SANITARY NAPKINS AND BLEACH . . CAN BE USED TOGETHER

Mar 10, 2001

The Bottom Line This is a quick, easy and inexpensive personal First Aid Supply Kit that was taught during my Certified Responder Course.

I'd taken the necessary courses to become a Certified First Responder with my local volunteer ambulance department and in addition to learning CPR and other life saving necessities, I learned how to stock a quick and easy first aid kit. (This is NOT the first aid kit we used on the ambulance, but the one suggested we carry in our cars)

The first thing you must remember is in any circumstance, when you need a first aid kit, it is for FIRST AID! Which means the aid you are providing is necessary to the patients health. Therefore, a quick response is the best response.

CHLORINE BLEACH
Forget the peroxide! It's just not strong enough. Fill a plastic bottle with liquid chlorine bleach. Keep it in your first aid kit. The chlorine bleach kills more germs and bacteria than peroxide. It will sterilize anything and everything, tweezers, scissors, hands, wounds - you name it! (this is recommended by hospitals, police and ambulance workers)

SANITARY NAPKINS.
Yes, that's what I said. According to the paramedics and triage hospital personnel I met, they said there is nothing better to control profuse bleeding than a sanitary napkin.

LARGE GAUZE PADS.
Carrying a sample of each size takes up too much room. The larger ones will cover any wound area. You don't have to fumble to find the correct size. Just grab one and it'll do the trick.

ROLL OF LARGE SIZE FLEXIBLE GAUZE.
Again, it's better to have the larger size than fumble around trying trying to find the correct size needed.

CLOTH ADHESIVE TAPE.
Always better than regular adhesive tape. The cloth sticks just as well but tears quicker. Also, many people (I'm one of them) are allergic to the regular adhesive tape. Cloth tape has not been known to produce allergic reactions.

ANTIBACTERIAL OINTMENT (or cream)
Neosporin works best in ALMOST all emergencies.

A & D OINTMENT
This is for BURNS that are blistering. THIS IS IMPORTANT TO KNOW. Burn cream and other burn ointments are used for MILD burns ONLY. If you read the tubes, you will see that they CANNOT be used for burns that are producing blisters. A & D is the ONLY ointment that is used for blistering burns.

TWEEZERS

SCISSORS (rounded tip)

RUBBER GLOVES
helps keep germs from you to the patient and from the patient to you.

RED MAGIC MARKER
Should you need to call the ambulance, list on the forehead of the patient any vital information you've taken. (we were told this area is used to mark down blood pressure and pulse if taken)
In the event you have applied a tourniquet (a piece of rope and a pencil can be used), write with the marker, the time it was applied IN THE AREA TO WHICH IT WAS APPLIED.(this way when paramedics arrive, they look at the wound and see the information immediately)
(Keep in mind, IF you must apply a tourniquet, you CANNOT leave it on indefinitely. After 2 minutes, you MUST loosen it and release the flow of blood. This will prevent gangrene. You can always reapply the tourniquet after 28 seconds, if needed)

Yes, you can have a more sophisticated First Aid kit. However, this list is just mentioning basics used for a QUICK response.

Always remember, in any First Aid situation, time is of the essence and the faster you aid the patient, the quicker the recovery.

Member: Margaret Brennan
Location: Punta Gorda Isles, FL
About Me: Using the name MEG WATERS, my first book MAX is done and available at www.Xlibris.com