Minwax Polyshades One Step Stain & Polyurethane Pecan Satin 1 Pint

Minwax Polyshades One Step Stain & Polyurethane Pecan Satin 1 Pint

ratings (17 Epinions reviews)

Brush it on!

Apr 15, 2004 (Updated Apr 15, 2004)

Pros:Easy to use, convenient one step, nice, satin finish.

Cons:Strong vapours!

The Bottom Line: I definitely recommend this as it is a time saver and easy to use.

Okay, I'm not really an expert do-it-yourself home repair kind of gal, so when I wanted to spruce up my shelves, I definitely wanted something easy to use.

Good thing I found Minwax Polyshades One Step Stain & Polyurethane Pecan Satin 1 Pint! Since it is a stain and polyurethane in one, I could colour & protect in one step instead of two. Furthermore, it can be used directly on previously finished wood surfaces to change the stain colour without having to strip the old finish (although I did not use it for this purpose, so I cannot comment on the effectiveness).

The directions on the back of the can were very easy to understand, and the process can basically broken down into three steps:

1. Prepare the Surface
Basically, you have to sand it until the surface is nice and smooth. It should also be free of dust, dirt, wax, and grease. You cannot use this over paint, lacquer, or shellac.

2. Stir well and Test Colour
I guess the polyurethane and stain can separate, so this product has to be stirred well prior to use and during use. After stirring, test the colour on an inconspicuous area to ensure that the colour is what you are looking for. In this case, Pecan is a somewhat "medium" colour, not dark like cherry or mahogany, but not light like pine or birch.

3. Apply
Minwax suggests using a high quality foam or bristle brush. Dip the brush and apply on the clean surface. You are supposed to apply a thin coat in the direction of the grain. The brush edge also has to be kept "wet". I really was not sure how "wet" the brush should be do I dunked it into the tub fairly often, but made sure excess liquid ran off the brush. Apparently, if your coats are too thick, the result will be very uneven.

After the first coat, it has to then dry for at least 8 hours (I just left it overnight). Before applying the second coat, you need to use a fine steel wool to smooth the surface. After the second coat, you're basically done, unless you want a third coat (for a dark colour). In that case, you can simply wait for it to dry and repeat again.

My Experience
This was very easy to use, and I did not have too much trouble with it. The can is like any paint can, and the lid is easily pried open. However, the odour is very strong, and your work area should be extremely well ventilated.

Warnings
This stuff is combustible, has harmful vapours, and definitely should be kept out of the reach of children.

Recommendation
This product was extremely easy to use, and I really liked that it was stain & protection in one. The end result was a lovely, somewhat matte finish. The finished surface is supposedly not as durable as doing this in two steps (or using pure polyurethane), but I do not really notice any chipping. It is fairly easy to find in most hardware stores and comes in various shades. I believe one pint can be used on about 60 square feet.