Rubbermaid Space-Saver Drainer 8354

ratings (4 Epinions reviews)

Saving Space and Drying Dishes

Mar 4, 2004

Pros:Fits in small areas, sturdy construction, drains well, holds plenty of dishware, excellent price

Cons:No nonskid feet, can tip if dishware not evenly stacked

The Bottom Line: I've stacked the Bottom Line in this dish drainer to drip dry.

Even though I own an electric dishwasher, there are still dishes that require hand washing. Except when it comes to kitchen counter space, I don't have a lot of room to spare. At one point I placed the washed dishes on a towel, but I didn't like the idea of a wet towel laying against the counter. Since I'm not one to individually wash and dry dishes as I do them, I needed a dish drainer that fit in a compact area. When I discovered the Rubbermaid Space-Saver Drainer, I found the answer to my problem.

What the Drainer Looks Like

I purchased my Rubbermaid Space-Saver Drainer years ago when Rubbermaid offered this product in different colors. My drainer is a medium-blue color. Currently, Rubbermaid offers this drainer only in white.

The drainer is rectangular and made from one piece of heavy-duty hard plastic. Two flatware/utensil bins on the side of the drainer face the sink edge. The flatware bins are positioned over the sink so that the water drains right into the sink through four holes in each of the bin bottoms. Between the flatware bins is an empty area that also has four drainage holes. These twelve holes are the only drainage holes in the dish drainer.

On the inside of the drainer (at each end) are seven slots that hold plates upright. Thirteen shallower slots line the middle of the drainer and help support dishes, pots and pans. There are no holders for glassware. All the dishes fit either in the two flatware/utensil bins or inside the drainer. Eight plastic feet (1 1/2" high) hold the drainer off of the counter.

* The drainer measures 14" wide x 19" long x 4 3/4" tall
* The plate slots at either end are 3/4" high
* The flatware/utensil bins are 2" wide x 3 1/2" long x 4 1/4" deep

How Well the Drainer Works

This drainer has served me well for many years. The drainer is constructed with a slight tilt so that the water flows toward the drainage holes over the sink. The water always drains into the sink, and I've never had the holes plug closed. Since this drainer is constructed of solid plastic (instead of open wire), there is no need for a separate rubber mat to sit beneath the drainer to catch dripping water.

Despite the space-saving features, this drainer holds a lot of dishes. I place plates on either end of the drainer (fourteen plate slots) and set glasses or mugs in the center section. Cookie sheets, pots and pans can also fit in the center section or balance atop the other dishes. The flatware/utensil bins hold plenty of items.

Sometimes the drainer will tip if unevenly loaded. A minor complaint is that the feet have no rubber nonskid bottoms to hold the drainer in place on the counter. Bump into the drainer, and it will move. If items are stacked on top of the dishes, and the drainer shifts position, expect an avalanche of stacked cookware.

Likes

* Definitely space-saving
* No additional drainage mat needed
* Drains water into the sink
* Drains very well
* Holds a good amount of dishware
* Well constructed
* Easy to rinse and clean

Dislikes

* No nonskid feet
* Drainer easily moves if bumped
* If not stacked evenly, drainer might tip

If you prefer hanging glassware on slots on the side of a drainer, then this dish drainer is not for you.

Cleaning and Care

It's best to rinse the drainer regularly to avoid the icky build-up that can accumulate in dish drainers. Occasionally I wash the drainer in Dawn dishwashing liquid. After years of use, the plastic on this drainer has lost its looks-like-new luster ... but it is still a nice looking drainer. I keep the drainer on the counter beside the sink, but it can also easily store out of sight in a cabinet.

Summary

This drainer cost me about $5.00 when I purchased it years ago at my local department store, and it has been well worth the investment. I've seen the Rubbermaid Space-Saver Drainer for sale on Amazon.com and Kitchenetc.com for $7.49. I would purchase another one of these drainers in an instant if something happened to mine. However, this drainer is so well made, I doubt I'll need to purchase another one ... unless I purchase it as part of a housewarming gift (filled with kitchen goodies, of course!).

I hope you have found this review useful.

Enjoy your day,
Dawn

Additional Information

Rubbermaid Home Products Division
1147 Akron Road
Wooster, OH 44691

Tollfree Phone: 888-895-2110
8:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m. EST Monday - Friday

Please read my other reviews.

Kitchenetc.com Online Store