Is it wrong to love a blender?

Dec 16, 2003

Pros:Great looking, solid, performs well, easy to clean.

Cons:3 prong plug - this small inconvenience is easily resolved with an adapter.

The Bottom Line: I'm very happy with my purchase and suspect I'll be using this beautiful blender for a LONG time. Check out the Waring MBB for additional reviews.

I’m in agreement with other Epinion reviewers who have given The Waring PBB and the Waring MBB an enthusiastic thumbs up. I believe the only difference between the two models is that the MBB has a metal finish and the PBB has an enameled finish. Both blenders feature a heavy metal base, commercial grade 2 speed motor and a 40 oz. “cloverleaf” glass carafe.

I was a little reluctant to purchase a Waring because they didn’t get a particularly favorable comparative rating in the July 2003 Consumer Reports, ranking 13th out of 22 blenders reviewed. The MBB they tested performed well in all categories but they judged it only “fair” on convenience. CR recommends choosing a blender with a removable blade. The Waring PBB's carafe has a non-removable blade. I was concerned that this might make the carafe difficult to clean, but if you follow the manufacturers instructions, clean-up is very simple.

This is the first blender I’ve owned that I’ve gotten good results when making a blended frozen cocktail. I’ve had equal success pureeing hot soups.

For me, the biggest plus is it’s appearance. The design is from the 1930s – it’s simple, classic and “new vintage” without being kitschy. According to the Waring website, the PBB is available in Retro Green, Ebony, Chili Red and Quite White. A little comparison shopping on the internet turned up Cobalt, Deja Blue, Metallic Blue, Hunter Green, Sage, Pineapple Yellow, Sunshine Yellow, Claret, Garnet, Plumnificent, Terra Cotta, Copper Blush, Dove and Linen Beige.

BANANA DAIQUIRI

1 1/2 oz. light rum
1 tbsp. dark rum
1 tbsp, triple sec
1 1/2 oz. fresh lime juice
1 medium banana, sliced

1 cup ice

Combine the first 5 ingredients in a blender. Blend until smooth, adding the ice cubes one at a time as suggested by the owner's manual. Pour into a stemmed glass, garnish with a banana slice or lime circle.