A few words on the G5

Jul 20, 2004

Pros:Outstanding overall performance

Cons:Just the few things I noted.

The Bottom Line: I highly recommend it. Thanks to the overall performance and few shortcomings. I do think too one should also look at comparable Nikon and Olympus

I have owned this for approx. 9 months. So far I am VERY pleased. Do I think it's perfect? No. But what unit is? While it tends to be a little large it's still easier to handle than my previous unit (Olympus D600L) but a little heavier.
Photo performance is usually amazing. There are times when it's not quite what I'd hoped for but this seems primarily during flash. I believe if I used an external flash it would be better. Basically the "issue" seems to be centered around the flash shape and placement. It's too close to the lens which causes significant hot spots on people who wear glasses and some red eye on very light eyed subjects who do not look directly to the camera.
Otherwise I've used it to take night scenes of Chicago, and many other mundane and challenging tasks and am continually very pleased.
There are alot of features and I find myself continually "learning the camera" and getting better with it.
Things I like:
Versatility, picture quality, "feel", ease of use (can set it to "auto" and let it do the work), flip out view finder (lcd), control layout.
Things I dislike:
Flare (hotspots) on glasses with flash, lens cap, optical view finder (too small).
Basically I don't think I'll ever use a film camera again. I'm spoiled. When combined with the output from my Canon BJC 8200 photo printer the results are jaw dropping and with the control I have afterward with Jasc PSP 8 I get results that blow my 35 mm SLR's away.