Swiffer WetJet Starter Kit

ratings (176 Epinions reviews)

IF I WALK IN WET SOCKS, CAN I DO JUST AS GOOD?

Jun 16, 2003 (Updated Feb 13, 2004)

Pros:Good for quick mop-ups

Cons:Doesn't quite live up to its advertising

The Bottom Line: Good on most floors but great on all. It's up to you and your flooring.

Before I start my review, I should mention that I have ceramic tiles through my house (except the bedrooms where we have carpet). That will make my review a bit clearer.

This could have been a movie (Great Expectations) or maybe a song from 1971 (Anticipation) or maybe that old time fun song by Frank Sinatra (High Hopes) but neither was the case. All of these, thankfully, didn’t apply to my purchase of the SWIFFER WETJET.

I’ll begin this review by saying that the WetJet is easy to put together. Yes, that’s right, it comes in two pieces (not counting the jug of cleaning fluid). All you need to do is snap the top part of the handle in the lower part, push in the jug of fluid, add the batteries and you’re good to go! (WHOA! DID I SAY BATTERIES? – I’ll explain that in a minute.) Yes, assembly really is easy. The handle is made of lightweight aluminum and hard-molded plastic with a hard rubber non-slip grip (in two places should you need to use two hands – but it’s so light, you really don’t have to). Well, that is AFTER you install the FOUR DOUBLE A BATTERIES needed to make the sprayer work.

At the end of the top handle is a ring you can use to hang your SWIFFER WETJET on a hook so it’s off the floor when not in use (and not in your way).

Now, how does this contraption work?

Again, a piece of cake!

The cleaning pads automatically stick to the Velcro-like strips on the pad holder. Sort of how a disposable diaper would stick to Velcro. The pads are made very similarly.

On the green part of the handle is a gray oval button. Just push it to release a wide spray of cleaning fluid.

Now, you’re mopping! Sort of!

Okay, so I actually couldn’t wait to use this magical device. Maybe I was looking for an easy way out. You see, my husband’s idea of washing the floor is to use a rag mop and a bucket of hot water combined with chlorine bleach and Dawn".

That’s fine for him (he always washes the floors). But for a person like me who has a bad back and can’t push a heavy mop around, it doesn’t work very well. (That’s why Rich does the floors. Pushing and pulling like that puts me in bed for days with pain.)

I bought the SWIFFER WETJET for the in-between moppings – like when the dog dribbles his food on the floor or we walk in dirt from the yard OR the grandkids visit and spill chocolate milk (no they don’t drink soda).

I can’t say I was completely disappointed with this little homemakers’ helper but if you completely believe all the raves you see and hear on TV and expect a fantastic-looking clean floor, you’re in for a rude awakening.

First of all, the commercials will tell you this is a POWER MOP. The only power is you pushing it. What they mean by power is the battery-powered jet spray. Somewhat deceiving, if you ask me.

Secondly, the ads claim that what the front cleaning cuff misses on the push stroke, the back will pick up on the pull stroke. I’ve found that it’s a hit and miss situation. Sometimes it will but more often, it won’t. When I take the pad off to toss it in the garbage, you can see that all too often, only one side of the pad actually picked up the dust and dirt while the other side is still clean.

Another claim is that the Advanced Cleaning Solution dissolves tough, greasy stains ON CONTACT. The one who made that claim never had to clean up after my dog when he’s finished eating. As long as whatever spills is still wet, this mop works fine. Should the spilled stuff dry or just become tacky, the SWIFFER WETJET is like any other mop that needs to be worked over the stain a few times to remove it. Again, a bit deceiving.

As the commercials indicate, yes, your floor will dry within a few minutes, but to be honest, my floor dries within a few minutes even after my husband washes it. So, where’s the big claim, here?

I’m not saying the WETJET isn’t a good cleaning aid to own. It really depends on the type of flooring you have in your home and how well you expect it to work. It’s good but not great.

A good point is that the SWIFFER WETJET comes with a jug of cleaner and 6 cleaning pads to get you started AND only costs $25.00. Really, for the price and what you get with it, what more can you expect?

While the commercials will tell you that these cleaning cuffs will pick up dust and dirt, what they don’t tell you is that they don’t pick up all the dirt. The Swiffer WetJet is good for solid floors. What do I mean by solid floors? While this sort-of mop cleans the tile, it pushes many dirt particles in the grout indentation between ceramic tiles.. You’ll notice, if you have ceramic tile floors, that all too often, some dirt particles will get pushed in the recessed grout area. SWIFFER WETJET won’t get them out.

One thing I should mention about the cleaning solution is that nowhere on the jug will it tell you the ingredients. It does say that it contains no phosphates, however, there is a warning that states In case of eye contact, flush thoroughly with water. If irritation persists, call a physician. I checked the website and again, no hint as to the components in the cleaning solution. The 800 number was no help, either. All I can say is be very careful not to splash this near your eyes (or your pets eyes).

By now you’re probably thinking, why on earth did she buy this or why doesn’t she just throw it out?

The bottom line is that while this will never replace that good old bucket and mop way of cleaning, it will suffice in a pinch when you need to just “dust” your floor or pick up a quick spill.

Is it worth $25.00? Not in my opinion. (If it were up to me, I’d only pay about $15.00)

Will I keep using it? Only for in-between washings or quick spills.

One last comment:

Epinions asks if I would recommend this. I can only say YES – but it depends on your flooring.

Swiffer Wetjet Wood Starter Kit

Product Information: Swiffer WetJet gives you a great clean on virtually any floor in your home. With a unique dual-nozzle sprayer, this all-in-one mo...

Swiffer Wetjet Wood Starter Kit

Swiffer Wetjet Wood Starter Kit Item Description Swiffer WetJet gives you a great clean on virtually any floor in your home. With a unique dual-nozzle...

Swiffer WetJet Starter Kit Bundle

Swiffer WetJet Starter Kit Bundle

Keep the floors in your home looking their best with this Swiffer WetJet Starter Kit Bundle. It includes a WetJet starter kit with a mop, 10 refills w...

Swiffer Wetjet Starter Kit

Swiffer Wetjet Starter Kit

Swiffer WetJet gives you a great clean on virtually any floor in your home. With a unique dual-nozzle sprayer, this all-in-one mopping system breaks u...
Soap.com

Swiffer WetJet Mop Starter Kit

Swiffer WetJet Mop Starter Kit

Find housecleaning tools at Target.com! Swiffer wetjet starter kit cleans better than a mop and bucket. The pad traps dirt your mop can push around. T...

Swiffer Wetjet, Starter Kit 1 Kit

Swiffer Wetjet, Starter Kit 1 Kit

--- Select Brand --- Avent Braun Carlson CHI CHI Air Conair Cytosport Doctor's Best Dr.Scholl's Eclipse Evercare Garden of Life HoMedics Honeywell Inf...

Swiffer Wetjet Wood Starter Kit, Free Shipping,

Swiffer Wetjet Wood Starter Kit, Free Shipping,

Swiffer Wetjet Wood Starter Kit, Free Shipping, New Details: Manufacturer: Swiffer Size: Color: Purple Item Dimensions: Length: 19 inches Width: 6 inc...

Swiffer WetJet Mop Wood Floor Starter Kit

Swiffer WetJet Mop Wood Floor Starter Kit

Find housecleaning tools at Target.com! swiffer wetjet gives you a great clean on virtually any floor in your home. With a unique dual-nozzle sprayer ...

Swiffer Wetjet Starter Kit - Brand Item

Swiffer Wetjet Starter Kit - Brand Item

Swiffer WetJet Starter Kit - Brand New Item Features: Cleans better than a mop and bucket. Solution formula loosens dirt and lifts it off the floo...