AVERY DENNISON LASER WHITE BUSINESS CARDS 1 BOX OF 250 CARDS 5371

AVERY DENNISON LASER WHITE BUSINESS CARDS 1 BOX OF 250 CARDS 5371

ratings (1 Epinions review)

Blank Business Cards -- Customize Your Calling Card

Apr 9, 2004 (Updated Apr 9, 2004)

Pros:customize these blank business cards, micro-perf edges for easy separation

Cons:paper not as thick as cards bought from a printing company

The Bottom Line: The Bottom Line enjoys having its own customized business card ... that way people know they are dealing with The Bottom Line.

Having blank business cards on hand is a must for any business. Avery Business Cards -- Item # 5371 certainly meet my requirements and present a professional impression to the business world.

Description

These business cards come in a cardboard box that is a 1/2" high. Inside the box are 250 standard size business cards. There are 10 cards per sheet and 25 sheets in the box. The cards are arranged on each 8 1/2" x 11" sheet in two columns with five cards in each column. Each white rectangular business card measures 2" x 31/2" and has a matte finish.

These business cards are clearly marked "For Laser Printers Only". Each sheet has an outside margin: the left and right margins are each 3/4" wide, and the top and bottom margins are each 1/2" wide. The cards are micro-perfed so that the margins around the business cards part cleanly, leaving a neat edge.

How to Use the Business Cards

The business cards are designed for use in software programs such as Microsoft Word, WordPerfect, Microsoft Publisher (as well as other software programs). I use Microsoft Word, WordPerfect and Microsoft Publisher and know the business cards work well in each of these programs. To give you a general idea of how to use the labels, I've included instructions below. These instructions may vary depending upon which version of software you are using.

Microsoft Word

Open a new blank document. Click on "Tools", then select "Letters and Mailings" and/or "Envelopes and Labels". Click "Options" to choose the correct template style. A list of choices is arranged in numeric order. Select Avery number 5371 in the menu, and then click "OK". You can select whether you wish to type an entire sheet of cards with the same text, or whether you want to type something different on each card. If you want the business cards to say the same thing, which is most likely the case, then click "New Document". A page opens with a blank business card template. Now you can type in and format the text (font, size, bold, italic, etc.). You can also insert an image or logo. Create a business card in the first rectangular template and copy the business card text/image into the remaining business cards on the template. When finished, print the labels.

WordPerfect

Open a new blank document. Select "Format" and then click on "Labels". A list of template choices is arranged in numeric order. Select Avery number 5371. A new window opens showing one rectangular card. Type the text and format it however you wish (font, size, bold, italic, etc.). You can also insert an image or logo. Hit the "Enter" key until the next card shows on the screen. If you want all the cards to say the same thing, copy the text created for the first card and paste it in the other card fields. Print when finished.

Insert Images on Business Cards

Many people include a logo or image on their business cards. It is easy to include graphics on these cards. Using Microsoft Word, select "Insert", then "Picture". Next choose whether to select the image from "Clip Art" or "From File". Using WordPerfect, select "Graphics" and then "Image" to select an image from your computer files.

Many programs include built-in templates for business cards. Microsoft Publisher is one program that not only offers templates, but allows the user to customize the cards. One great asset to a program such as Microsoft Publisher is that many of the templates offer pre-built color schemes and fonts. It's easy to start with a template and then customize it to your needs.

"Avery Print" on Avery's website offers 12 business card templates (11 horizontal cards and one vertical card). Four of the cards already have a graphic included in the template. The other templates offer space for a graphic, but you provide your own image or logo. (I've written more about the Avery website below.)

Printing the Business Cards

When finished creating the cards, it is time to print them. Simply place the card sheets in the printer tray. It doesn't matter which direction you place the sheets since they are symmetrical. As a rule, I place the sheets in the printer so that I can read the text written in red at the top and bottom of the sheet. Click Print ... and you are done.

Once the business cards are printed, it is easy to fold the sheet along the micro-perfed lines to separate the cards. Avery provides a helpful note at the bottom of each sheet: "Fold back and forth along perforation for easy separation". It's easy to do. I fold the sheet backward and forward along the perforated line several times. It doesn't take long for the cards to break away.

With the micro-perforation, each card has a sharp, neat edge. It's not as perfect an edge as a professionally printed business card, but it's very close.

Avery.com

What if you don't have a software program that includes built-in templates? Avery's website (www.avery.com) provides many free templates and programs to use them. Also available is a free clipart section.

You can download Avery Wizard, a free add-in program that launches with Microsoft Word. This program walks the user step-by-step through creating labels, dividers and cards using Avery products. You can also download a free limited version of Avery DesignerPro Software. This product offers templates for most Avery products.

Avery also offers a free service called Avery Print. This enables you to design your business cards directly online and them print the finished product from the web. This service walks you through the design of the cards, even allowing a choice of different fonts and formatting. In order to use this service, you need an internet connection, browser software such as Internet Explorer and Adobe Acrobat Reader. I tried Avery Print just to experiment, and it worked fine.

My Experiences

I've used these business cards at work and at home. I have never had a problem with Avery business cards. If I had to pick one thing to mention about the cards, it is the weight of the paper stock. These sheets are designed to feed through a laser printer, and the card stock is not as thick as a professionally printed business card.

At work we always keep blank business cards on hand. When a new person is hired, the graphic arts department inserts the company logo on the card and personalizes the card for the new employee. That way the new person has a business card until new cards can be ordered and received from a printing company.

At home I use these cards a variety of ways. The blank cards are perfect for my needs. I am a freelance writer and website designer. I don't require business cards on a regular basis. Much of my business is derived from positive word-of-mouth recommendations. However, when attending a writing conference or when giving a "how-to" workshop/presentation, a business card comes in handy. I have created business cards for both my writing and website design businesses. The cards look great and serve their purpose of providing contact information.

When my book, Harriet's Horrible Hair Day was published, I created a special "announcement" of the book using these Avery business cards. The announcement included the title of the book, my name, the book's ISBN number and my website URL.

An acquaintance has been helping an associate of hers start his own business. They have been using blank business cards to experiment with creating a business identity. Another associate is the owner of a business, uses a photo of himself on business cards and likes to change the photo on a monthly basis. Printing his own cards allows him this luxury without spending a lot of money.

Another plus to printing your own business cards is having a card available while attending tradeshows or other similar events. There are often prize give-aways, but to enter, a business card is often required. I've won some fabulous prizes at tradeshows. It's also handy having a business card to drop in those boxes or fishbowls at restaurants for their free meal drawings. As you can see, these business cards serve a variety of uses.

Even though these cards are specifically targeted for laser printer use, I once found myself in a bind and had to use them in an inkjet printer. (I needed a color logo printed and did not have business cards for inkjet printers on hand.) The cards printed fine and looked great.

Purchasing

These business cards are available at Staples for $12.25 for a box of 250 cards. OfficeMax sells them for $12.59. Office Depot sells these business cards for $11.98, and if you buy five or more boxes, the prices drops to $11.72 a box. Avery also makes these blank business cards in an ivory and gray color.

Summary

I enjoy the convenience of having Avery Business Cards on hand. It allows me the flexibility of freshly printing the number of business cards I need without having to commit to a large run of cards by a printing company. It also offers me the ability to customize the cards to particular situations. These cards offer a blank canvas for creativity ... and they are affordable, which is a big consideration for any business.

I hope you have found this review useful.

Enjoy your day,
Dawn

Additional Information

Avery Dennison -- Brea, California 92821
Toll Free Phone # 1-800-462-8379
www.avery.com

Product Guarantee
"Avery Dennison is committed to providing you with quality products and will gladly replace any product which does not provide complete satisfaction."

If you are looking for additional clipart, I'm pleased to share with you the clipart I create and post for free on my website. I specialize in creating Quilt Block clipart designs. You can view my designs at http://dlstewart.com/clipart.htm

Please read my other reviews

Avery File Folder Labels for both inkjet and laser printers