Comments on Regret being suckered by a low price & false "in stock" status" (4 total)
  Comment Sorted by
Date Written
Re: Re: My SH rating...
by PattyTherre
I actually just did and it was fine.

Things change. Or I was lucky, who knows.

I will write my review soon.

Patty
Jan 14, 2006
5:32 pm PST

Similar Experience
by scripteach
Just last month -- 12-05 -- I had a somewhat similar experience that the original poster had, although mine never got as far as actually receiving any merchandise from RefurbDepot.com.

I ordered an "in stock" home theater stereo system via their online site. I admit I made a mistake by paying with a gift credit card that I had not yet registered with my shipping address. However, I never received _any_ notice of this from the company; I only knew that was an issue because I went online and checked my order status. So I immediately rectified the situation, emailed the RefurbDepot and let them know. Again no correspondence from them, but soon after my card was charged for the theater system and and on Dec. 19 the order status shows that UPS received a notice to pick up my order for delivery. Cool, I'm excited.

But there was no other update until Dec. 22 when the UPS tracking site says that my "BILLING INFORMATION VOIDED"! What!? And again, not a single message from the company, either via email or phone. It's left up to me to call UPS and find out what's going on and they of course refer me right back to RefurbDepot.com. But getting a hold of them by phone doesn't work out because they are not answering. Then when I checked my gift Visa card status online and it showed they had re-credited the amount of my purchase.

What upset me most is that at that point, 10 days after ordering and having all these issues going I did not receive ANY communication form them other than my order confirmation. This is very poor customer relations.

I wrote them (because I couldn't get anyone on the phone), detailing the entire experience and my displeasure and then an entire week later I received the following:

Thank you for your order at RefurbDepot.com. Please
be advised that your order is currently
backordered. Unfortunately, we currently
have no ETA (Estimated Time of Arrival) on this model
please accept our apology for this inconvenience.

So I guess I should count myself lucky, in that I am not out any money or received any bad merchandise, but the shopping experience was extremely frustrating, especially since the home theater system was to be a gift and it was listed on UPS site as being picked up in plenty of time to arrive for Christmas.

Also, there was a very interesting article in the NY TIMES today that reports on questionable electronic e-commerce shops located in Brooklyn, NY, which is where RefurbDepot.com is also situated. Here is a link to that article (NY TIMES online is free, but requires registration):

Shop with care!

Bill
Jan 11, 2006
12:02 pm PST

Re: My SH rating...
by dilbertditto
Please feel free to make a present day purchase from Refurb Depot and then post your experience here in Epinions.
Nov 18, 2005
8:21 pm PST

My SH rating...
by PattyTherre
This incident happened in 2003? That was more than two years ago. Although it was a bad experience, it's hard for me to rate this because two years is a long time and sites change very quickly. Often a site that was stellar two years ago is no longer and vice a versa.

For that reason, I went with a SH rating. It is somewhat helpful to know what happened in June, 2003. But I believe more current experiences would be more helpful to the consumer since, as I said, websites often change their management/style/customer service, etc. over a period of the nearly two and a half years since this transaction was conducted.

Patty