Electrolux Assistent Stand Mixer DLX2000C

Electrolux Assistent Stand Mixer DLX2000C

ratings (4 Epinions reviews)

SEND THAT WEIRD LOOKING THING BACK!: Electrolux Assistent DLX2000

Dec 29, 2003 (Updated Aug 17, 2005)

Pros:best bread dough EVER,efficient, ingredients easy-to-add,quiet,easy-to-clean

Cons:manual a bit cryptic, pricey, hard-to-find

The Bottom Line: In my search for that mixer utopia, I seem to have found my niche. Time will tell, but for now, the ASSISTENT is my dream mixer!

I was in the middle of making a double batch of bread dough in my mixer. Wow. What a sound. That mixer had been such a staple to our household for 16 years. I was proud to own the Kitchen Aid 5 quart mixer.

In the middle of my peaceful reverie exploded a bombshell......

"Honey, I think that the mixer is dying."

I jerked to reality.

"DYING! DYING? What the heck are you talking about? You are imagining it."

My happy little world had just got a crack in it and the happy juice was about to start leaking out.

After seeing my hostile reaction to his assessment, my husband abandoned the idea of mentioning that to me again. It was not until my son came home from his metal trades training class that my world was about to crash.

"Hey Mom, I think that something is wrong with the mixer. You can hear that it is not as good as it used to be. I think it needs to be repaired before it breaks really badly."

I was not amused or happy at his information, and I angrily ignored his prognosis. However, the seed was planted. I had better start looking for another mixer, and pronto. When we were offered to have a Christmas gift purchased for us of whatever we needed, that gave me the extra boost to begin my search.

WHAT DO I NEED TO HAVE IN A MIXER?

When I called the only repair center within hundreds of miles of here, I was getting dismal. The repair could be anywhere from $80-$250 for the mixer, depending on what was going on it. That was almost the price of a new mixer. I was even more horrified to learn that if the repair was even more extensive, the price could be higher!

Well, since we really use our mixer daily and have for 16 years, I thought it might be prudent to look and see what Kitchen Aid had come to make now.

After looking around, my husband and I had set ourselves upon buying the PROFESSIONAL 6 QUART KITCHEN AID MIXER. It was bigger and had almost double the wattage- it HAD to be better than our other one, right?

It was not until I thought of EPINIONS and the tremendous help it has been for saving money and avoiding headaches, that my perspective began to change drastically.

It appeared that the KITCHEN AID 6QT MIXER was not really so professional and there were a ton of problems and malfunctions with it. I researched the internet and found tremendous amounts of horror stories all over it about people who have purchased KITCHEN AID mixers in the last few years.

We could not tolerate being without one for any time, so I sat dejected trying to figure out what to do.

Without that brand mixer, I had no idea what kind I would be able to get to meet all of our needs. So, I made a list. Keep in mind that we grind our own whole grain flour so most of the requirements I have on a mixer are a bit more intense than many others who use mixers with white flour......

BAKING AT LEAST 2 LOAVES OF WHOLE WHEAT BREAD THAT ARE 1 1/2 LB EACH
MAKING PIE CRUST
WHIPPING CREAM
MAKING FLUFFY CAKES
MAKING LARGE BATCHES OF COOKIES
WHIPPING ONE-TWELVE EGG WHITES
MASH 5 LB COOKED POTATOES

Those were the main things we used the mixer for constantly.

WHAT KIND OF MIXER WOULD MEET MY NEEDS?

It was through a few of the comments on Epinions and other sites that I started to consider if there was a mixer that would meet my needs as a professional level baker for my family.

We had seen a demonstration of the BOSCH MIXER in the past, but it did not seem the kind of mixer we really wanted. The bowl bending all over the place was weird to me, so I did not really want it. Plus it sprawled all over the counter. I remembered some people telling us that it needed large sized batches all of the time to make it work well.

I looked at the DELONGHI mixer, but it just did not seem right, and the reviews of it were less than stellar.

After quite a few days of endless searching, I finally decided that the BOSCH was better than nothing and that I could live with it. I called several different places and asked all of the questions that I could. One woman stuck out to me in her personal account.

SEND THAT WEIRD MIXER AWAY!

When I had called to talk with this woman, we began talking about my concern that the KITCHEN AID was what I was used to and not they quality they were making anymore. We talked about different kinds of mixers and then the BOSCH. After quite a long conversation, I was just not happy with the larger batch demands of the BOSCH and the not so industrial construction of the newer smaller BOSCH line. I was about ready to give up, when she said something that caught my attention.

The woman told me that if I wanted to try out a mixer that would do little and large loads, up to 10 loaves of bread, in fact, that she did know where I could get a mixer that would do just that.

She told me that her company had suggested that as a demo person, she should try out this mixer. She usually would demo a model for a while, sell it, and then purchase another one to keep up in the market.

So, obediently, she ordered this mixer, and when she got it, she hated it. She pinched her finger, hated the look of it, saw the low wattage, and thought it was a hideous joke. She packed it right up and sent it back.

After time, people kept calling and telling her that those who bought the BOSCH mixers were having to bring out their KITCHEN AID mixers to do small loads. That was making them very upset, and they wondered if she had tried this other mixer- the one she sent back.

This mixer was the ELECTROLUX ASSITENT DLX 2000.

WHAT IS THIS MIXER LIKE?

Upon further conversation, this woman told me about this mixer and how she ended up buying it again after being pestered by many people. She said it had a learning curve, but that it really was a nice mixer. After using this ELECTROLUX ASSISTENT DLX 2000 for a year, she would never go back to any other mixer (including BOSCH) despite having used them for years.

I was intrigued. 10 loaves of bread is a lot of bread, and I sure could use a larger mixer. I looked around and decided to get this mixer as our Christmas present we had been offered. Unfortunately, there were no places that even heard of this mixer near me, so I had to go sight unseen.

I did a lot more research, and found that this mixer would most likely do better than any other one on the market at this time.

When I ordered the mixer after taking a family vote on it being the Christmas present we were promised, I was repeatedly told that I had a 30 day money back guarantee- I think that the salesperson probably thought I would return it and hate it like that other woman did!

When I got the mixer, I could understand why she did not like it at first. It is quite unusual looking, and very different to use. I will try my best to describe what it is like.

FEATURES

The mixer is a very sleek mixer, there are almost no crevices for dirt to settle into. A GREAT feature.

The bowl sits on a pin, which locks it into place into a slot on the bottom of the bowl. The pin turns the bowl around.

As you face the mixer, the stand has a small arm the goes up the left side, and forms a small arm over the back of the bowl rim away from you, the spectator. There is nothing over the bowl, like in traditional mixers.

On this arm, is a hole. In that hole, goes a metal spindle which holds a hard nylon scraper which you can adjust to go along the side of the bowl as it goes around. There is no rotating beater, like in traditional mixers.

On the end of the arm that caresses the back of the bowl rim is a pin. You lift that pin, and you can put on either a nylon beater of sorts (looks a bit like a fist with the kind of depressions you would see in a gear or auger along the edges of it), or you can put in the dough hook- an industrial stainless steel hook that allows you to make up to 10 loaves of bread- about 3/4 lb each.

There are two lighted dials on the front bottom of the mixer. The left dial is either ON/OFF or timer up to 12 minutes. The right dial allows for infinite adjustment from slow to very fast speed of the bowl rotation. The speeds are from 45-130 RPM.

There is a spatula that comes with it to clean off the roller, scraper, and the dough hook.

HOW THIS MIXER OPERATES

In both cases, the stainless steel bowl (which is so heavy gauge that you could kill someone with it if you swung it hard enough) has the scraper running along the edge allowing for clearing of batter or dough and complete mixing.

The interesting part of this mixer is that this arm which stays at the far side of the bowl generally, is adjustable. It can be moved on a spring loaded mechanism toward the center of the bowl, and then snap back to the side, allowing for complete mixing.

The scraper is also mobile, and you can move it a bit to allow for pieces of dough or batter to mix in more completely.

FOLLOW AN EXAMPLE OF A RECIPE

So, let's say that you want to make a loaf of bread. You start up the mixer using the lighted dial to the left. That dial can be set to either ON or any time up to 12 minutes.

Okay, I am going to make two 1 1/2 lb loaves of bread. So, I start the mixer with 4 cups of water in it. I put in about 5 cups of flour or so. I leave the arm at the edge of the bowl. Because of a rubber gasket on the top of the roller which fits into the groove at the top of the bowl, the roller goes around with the bowl. The light load of flour allows me to keep the roller to the side.

I put in the yeast and run the mixer on medium high for about 3 minutes. The nice starter allows the bread to proof the yeast, and feed the yeast without over feeding it like adding sweetner too soon tends to do.

Okay, I let that rise and in about 1/2 hour, I return to the mixer. I set the arm to go within 3/4 inches of the side of the bowl. That is done with a nice knob at the end of it. I start the mixer on Medium high and gradually add 1/4 c honey, 1 tsp sea salt and more fresh ground whole wheat flour, until it looks to be the correct consistency.

The dough takes a while to congeal and form a nice dough. I set the timer for 8 minutes, and LEAVE THE ROOM TO DO OTHER STUFF! I come back when the timer stops to find a lovely dough all ready to put in the pans, where they will rise for about a half hour and then bake for 350 degrees in cast iron bread pans for 35 minutes.

The dough that results is the nicest dough I have ever seen. It is very glutenous, highly kneaded, light, and rises twice as high as it ever has with any other method I have used the identical recipe for.

WHAT HAVE I USED THIS MIXER FOR?

So far, I have used this mixer for a double batch of cookies. I have used it for dumplings, bread, and making the most delectable turkey substitute that I have ever had.

This mixer makes the most wonderful seitan, wheat gluten, fake meats, whatever you want to call it. The dough hook is best for that.

MY REACTIONS TO THIS MIXER SO FAR

I do not usually elect to write a review of an appliance until I have used to for a long time to test it, but in this case, I wanted to do something a little different. Because I went through so much to find this mixer, learn about it, and then try to find someone to explain it to me, I wanted to have a play by play sort of review to help anyone out there that may have been in the same place I have been.

I plan to update this review as I learn more about this mixer and using it, for those of you out there that crave information like I do and want to know all that you can know about a product before investing your very hard earned money in it.

This mixer is different. That is a surety. It is sleek, very easy to clean, and although I never thought I would say this, I like it better than my KITCHEN AID 5 QT so far. The bread alone is delightful and worth the money in this machine.

The process is very different with the machine. You will not get the same reactions of ingredients immediately like you do with a Kitchen Aid type mixer. Creaming butter is strange, but the end result is equal or better than my other mixers have been. The butter glumps up for minutes and just when you think it is hopeless, the mixer kicks it into the lightest creamed butter I have ever seen!

Cookie dough is delightful. It does not strain at all.

Pie Dough? I have not tried it yet. I will keep you updated as I do.

I have to say that this mixer evokes the same thrill I have had from using the SOYAJOY SOY MILK MAKER. It is truly fun to use and a snap to clean up.

The only problem I have had with it so far is that when I made a "turkey" roast in it with wheat gluten, it did walk just a little tiny bit on the counter, however, with three loaves of whole wheat bread (total 4 1/2 lbs dough) it did not move at all on the counter.

SPECIFICATIONS

What this mixer comes with:

8QT stainless steel bowl
roller
scraper
dough hook
spatula for cleaning
plastic bowl for eggs, cream and light sponge cakes
double whisks for using with plastic bowl
drive gear for whisks
manual (definitely not a verbose or overdone manual)

This is designed to knead up to 23 cup flour bread dough in the stainless bowl with roller or dough hook(about 5 1/2 lb loaves, or 10 very small loaves), the plastic bowl and whips can handle up to 3 1/2 c cream, 20 egg whites, 10 1/2 cups pancake batter, and 3 batches sponge cake batter.

450 watt motor does not sound powerful, but the gear torque is superior to any other mixer I have used. Comes in chrome, chrome/black, gray metallic (my version) and white (standard).

Dials are lit while machine is plugged in with orange light. Clear to see. Polarized NOT THREE PRONGED plug- cord is about 4 1/2 ft long. Heavy gauge cord.

Has attachments available for: Sausage making, meat grinding, blender, berry press, pasta, cookies (press), grain grinder, grain flaker (muesli), veggie slicer, grater, citrus fruit press.

Footprint of the machine is very close to that of the KITCHEN AID 5 QT MIXER with the exception being two inches shorter in height. It is more square than long in its cubic occupation of space than the Kitchen Aid also.

CLOSING COMMENTS

I have not used this mixer long- only shy of two weeks. However, we have tested it intensely during that time, so we can see if it will truly fit our needs. I plan to keep this review current by adding my observations and experiences as I have time.

I have not used the plastic bowl yet, but plan to this week.

So far, I am crazy about this mixer, and have the advantage of knowing that someone else was freaked out by it, returned it and had to buy it again. At least I was not unprepared for the different kind of machine it is.

Pie Crust is my only concern with this mixer. When I try it, I will report on how it went as soon as I get the chance.

The manual is rather odd- you have to discover your own niche with this mixer. The manual is adequate but not highly motivational, that is for sure.

All in all, considering the rising repair rate for BOSCH and KITCHEN AID mixers, the tendency of BOSCH to walk off the counter and fall onto the floor, the versatility of the ELECTROLUX ASSISTENT in doing very small to very big amounts equally well, I think I have chosen the best mixer I could get at this time.

Hopefully this almost negligible repair record of the last 60 years will hold true for this mixer as well. I did speak with one woman who actually talked to a few people who had their mixers still going strong after 60-40 years! I hope that the newer mixers are still that caliber! So far from my experience it sounds really solid.

OTHER INTERESTING INFORMATION

This machine is Swedish in origin. Designed by ELECTROLUX, a Swedish company, the US rights seem to be owned by MAGIC MILL in the US. I believe their web site is www.magicmillusa.com

The design has remained the same for 60 years at this present time. Designed for European women who preserved, and heavily used their kitchens for years on end, this machine is designed to be a work horse, not for the occasional cooking dabbler.

Formerly in the US, it was called the MAGIC MILL DLX, but for some reason, the name in the US was changed in January of 2003 to the ELECTROLUX ASSISTENT DLX 2000, I suspect to make it like the European model- more uniform. The design is still identical, just the name has been changed. You can see a photo of an old model on the site http://www.magicmillusa.com/history.php.

There is more information about this mixer at www.magicmillusa.com.

It boasts a hefty price tag of $450-699 depending on where you find it.

Ours was purchased at www.pleasanthillgrains.com, where they offer a 30 day money back guarantee.

UPDATE AUGUST 17, 2005- STILL loving this mixer. The only thing I have changed is that I do pie crusts in the blender or food processor. Other than that, if I were to have to change mixers, I would be frustrated. I LOVE the timer feature- I can literally knead bread and walk away. My husband loves this mixer too. It is such a great mixer