Morton Salt 40 lb. Salt Free Pellets 1498

Morton Salt 40 lb. Salt Free Pellets 1498

ratings (4 Epinions reviews)

Morton Salt Free Potassium Chloride Pellets for Water Softeners

Jun 8, 2004

Pros:High quality, salt free, no gunk in brine tank

Cons:Potassium chloride pellets are priced higher than salt pellets

The Bottom Line: I highly recommend the Morton Salt Free Potassium Chloride Pellets, especially for those on sodium restricted diets.

Some people who are on sodium restricted diets think that by having a water softener that one has to use salt tablets to make the water soft. The purpose of this review is to inform consumers of a high quality product to be used as a substitute and this is the Morton Potassium Chloride Pellets.

Having a hard water problem is damaging to your plumbing, your hot water tank, your dishes, appliances, clothes and your skin. The most immediate way to tell if you are experiencing a hard water problem is by noticing white spots on your kitchen faucet or bathroom faucets or dishware. Are your hands rough or constantly scaly? Any signs such as these are a definite hard water problem.

What Makes Water Hard?

Calcium and magnesium are the hardness minerals. Rainwater begins as soft water, free of these minerals, however as rainwater passes over and through the earth, flowing into lakes, rivers, streams and ground water, it absorbs calcium and magnesium. These minerals are not harmful to your health but they do make the water hard.

Solution – a Water Softener

A water softener removes the hardness minerals, calcium and magnesium, from your water. When water with these hardness minerals passes through the water softener, the calcium and magnesium ions are attracted to resin beads inside the softener. In turn, the resin beads release sodium ions. Water without the hardness minerals is "soft." The water softener that we use is the Amtrol Water Soft 2-Tank Water Softener Model AS-24TP.

Morton Potassium Chloride Pellets – The Salt Free Pellets

Morton Potassium Chloride Pellets are approximately inch square and come in a white 40-lb. bag with a carrying handle. Potassium Chloride Pellets are designed to be used as a substitute for salt (sodium chloride) for people on sodium-restricted diets. Substitution of potassium chloride for sodium chloride reduces the sodium contribution to soft water by 99% while adding significant levels of potassium.

The pellets contain a minimum of 99.7% potassium chloride and are virtually 100% water soluble, and can be used where sodium chloride restrictions apply.

The pellets are designed to be used in a water softener and are not designed for use in a washing machine or dishwasher.

Our Experience of Using This Product

When we first used our water softener, we used the Morton Potassium Chloride Pellets since this is what the plumber put into our system. We used these for about 7 months before we changed over to the Morton System Saver Pellets. We only changed due to price savings of the Morton System Saver Pellets. The Potassium Chloride Pellets costs were ranging $2.00 - $4.00 a bag higher depending where you could get them at. For the extra price per bag, our family did not need a salt free product.

There was no noticeable difference of taste of either product or its capacity of softening the water. The brine tank stayed cleaned with no gunky substances on the sides or bottom.

Of course in having a water softener, your skin is smooth, your appliances no longer have those white water spots and you use a lot less dishwashing detergent, laundry detergent, bath soaps and shampoo. It really depends on how bags your family will go through due to size of your family and where you set your level of the “regeneration” cycle. Ours is set on the lowest and we use approximately 1- bags per month.

Prices vary from store to store but expect to pay from $5.99 - $7.99 for a 40-pound bag.

This product is a very high quality product and is the way to go for those who are on sodium restricted diets.