Make your own - keep the butt smooth as a babies butt.

Apr 17, 2001

The Bottom Line Making your own wipes is easy and saves money. I definitely recommend giving it a try you may like it.

Any one with a baby knows how expensive the baby wipes can get. It is possible to make your own which can be better than some of the wipes on the market. It also saves a bit of money.

First you need a roll of paper towels Bounty or Brawny are the best that I have used. I mostly use the Bounty Select-a-size. You also need your favorite liquid bath soap, I prefer Baby Magic Baby bath. Also white vinegar, baby oil and water are needed. You need a container to store the wipes in. I use a Shedd's Spread container (the large economy sized one). You need to cut a hole in the center of the top the size of a dime, I do not cut it completely I cut it into a little flap. You can use a Rubbermaid three quart container as well.

The most difficult part is cutting the roll of paper towels in half. One roll will make two things of wipes. Take the cardboard roll out of the center and discard it. Next you need to measure the liquids. You need 2 1/4 cups of water, 2 tablespoons of liquid bath soap, 1 tablespoon of baby oil and 1 tablespoon of white vinegar. You mix the liquids and pour over the paper towels and allow some time for it to saturate the roll. You place the saturated roll of paper towels into the container and thread a wipe from the center of the roll through the hole in the top of the container. You then place the top on the container and you are done.

When you use the wipes you simply pull a couple out and do the deed. The wipes feel thin but really give you a good barrier against the poop. The soap of course cleanses, the oil moisturizes and the vinegar acts as a preservative and I have heard helps protects against yeast infections. If your baby has dry skin you can add a little more baby oil. Same with the vinegar if your child gets yeast rashes. Be careful with the vinegar as I would imagine it could sting if the skin is raw.

The cost is very low. The roll of paper towels is $1.99 and I figure the cost of liquids to be about $.28 for the whole roll of paper towels. You get two batches of wipes for about $2.30 which is a bargain. The wipes last me about two weeks with the twins. But it depends upon how much they poop. I still buy regular wipes to carry in the diaper bag since they are less bulky and easier to use when on the go.

I have never had any problems with irritation and have been using them for about 10 months. I have an extra container for the wipes and make both batches at the same time. The top on the extra container does not have a hole, so it doesn't dry out. I add just a little more vinegar on this roll to preserve it while in storage. I just switch the tops on the containers when I start the second roll.

Location: Dania, FL
About Me: I am the mother of twins Amanda and Brandon.