Morton Salt 40 lb. Salt Pellets 1500

Morton Salt 40 lb. Salt Pellets 1500

ratings (3 Epinions reviews)

Morton Water Softener Salt Pellets - I Will Never Buy Another Brand

May 20, 2004

Pros:High quality product, inexpensive, no gunky brine

Cons:None

The Bottom Line: I highly recommend this product for its quality and purity.

Having a hard water problem is damaging to your plumbing, your hot water tank, your dishes, appliances, clothes and your skin. The most immediate way to tell if you are experiencing a hard water problem is by noticing white spots on your kitchen faucet or bathroom faucets or dishware. Are your hands rough or constantly scaly? Any signs such as these means you should get your water checked for a hard water problem.

What Makes Water Hard?

Calcium and magnesium are the hardness minerals. Rainwater begins as soft water, free of these minerals, however as rainwater passes over and through the earth, flowing into lakes, rivers, streams and ground water, it absorbs calcium and magnesium. These minerals are not harmful to your health but they do make the water hard.

Solution – a Water Softener

A water softener removes the hardness minerals, calcium and magnesium, from your water. When water with these hardness minerals passes through the water softener, the calcium and magnesium ions are attracted to resin beads inside the softener. In turn, the resin beads release sodium ions. Water without the hardness minerals is "soft." Salt is used to recharge the resin beads once they are saturated with magnesium and calcium.

The water softener that we use is the Amtrol Water Soft 2-Tank Water Softener Model AS-24TP.

MortonŽ System SaverŽ Pellets

MortonŽ System SaverŽ Pellets are approximately 1/2 inch square and come in a yellow 40-lb. bag with a carrying handle. The pellets are designed to be used in a water softener and are not designed for use in a washing machine or dishwasher.

According to the bag, the pellets are a "very high purity salt with virtually no insoluble particles that have been produced with the patented System SaverŽ formula. The pellets are specially formulated to clean out those traces of dirt and minerals and to help keep your softener clean longer than all other salt pellets and contains virtually no insolubles that need to be cleaned from your brine tank. This formula improves the regeneration efficiency of your softener resin and prevents the build-up of hardness minerals in the valves and screens of your softener, keeping your softener clean and running longer."

Morton also states "System SaverŽ Pellets are formulated with salt that is guaranteed 99.5% pure".

The value of having a "high purity" salt product is that hard water contains traces of dirt, iron and other minerals that can build up in the resin and valves of your water softener, which could lead to expensive repairs.

High pressures are used to formulate MortonŽ System SaverŽ Pellets. No glues or binders are used.

Garden Ponds

I have learned this tidbit of information for another use of MortonŽ System SaverŽ Pellets due to its non-toxic binder properties and high purities; however, Morton does not endorse it, just experienced owners of garden ponds.

Garden pond fish such as Goldfish or Koi, maintain a 0.1% salt level in their bodies. In order to do this, they continually expend energy to draw salt from their environment. If the salt level is maintained in the water in which they live, they will be healthier fish, with more energy to spend in fighting off parasites, disease, and stress. To achieve a 0.1% salt level, you need to gradually add 1 pound of salt per 100 gallons of water. A 0.1% salt concentration is considered a maintenance level. By slowly increasing the salt level in your water, you will not affect any of the beneficial bacteria in your filter systems and will not stress your fish. A good place to add the pellets is under the waterfall, where it is quickly distributed throughout the pond by the flowing water. Salt does not evaporate from the garden pond as water does.

Experienced garden pond owners use the pellets and not the granulated salt or crystal salt.

Our 4 Years Experience of Using This Product

To be quite frank, I had not considered how valuable the use of the MortonŽ System SaverŽ Pellets were until I started talking with other people and listening to their complaints of cleaning the brine tank. People were describing that they had rings in their tank of gunky substances and on the bottom they would find off colored slime. I inquired what brand of softener they were using and none were using the MortonŽ System SaverŽ Pellets.

It was only at this point that I knew I had been using a high quality product for when I clean out my tank once a year all I ever see is a white ring of where the salt level of water had sat. The brine tank never had any slime or gunky substances.

To further my testimony on the quality of this product, I did not clean out my softener system for the year of 2003, meaning until last month it had gone for 2 years without being cleaned. When cleaning it last month, there was still no signs of gunky substances anywhere or clogging of the softener filter.

Of course the benefits in having a water softener means your skin is smooth, your appliances no longer have those white water spots and you use a lot less dishwashing detergent, laundry detergent, bath soaps and shampoo.

It really depends on how many bags your family will go through due to size of your family and where you set your level of the "regeneration" cycle. Ours is set on the lowest and we use approximately 1-1/2 bags per month.

Prices vary from store to store but expect to pay from $3.50 - $5.00 for a 40-pound bag.

Morton does offer one with crystals (which we use for de-icing the driveway during the winter), one for rust problems, and one for those who prefer potassium. We have tried 3 out of the 4 and I will offer my reviews on those in the short future.

We are extremely happy with this product and if you have not considered this one, I would strongly suggest you give it a try.