Pioneer Photo Albums E-Z Load Memory Book (Standard Colors): Refill: #RW-57

Pioneer Photo Albums E-Z Load Memory Book (Standard Colors): Refill: #RW-57

ratings (4 Epinions reviews)

Good for archival use, but inconvenient for regular scrapbookers

Jul 29, 2003

Pros:Acid-free, lignin-free pages, nice post-bound loading style

Cons:Pages are not to size, so trimming is required

The Bottom Line: A good archival-quality product, but I wouldn't recommend this product for full-time scrapbookers looking for convenient, time-saving products.

This line of memory books from Pioneer has a lot going for it. From its terrific archival-quality features to the color and size selection, E-Z Load Memory Books have great potential. From the standpoint of a committed and professional scrapbook artist, however, I can't recommend them. With other products available on the market, this type of memory book is inconvenient.

The EZ-Load Memory Book has a lot of essential features for an archival scrapbook. The pages are acid-free and lignin-free, plus the page protectors are PVC-free--all necessary for safe photo storage. The post-bound book binding style is refillable and great for rearranging pages. The color selection is good, in addition to the variety of sizes available. In addition, the price is competitive and you can find them in every craft store and in many other stores, such as Walmart and Target.

From a seasoned scrapbooker's standpoint, however, I must add a drawback to these Pioneer books. The albums marked 12" x 12" do not have 12" x 12" pages. This means, if you're creating scrapbook pages using paper from a scrapbook or craft store, you will need to trim the sides and the tops of your pages in order to get them to fit in the album. If these were the only types of albums available, I'd say this is a small price to pay. However, with so many other manufacturers creating true 12" x 12", 8.5" x 11" and 5" x 7" pages, I'd be hard-pressed to recommend this line as your regular album source.

While this product line has great features, and I might even recommend the smaller 5" x 7" size for an occasional gift album, I wouldn't recommend this product for your family albums. Instead, I suggest you find a manufacturer with true-to-size pages, which will save you time and be much more convenient for your longer scrapbook projects. My top three favorites are Dalee Books, Memories, and Kolo albums.