Mr. Coffee Glass Carafe With Lid Mr. Coffee Glass Carafe With Lid

Mr. Coffee Glass Carafe With Lid

ratings (1 Epinions review)

Need A Mr. Coffee Replacement Carafe? This Will Work But Is It Worth It?

Nov 13, 2003 (Updated May 2, 2006)

Pros:Will fit a plethora of Mr. Coffee units, newer carafe design.

Cons:Is it really worth $12.99?

The Bottom Line: Unless you have an emotional attachment to your coffee maker, invest in a new unit rather than buying the replacement carafe.

When I went out of town last week I left a list of instructions, one of which was “Do not touch the coffee maker”. It’s not that I didn’t want anyone to use it but I know my coffee maker and I know it can be a fickle piece of machinery. I am an ice tea and hot tea junkie and go through several pots of it a day so in a lot of ways my coffee maker is really a tea maker – some purpose, different end result. When I came home the house was spotless, top to bottom – and not a dirty dish as far as the eye could see. This was the first tip off. As I started to unpack I got the urge for a nice strong cup of hot tea so I headed upstairs to brew up a pot in my coffee marker. Grab the carafe, fill to the neck band, pour into the chamber, toss in the tea bags, plug in, turn on … wait. As I was leaning against the counter something struck me as being a little off, you know that feeling – like something is out of place. I started to look at the long counter top to see what was missing but try as I might, everything seemed in place. That’s when I turned and looked at my coffee maker, more to the point the carafe. When did it suddenly sprout a white handle and lid? It took a little bribing with the youngest of the brood, but I finally got the full story. “Someone” used it, broke it and tried to replace it without me knowing about it.

Mr. Coffee 12 Cup Glass Carafe

To say that I have gone through my fair share of coffee makers would be an understatement. The heating elements burn out, the cords get damaged or most often, the carafe breaks on accident or after being left on the heater for too long with nothing inside. If I had to guess I’d say I have tossed out at least ten coffee makers over the past five years because the carafes broke. I just wasn’t prepared to purchase a replacement carafe for $10.00 - $12.00 when I could get a new coffee maker for almost the same price. Since this was purchased on the sly by “someone” [who shall remain nameless for the time being] looking to replace a broken carafe I didn’t have to fork out the cash for it – but at the same time – I didn’t have a say in the purchase. I would have opted for a new coffee maker instead of the replacement carafe but again; I had no say in the matter.

This carafe is a little different looking than the one that I have with my current Mr. Coffee [AD-10]. Size wise it has the same capacity, twelve cups, but the handle and lid are white where my old one was black. It fits into the coffee maker perfectly and the hole size in the top is also a perfect match. This was the only thing that really concerned me because the coffee maker has a “sneak a cup mode” where you can remove the carafe when it is brewing without having water drip down. If that hole didn’t match up, I’d be in for a real mess when the brewing started or when I went to replace the carafe after getting a quick cup. I finally managed to find the empty box in the outside trash [they didn’t do a very good job on hiding it] and started to look and see if this was indeed the correct replacement model. According to the box this was the right replacement unit and it turns out that it will also fit about twenty other Mr. Coffee coffee makers as well.

Price

As I said, I didn’t pay for this but I finally managed to weasel it out of the brood and Chris how much it cost. They found it at Wal-Mart for $12.99 but I am sure that if you shop around you could find it for a few dollars less. Personally, I think purchasing a replacement carafe is a waste when you can get a whole new system for the same price or a few dollars more. The only exception to this would be if you have a high end Mr. Coffee unit or are emotionally attached to it. Yes, I do love my coffee maker but if push comes to shove and I need to choose between paying $12.99 for a carafe or $14.99 for a new coffee maker – which one do you think I am going to go with? The carafe is nice but I would have a hard time making this purchase if I had to – it just makes more sense to get a whole new unit.

The Bottom Line

This has been in use since the beginning of the week and functions the same as the old one. The box it was packaged in was made of thick cardboard but that doesn’t mean that it hasn’t been subjected to some rough handling so if you are in the market for one of these, make sure you open the box and check it out first. There is a good bit of folded cardboard inside the coffee pot and I would assume it is like folding a map – once it get it open there is no chance of getting it back to the same shape so only open the box and poke around if you are willing to make a purchase [or stand there for twenty minutes trying to get it back in the box]. I have to give this replacement carafe high marks for acting just as great as the original that came with my coffee maker as well as it having the ability to be used by about twenty different Mr. Coffee models. If price isn’t a factor then by all means this is the very best option for replacing a damaged or broken coffee pot.

As always, thanks for the read!

~^V^~ Freak ~^V^~

© 2006 Freak369

Related reviews ...

Black & Decker Versatoast Toaster, Mr. Coffee 12 Cup Coffee Maker, Sharp Microwave Oven [R-308H], Mr. Coffee Coffee Maker [AD10], Black & Decker “Long Slot” 2 Slice Toaster [T2750], Toastmaster Handheld Blender [1750], Rival Hot Pot, Toastmaster Sandwich Maker [TSM4SAN], Braun Aroma Deluxe Timer Coffeemaker 10 Cup [KF580], General Electric Microwave Oven [JVM1440], Dirt Devil Classic Hand Held Vacuum, Wahl Hair Trimmer [8647], Mr Coffee Pump Pot [PP5], Dirt Devil Scorpion Handheld Cordless Vacuum, Black & Decker Thermal Carafe 8 Cup Coffeemaker