Gain HE Laundry Detergent

21 consumer reviews
Average Product Rating: Disappointing

Gain HE Laundry Detergent - The Inexpensive Detergent for Front Loading Machines

Feb 27, 2004

Pros:Inexpensive, fresh smell, gets everyday clothes clean

Cons:Not for tough stains

The Bottom Line: I highly recommend Gain HE detergent for your every day dirty laundry.

We have owned our front loading washing machine for almost 5 years now. When we first bought it, I could only find one high efficiency liquid laundry detergent on the market and that was Tide.

Gain HE and Tide HE are both made by Proctor and Gamble, however, Gain HE has just recently come out on the market.

Gain HE is specially formulated like its counterpart Tide HE for the high efficiency front loading washing machines, except it is alot less in price than Tide.

If you are researching on front loading washing machines or already own one, regular laundry detergent no matter how little of it you try to use does not work well. Too much of it and you get tons of suds which remains in your clothes. Too little of it and your dirty laundry remains dirty. This is the purpose of the high efficiency detergent. Clean washing using less water with less suds.

I buy the 100 ounce of liquid Gain HE for $4.99 at Walmart. I use Gain for most of my laundry needs while saving my bottle of Tide HE for my tougher laundry that is heavily soiled or stained.

Gain HE is safe for those who have septic tanks like we do, which is another reason why I prefer liquid detergents over powders. Liquid detergents are suppose to break down better than powder detergents. Gain HE does not contain any phosphate.

Gain HE Laundry Detergent is especially formulated for front loading washing machines such as Frigidaire, Maytag, Kenmore, Miele, Bosch, GE, and Whirlpool.

Difference Between High Efficiency Detergent and Regular Detergent

Front loading washers do not have the agitator, therefore they are more gentler on your clothes, however there is no rubbing of the clothes without the agitator since your laundry lifts and falls with the tumbling system, therefore no rubbing of the laundry detergent. High efficiency washers use less water and less energy. Your dirty laundry however still has the same amount of dirt and stains to be cleaned. Instead, Gain HE surrounds the loose dirt in the water to ensure the dirt does not redeposit back onto the laundry.

Also, since front loading washers do use less water, there is less water in the tub to remain warm and high efficiency detergents are designed to remove stains and dirt at a cooler temperature.

If you have a front loading machine that has a window on the front, the general rule of thumb is that if you can see suds on the window, you are using too much detergent which will start showing in your clothes not lasting as long due to soap being left in them and starting to look dingy.

Results of Gain HE

I have found Tide HE works better for heavy soiled items than Gain HE, but for everyday laundry, Gain HE meets my needs just fine.

When doing the laundry, I only need to use about 1/3 of a capful for a full load and my clothes come out smelling fresh and clean. I love the smell of Gain.

Give Gain HE a try and I bet you will be pleasantly surprised!

For tough stains, please read my review on Tide HE laundry detergent.