Mighty Bright Clip-on Readers Light

ratings (4 Epinions reviews)

A Mighty Bright handy light -- it shines!

Jun 22, 2003

Pros:Light adjusts to any angle, portable, compact, uses batteries or AC adapter, clips-on or stands

Cons:Wish I had discovered it sooner!

The Bottom Line: A great, versatile light. Highly recommended.

I needed a light to illuminate the LCD display in a portable keyboard I use. Sometimes where I use the keyboard, the lighting is too dim to clearly see what I’m typing. Enter the inexpensive Mighty Bright Clip-on Reading Light. This is an excellent compact light that is easy to carry and it shines!

What I like Best

* Many uses -- I find more all the time
* Folds into compact, portable size
* The arm holding the light rotates
* The light shines at any angle
* Can either clip onto something or stand on its base
* The base is broad enough to stand without tipping
* Uses batteries or an AC adapter

How Portable is This Light?

The Mighty Bright light comes in a variety of colors (black, green, purple, blue, gray, as well as fluorescent colors). It is available for purchase in a package with just the Mighty Bright Light, or it can be purchased as a Deluxe Kit that includes the adapter and extra bulbs. I purchased the light by itself for $9.95 and later purchased an adapter.

This light comes folded in the box. When folded, the light measures 5" long x 2 5/8" wide x 2" deep. It is small enough to carry in a purse, totebag, computer bag, suitcase, musical instrument case, craft bag, beachbag or glove compartment ... just about anywhere.

I usually use the Mighty Bright light with batteries; but when operating the light for long periods of time, I use the adapter. When carrying the adapter, it measures 2 1/4" high x 1 3/4" wide x 2 1/2" deep (which includes the prongs).

Operating the Light

Remove the light from the box. A panel on the bottom of the base easily slides open to insert 4 AA batteries (alkaline batteries recommended). A diagram on the bottom of the base shows how to place the batteries. Unfold the light arm, and twist the light into the position you need. Either clip the light to something or set it flat on a surface. Flip the on/off switch to the on position. It’s that simple to use.

If using the adapter, the manufacturer recommends removing the batteries first. The adapter plugs into a regular 120 volt AC household outlet and the cord measures 117" (9 feet, 9 inches long).

When the light stands on a flat surface on an 8 1/2" x 11" sheet of paper, the entire piece of paper is illuminated.

The clamp on the light opens to 1 5/8" wide and holds tight to even one page of paper. With the light adjustable to so many angles, it is easy to clamp the light to the back or front of a book and easy light the pages for reading. A rubber padded area on the clamp protects the pages of a book as well as adds traction for holding the light in place.

How Many Ways Can I Use This Light?

It wasn’t long before the Mighty Bright light found its way into other rooms in the house ... and has even taken road trips.

There are lots of ways to use this light.

* A reading light
* A map light
* An emergency nightlight
* Read music during practice, at recitals, while marching in a parade
* Extra light at the computer, desk or sewing/craft table
* Use at home, school, work and during vacations
* Great for close-work such as calligraphy, cross stitch, embroidery, quilting
* Excellent for crafts such as beadwork, scrapbooking, rubber stamping
* Light up detail work: stamp & coin collecting, model making, detail painting
* Easily see repair work such as fixing eyeglasses, replacing batteries or parts in equipment
* Use it as a light source for solar powered calculators when the light is too dim
* Makes an excellent gift!

Accessories

I purchased my Mighty Bright light and accessories at Borders bookstore. The Mighty Bright light is also available many places online. The prices quoted below, except where noted, are from products available at Borders.

Replacement Lightbulbs
The Mighty Bright light uses one 4.8 volt lightbulb. Replacement lightbulbs are available with two bulbs mounted on a card for $2.49.

AC/DC Adapter
This adapter saves on battery use. When operating the Mighty Bright light for long periods of time, remove the batteries and plug the adapter into an outlet. Purchasing the adapter cost $6.99.

Car Adapter
This adapter plugs into the cigarette lighter in the car, truck or RV. When I was last at Borders, they did not sell these adapters, but I know they are available online for about $8.95.

Deluxe Kit
It saves money by purchasing the Deluxe Kit. This set contains: one Mighty Bright light, one adapter and two replacement lightbulbs at a cost of $15.99.

Summary

This is the best portable light I’ve ever owned. It is easy to clip onto a book, other surface, or to set flat on a table or work area. The light swivels in every direction and offers concentrated light for reading or working. I haven’t had a problem with the batteries draining too quickly, and I plug in the adapter if I’m using the light for prolonged periods of time. This is the handiest portable light I’ve seen. For $9.95 I couldn’t go wrong. I loved this light so much that I purchased several of them for gifts.

I hope you have found this review useful.

Enjoy your day,
Dawn

Specifications

Replacement Bulbs: 4.8 Volts, 0.3A base flashlight bulb
AC/DC Adapter:
Input: 120 Volts 60Hz 5.4W
Output: 4.8 Volts DC
Current: 300mA Max.
Note: The manufacturer states this product is not for young children.
Gold Crest Inc., 650 Ward Drive, Santa Barbara, CA 93111