England's Best Logic Problems

England's Best Logic Problems

ratings (1 Epinions review)

England's Best Logic Problems: Simply the Best

Mar 16, 2004

Pros:more puzzles for the buck, slowly increasing difficulty, unusual variety of puzzles

Cons:difficult to find in stores, recent issues haven't had multi-part puzzles

The Bottom Line: Whether you buy individual issues or subscribe do get England's Best Logic Problems. Your brain will thank you for it.

England's Best Logic Problems are also America's best logic problems. Available quarterly with 102 puzzles per $4 issue, England's Best Logic Problems also offers more bang for the buck than most of the other logic problem magazines that offer around 54 puzzles per $3-4 issue.

Each issue starts with a one page description of how logic problems work then begins with very simple puzzles to help you get started. The puzzles get progressively harder as you work through them until, near the end of the magazine, they are difficult enough to strain even an expert solver. I like this steady progression a lot better than those magazines that just group puzzles into easy, medium, and hard then make no attempt to sort by difficulty within each section.

The puzzles do infrequently use terminology unfamiliar to most Americans but you can generally figure everything out in context. If not, they provide a dictionary of terms at the front of each issue. Personally I have more trouble adjusting to the slightly different phrasing which, at times, can seem very wordy and even obfuscated. It's definitely different from the very terse language used in American-written logic problems.

These puzzles tend to require more ranking and ordering than others; even the easiest puzzles often have you sorting out dated events, prices, or differing numbers of things. It's fairly common to have two separate ordered variables in the same puzzle which doesn't usually happen in other logic problem magazines until you hit the hardest difficulty level.

This magazine also incorporates more puzzles that don't use the standard grid than other magazines and does so at all difficulty levels instead of just in the most difficult puzzles. This adds more variety to the magazine which I like.

The solutions appear at the back of each issue and are pretty straightforward. They are generally on the terse side but do explain all of the reasoning needed to get to a final solution.

Each issue used to feature one or two five part puzzles. Each part was a separate puzzle with its own clues and grid but part two relied on the solution to part one for some of its clues, part three relied on part two, and so on. Part five would draw on all four previous parts. Successfully solving one of these puzzles felt like a real accomplishment. They were always my favorites. Unfortunately the last couple of issues I've purchased did not have any multi-part puzzles. I hope they bring them back soon.

England's Best Logic Problems can be difficult to find on the stands. In the Boston area it's only carried in a handful of Barnes and Noble locations. Normally I recommend buying individual issues of puzzle magazines but in this case subscribing may be your only option. Whether you buy individual issues or subscribe do get this magazine. Your brain will thank you for it.