Not for foodies or Gourments.

Jul 5, 2003

Pros:Recipes arranged by staple ingredient, easy-to-follow recipes, full nutritional information, excellent kitchen basics.

Cons:Recipes are either unimaginative or over-the-top in terms of flavors.

The Bottom Line: I would recommend the Better Homes and Gardens New Cook Book to the Novice cook but not to foodies or gourments.

The Better Homes and Garden New Cookbook has some excellent features including nutritional information and food storage tips. However, the recipes are often either unimaginative or over-the-top in terms of the number of different flavors and textures. Although the cookbook has been updated in terms of some of the new features it offers, the recipes do not seem innovative. I believe that the trend these days is toward more simple, fresh and sophisticated foods that don't bog you down. This is where The Better Homes and Garden New Cookbook fails.
I would recommend using this cookbook for its cake and biscuit sections though even in these areas new strides have been made. For some more imaginative, but clean and simple baking recipes, I would strongly recommend one of Donna Hay's cookbooks such as Flavors or Sally James' Fresh and Healthy.
The Better Homes and Gardens New Cookbook DOES offer some tasty looking appetisers but I would recommend them more for outdoor dining such as barbeques than for sit-down dinners.
The New Cookbook also offers meal planning advice though I feel that the menus could be improved upon and enhanced to include the non-fat or low-fat (more realistically) menus. Another advantage to this cookbook is that it clearly marks recipes that are low-fat or non-fat but these seem to be few and far between and anyone who is actively watching their weight would be better off buying a cookbook specifically for that purpose.