Drano Max Gel Clog Remover

ratings (28 Epinions reviews)

Plumbers beware... Drano Max Gel Clog Remover may put you out of business!

Dec 28, 2003

Pros:Works quickly, works very well, long-lasting

Cons:May be a little too thick -- causes splashing in standing water

The Bottom Line: I highly recommend Drano Max Gel Clog Remover for the toughest of clogs. You'll never need another product.

My hair sheds like an Angora cat. I don’t appear to be going bald or anything. . . I just think all of my normal hair is falling out and being replaced by gray. Even with drain “catchers,” hair still manages to go down the drain. So, the long hair and other unmentionable funk can clog a drain fast.

I have tried many drain-care products – from Professional Strength Liquid Plumr to that enzyme stuff. None of it really worked all that well. Enzymes didn’t work at all, and the Liquid Plumr opened my clogs only slightly. Draining was slow, and it would clog back up again in less than a month. There’s not much that’s more irritating that trying to clean a bathtub that can’t drain worth a flip. So, off I go in search of something industrial strength – the last try before calling a real plumber. Then I found it – golden manna from free-flowing drain heaven: Drano Max Gel Clog Remover.

Product Description and Ingredients

Drano Max Gel Clog Remover is an extremely thick, clear gel, and comes in a 64 fl oz red plastic bottle with handle. It has a rather bleachy smell, which makes more sense, since bleach is a key ingredient:

Sodium hydroxide, Sodium hypochlorite, Sodium silicate, and surfactants. Drano Max Gel Clog Remover contains no phosphorus.

Instructions for Use

Drano Max Gel Clog Remover requires using half the amount of most other products. The instructions state to pour ¼ bottle directly into the drain, and for slow-draining or clogs, to use ½ bottle. It has been my experience that only ¼ bottle has been necessary to clean the nastiest of clogs. After pouring, flush with hot water. The manufacturer doesn’t state how long to flush, but I normally let it run for 2/3 minutes. If necessary, repeat the process. Ever since I started using this product, I’ve never had to repeat.

For garbage disposal drains, use the same instructions, and take care to not turn on the disposal until you’ve completed the process and are sure the drain is cleared. Doing so may cause the product to splash back.

Caveats

When pouring, you may be tempted to squeeze the bottle – don’t. The gel is extremely thick and slow-pouring. Squeezing will cause large glops of gel to come out and splash. Any gel that is spilled should be cleaned immediately, and plungers should never be used in conjunction with this product. Drano Max Gel Clog Remover is not for use in toilets, and should be kept completely away from children – during use and in storage. This stuff is very caustic, and will cause burning in eyes, mucous membranes, and on skin.

As with any other household product, do not mix with any other products – violent eruptions and release of dangerous gasses may occur.

First Aid

Eyes and Skin: Rinse immediately with water for 15 minutes
Ingestion: Drink a glass of milk or water, and DO NOT induce vomiting. The caustic nature of this product will cause double damage to the esophagus on the way back up.

For any of the above, immediately contact a physician or Poison Control Center.

How Well it Works

As you can tell from the caveats, this is some powerful stuff. So, what are Drano’s claims and how do they stack up?

Clings to clogs longer to attack and remove them better -- I have no way of knowing just how long it clings, but I do know my drains are slick as whistles, and stay cleaner longer than with other products.

Better than Professional Strength Liquid Plumr -- I can thoroughly attest that this is true. Professional Strength Liquid Plumr cleaned my drain only half as well as Drano Max Gel Clog Remover.

Starts working immediately -- It sure does! I had a really clogged kitchen sink on the disposal side – so bad, it backed up into the adjoining sink. About a minute or so after pouring Drano Max Gel Clog Remover into the standing water, the sink began draining. . . which takes care of the next claim:

Pours through standing water -- It does so rather well and rather quickly.

Removes hair, soap scum, and gunk -- I think that this stuff would remove a small troll if it were stuck in the drain. I see nothing but clean as far as I can see down the drain.

Safe on all pipes, septic systems, and garbage disposals -- This is true in my case, plus it cleans my sink while it’s working.

Drano Max Gel Clog Remover works great and has saved me loads of money for not having to call a plumber. The only con is that it may be a little too thick. Even with slow pouring, there is still some splashing with standing water. Then again, I’m probably just being picky.

If you have tough clogs and slow drains, I highly recommend Drano Max Gel Clog Remover. You’ll never need anything else!

Thanks for the read!