Over Macho Grande? No, I'll Never Get Over Macho Grande

Mar 24, 2001 (Updated Feb 24, 2005)

Popular Products in Movies
HASH(0xa55c36c)  Reviews
From $6
The Bottom Line You can't go wrong watching any of these films. They're all great and very funny, not to mention stupid and childish. But, that's what makes them so wonderful.

When it comes to spoof films, I don’t know if the list is really a Top 10. In reality, it might be thought of as a Bottom 10. A really good spoof film is stupid, dumb and incredibly entertaining. None of the films on my list are going to be thought of as The Godfather or Chinatown. However, they are all wonderfully funny films that always bring a smile to my face. So, here we go...

10) Loaded Weapon 1-This film always seems to be forgotten when it comes to spoof films, but it does have some really funny things in it. Samuel L. Jackson and Emilio Estevez star in the Lethal Weapon spoof. The best/funniest part of the film is when Bruce Willis’ trailer gets attacked and he waves the white flag to surrender. Quid pro quo Mr. Colt. What does that mean? It means I’m pretentious.

9) Hot Shots! Part Deux--The first Hot Shots! was all about making fun of Top Gun. The sequel is all about making fun of everything. This doesn’t quite measure up to the original, but it’s still great. Who knew that gummy bears could be used in hand-to-hand combat? These men have a supreme vow of celibacy, like their fathers, and their fathers before them.

8) Spaceballs-Spaceballs serves as the perfect parody to the greatest trilogy of all time (hush Lord Of The Rings fans). Bill Pullman, John Candy and Rick Moranis star in the film. So much about the Star Wars universe is brought into the film and it’s amazing how Mel Brooks could weave almost everything from three films into one parody smorgasbord. Everything from Pizza The Hut to the never-ending merchandising is hit on. I'm a mog: half man, half dog. I'm my own best friend!

7) Austin Powers: International Man Of Mystery-I wasn’t quite sure if I should include this on the spoof list. Yes, technically it is a dead on spoof of James Bond and to a lesser extent Matt Helm films. However, it has a little different feeling than the others on the list. Dr. Evil steals the show. I can watch his monologue that takes place at the “father/son” meeting over and over. My father would womanize, he would drink. He would make outrageous claims like he invented the question mark.

6) Airplane II: The Sequel!-Robert Hayes returns as Striker and he is forced into duty again to save the troubled lunar shuttle. William Shatner doesn’t quite remember Striker, but then again, “that’s not exactly true.” This film doesn’t quite measure up to the original, but it’s darn close. The courtroom scene is great. Doctor, can you give the Court your impression of Mr. Striker? I'm sorry. I don't do impressions. My training is in psychiatry.

5) Young Frankenstein-This is probably my favorite Mel Brooks movie. I have only seen bits and pieces of the old Frankenstein movies, but Brooks actually used the same set as the original. Gene Wilder is fabulous as Dr. Frankenstein and Peter Boyle is superb as the monster. However, Marty Feldman steals the show as Dr. Frankenstein’s not so able assistant, IgorStay close to the candles, the stairway can be treacherous.

4) Naked Gun: From The Files Of Police Squad!-Leslie Nielsen stars as Lt. Frank Drebin and what a Lieutenant he is. I am amazed at how he can keep a straight face throughout the film. Priscilla Pressley is also great in the picture. Does it get any better than when Enrico Pallazzo saves the queen? PS-Be sure to check out some of the old Police Squad television shows to see where many of the ideas came from. Just think, next time I shoot someone, I could be arrested.

3) Hot Shots!-Top Gun needed a parody and Hot Shots! hits it right on the head. Charlie Sheen and Valeria Golino star in the picture. Much of the film serves as a joke on Top Gun. However, there are funny spoofs on 9 1/2 Weeks, Fabulous Baker Boys and countless others. Lloyd Bridges has some memorable lines, especially at the funeral for Dead Meat. What do you do with an elephant with 3 balls? Walk him and pitch to the rhino.

2) Top Secret!-This film seems to be overlooked when it comes to the “classic” tag. Val Kilmer stars in the World War II parody. One of the funniest scenes is the one in the Swedish bookstore. The entire scene was actually filmed backwards and then shown in the opposite direction (I hope that makes sense). The scenes with the “informer” are also great. What fake dog poop?

1) Airplane! -This is the granddaddy of them all. I can’t begin to describe this film. It is a basic parody of all disaster movies, but Airport most specifically. Robert Hayes, Julia Haggerty, Leslie Nielsen, Lloyd Bridges and Kareem Abdul-Jabbar star in the film. The exchange with Kareem and the cockpit-visiting youngster is hysterical. There are too many classic lines, but I’ll leave you with a few. The survival of everyone on board depends on just one thing: finding someone on board who can not only fly this plane, but who didn't have fish for dinner. and I am serious and stop calling me Shirley

So, if you are bored on a rainy day or having a big get together, you can put any of these films on and you will be entertained for the hour and a half that they play. Well, I hope you’ve enjoyed my list. Now, I’ve got to go to the hospital. “Why, what is it? It’s a big building with a lot of sick people, but that’s not important right now.”

Location: Houston, Texas
About Me: With today's gas prices, we can't afford not to buy a pony.