Tide HE High-Efficiency Laundry Detergent

ratings (13 Epinions reviews)

Tide HE Laundry Detergent - The Best Detergent for Front Loading Washers

Feb 17, 2004 (Updated Feb 27, 2004)

Pros:Gets clothes clean, fresh smell, excellent stain remover

Cons:A bit pricey

The Bottom Line: I highly recommend Tide HE Liquid Laundry Detergent for anyone with a front loading washer machine for fresh clean clothes with high performance.

If you are researching for a front loading washing machine or have bought one already, then you know or will soon learn that regular laundry detergent does not work well in a front loading washing machine.

Some will say you can use regular laundry detergent but just use less. I tried this idea and it does not work. Why? Too much suds was my first result and laundry not getting clean was my 2nd result when using even less laundry detergent to avoid the oversudsing. High efficiency washers use less water and less energy. Your dirty laundry however still has the same amount of dirt and stains to be cleaned.

Front loading washers do not have the agitator, therefore they are more gentler on your clothes, however there is no rubbing of the clothes without the agitator since your laundry lifts and falls with the tumbling system, therefore no rubbing of the laundry detergent. Instead, Tide HE surrounds the loose dirt in the water to ensure the dirt does not redeposit back onto the laundry.

Also, since front loading washers do use less water, there is less water in the tub to remain warm and high efficiency detergents are designed to remove stains and dirt at a cooler temperature.

When I first bought our front loading machine 4 years ago, the only high efficiency laundry detergent that I could find locally was Tide HE. The price was twice as high as my former regular laundry detergent, but soon I learned that I used 1/2 less so in all actuality, the initial cost was more, but the end result was the same.

Tide HE Laundry Detergent is especially formulated for front loading washing machines such as Frigidaire, Maytag, Kenmore, Miele, Bosch, GE, and Whirlpool.

Tide HE Laundry Detergent is formulated to dissolve those stains and cut through the dirt with less warm water.

Tide HE is available in a powder form and liquid. I buy the liquid form due to having a septic tank and liquid detergents are safer for those who are on a septic system.

The bottle I buy is 100 ounces and is offered at most stores.

Proctor and Gamble is the manufacturer of Tide and also offers Gain HE liquid detergent. I use both of these products.

Since Tide is approximately $2.00 more a bottle than Gain, I use Tide for my tougher cleaning laundry and Gain for my regular everyday wear.

Tide HE has a pleasant fragrance, but those who are looking for fragrance free will not find it in Tide or Gain. When removing my clothes from the washer, they smell so clean. However, when I tried using a lower dosage of regular detergent there was no clean fresh smell.

Tide HE has always gotten my regular stains out and keeps my clothes looking bright and not dingy. For tougher stains (such as spaghetti sauce), I use a stain remover product and dab a little Tide HE on the stain and scrub a bit for extra precaution. I do find Tide HE gets tougher stains out than Gain which is the reason I use both.

If you have a front loading machine that has a window on the front, the general rule of thumb is that if you can see suds on the window, you are using too much detergent which will start showing in your clothes not lasting as long due to soap being left in them and starting to look dingy.

I normally use approximately 1/3 of a capful for a full load of laundry and so far this has been just right to see some inkling of suds but not too much.

Give Tide HE a try and see the amazing results you will have. I think you will be pleasantly surprised.

For everyday laundry, try Gain HE.