KitchenAid KHB100 Handheld Blender~A Quality Appliance At An Affordable Price

Jun 13, 2004

Pros:Works very well when used properly

Cons:Doesn't crush ice the way I think it should.

The Bottom Line: A quality appliance that will last a long time. Works well and very dependable.

Around this house we are blender crazy I think. We seem to go through the handheld type faster that most people go through peanuts.

We use them for everything. Chopping ice for drinks, ham for ham salad, chicken for chicken salad, mashed potatoes, you name it. If a blender or mixer is needed we use our handheld.

I have gone through so many that it is hard to keep count.

November of 2003, our last handheld gave out and it was Thanksgiving. I didn't know how I was going to get through preparing dinner without it.

While shopping at Lowes the weekend before Thanksgiving, I noticed that they had a display of KitchenAid products so thought I would check them out. There in the middle of the display I saw the KitchenAid KHB100 Handheld Blender. I knew I had to have it.

We checked out with the perfect bolts for a project my husband was doing and I got the perfect handheld blender.

When we arrived home I wanted to try it out immediately. I wasn't cooking that day as we had gone out to dinner so it was going to have to wait until the next day.

I did take it out of the box to get a close look at it and to read the directions before I started playing with it.

The directions were very easy to follow, there was no mistaking anything in them.

What It Looks Like

The KitchenAid KHB100 Handheld Blender is black and comes with variable speeds. Not just high and low like most.

There is a knob at the top that you can use to adjust the speed with just a twist. It goes from one to nine. That is a great feature because sometimes with other immersible blenders, low is too low and high is too high with nothing in the middle. You do have more control with this one.

The blender measures approximately Height 17.0" Width 3.0"
Depth 6.0" and weighs in at about two pounds. The immersible part of the blender is 8" which can get you to the bottom of most pans and pitchers.

The top of the blender where you hand fits is indented. This is very comfortable and your hand fits well. It isn't too large nor is it too small nor does you had slip while using.

The power cord is amazing. It is 5 feet long. Something I haven't seen in an appliance in years. You are able to plug it in and reach the pot or pitcher easily, not have to bring them to the KitchenAid KHB100 Handheld Blender.

Near the bottom of the blender, there are two buttons on either side, these are used for ejecting the attachments so that you can clean them when you have finished your task at hand.

At the top you will find an elongated rubber button. This is to turn the blender on. You just gently press it and hold while working. When finished, let go and the blender stops.

The KitchenAid KHB100 Handheld Blender come with a three cup blending cup with a lid. I don't use this much except for chopping onions or other vegetables that might have to be stored for a while.

Clean Up

Clean Up for the KitchenAid KHB100 Handheld Blender is a breeze. You just wipe the housing with a damp cloth and place the attachment in the dishwasher. Couldn't be easier.

Use

It does take some getting used to when using. I was not used to variable speeds, just two.

I made the mistake of starting out on the highest speed (9) when mashing potatoes. That was a huge mistake. I had potatoes flying everywhere. You probably saw some fly past your house. Took me days to get that mess cleaned up.

Since that fiasco, I have learned to start out on a lower speed and gently tap the food with the blender. Not just stick it into the food and let her rip.

With KitchenAid KHB100 Handheld Blender you have so much control that your chicken doesn't come out as paste but, in the chunks that you want for chicken salad.

The sauces that you make, such as cheese, comes out smooth and creamy, not lumpy. You don't have to guess if it is cheese or something that shouldn't be there.

The one thing I don't like is, it doesn't make ice slushy enough but that is OK. I haven't found any appliance that does it the way I want it.

The KitchenAid KHB100 Handheld Blender is very portable. You can pack it in your suitcase for visits to your mother or mother-in-law who still own one of those old fashioned potato mashers that is powered by you.

Don't be surprised if they accuse you of using instant potatoes since real potatoes come out so creamy and smooth.

The KitchenAid KHB100 Handheld Blender come in Onyx Black, Cobalt Blue, Empire Red and White. There is a color that will fit every decor.

This also comes with a one year hassle free warranty. I have had mine for seven months now and not a single problem. I don't see me having to use the warranty.

Here is what KitchenAid says about their warranty. Directly from the packaging.

Hassle-Free Replacement Warranty
If your countertop appliance fails for any reason during the first year, KitchenAid will replace it FREE OF CHARGE*. Our Hassle-Free Replacement Warranty includes:
ˇ Delivering a replacement to your door
ˇ Arranging the return of your failed appliance
ˇ Guaranteeing the replacement product for one year

For information or complete warranty details on Countertop Appliances, call the KitchenAid Customer Satisfaction Center at 1-800-541-6390.

I do highly recommend the KitchenAid KHB100 Handheld Blender to anyone that is looking for a good quality appliance.