thermostat Line Volt

Honeywell Electric Baseboard Heat Thermostat Line Volt

For sale is a new in box Honeywell TL7235A1003 Digital Non-programmable Double Pole Line Voltage Thermostat for electric baseboards, convector and fan...

Honeywell TL7235A1003 Line Volt Pro Non-Programmable Digital Thermostat with Electronic Temperature Control

Honeywell TH6110D1005  FocusPRO 6000 Programmable 1 Heat/1 Cool Thermostat, Small Screen

Honeywell TH6110D1005 FocusPRO 6000 Programmable 1 Heat/1 Cool Thermostat, Small Screen

The FocusPROT programmable thermostat provides electronic control of 24 Vac conventional and heat pump systems or 750 mV heating systems. If used as d...
iaqsource.com

Honeywell Line Voltg Thermostat (dpst) 208 To 240 voltac. Model: TL7235 Amps1003

Line Voltage Thermostat, Switch Type Dpst, Switch Action Open On Rise, Number Of Switches 1, Control Range 40 Degrees To 86 Degrees F, Differential +/...
Grainger

Honeywell Focuspro 6000 Programmable Thermostat

Honeywell Focuspro 6000 Programmable Thermostat

Jump To: Description \ Payment Options \ Shipping Information \ Customer Service Honeywell FocusPRO 6000 Programmable 1 Heat/1 Cool Thermostat, Small ...

Honeywell Aube Th115-af-ga Dual Electric Floor Prog Thermostat Gfci With Sensor

Honeywell Aube Th115-af-ga Dual Electric Floor Prog Thermostat Gfci With Sensor

TRANSLATE Arabic Chinese French German Greek Indonesian Italian Hindi Japanese Korean Swedish Portuguese Russian Spanish Before Purchasing Our Product...
Non-Programmable Thermostats: Honeywell Thermostat. Standard Heat/Cool Non-Programmable Thermostat CT51N

Shop for Heating, Venting & Cooling at The Home Depot. This Honeywell Standard Heat Only Thermostat features a simple design that is easy to understan...
Home Depot

Honeywell Vision Pro 8000 Touchscreen Thermostat

Honeywell Vision Pro 8000 Touchscreen Thermostat

HONEYWELL VISION PRO PROGRAMMABLE , 3H/2C TOUCHSCREEN THERMOSTAT THE TH8320 1008 THERMOSTATS PROVIDE TEMPERATURE CONTROL FOR GAS ,OIL, ELECTRIC, AND H...