Bounce Free Dryer Sheets

ratings (5 Epinions reviews)

Bounce "Free" Dryer Sheets: For more than just the laundry

Aug 1, 2004

Pros:Effective against static cling in the laundry and around the house

Cons:None

The Bottom Line: My Bottom Line is dust- and static-free now...

Back when women were expected to wear slips or half-slips under their skirts, static cling was a big hassle. I don’t remember what I did about it in the days before the anti-static sprays were available, but even they were only a minimally effective measure.

And then, some genius developed Bounce Dryer Sheets and my life changed.

Well, not really, but I no longer had to deal with skirts that clung to my legs like a fearful toddler.

The first box of Bounce Dryer Sheets I bought was heavily fragranced, and as I’ve pointed out in several other reviews of personal and household products, I always prefer unscented products. So I was delighted to see Bounce “Free” Dryer Sheets in my local market. Many thanks to Pogomom for adding them to the epinions database.

FEATURES

Bounce “Free” Dryer Sheets are entirely free of dyes and perfumes, so your laundry emerges fragrance-free.

• Their primary virtue is that they eliminate static cling and leave your laundry feeling soft, without imparting a fragrance of their own.

• They measure 6½” x 9".

• You get 80 in a box for $4.69.

• In addition to Free, they come in several fragrances: Outdoor Fresh, Spring Awakening, and Gentle Breeze.

To use them, toss one into the dryer with your freshly washed damp laundry and run the dryer as usual. For an extra-large load, use two sheets.

• Important: Bounce “Free” Dryer Sheets are not to be used on children’s sleepwear or any items labeled as flame resistant, because they might reduce the fire retardant qualities of the garment. I also read somewhere that it’s counter-productive to use them on towels because they work by coating the fiber, which would make the towels less absorbent.

• See below for other uses. Please note that some of those uses depend on the fragrance of the product, so Bounce “Free” Dryer Sheets might not be as effective as the scented ones.

WHAT I LIKE ABOUT THEM

They do what they are supposed to do. I use a sheet in each dryer load, except for my towels, and have not had to peel the socks off the undies in years. No more static cling - yahooooo!

They’re easy to use. I just remove one from the box and toss it into the dryer. Voila.

Because they are fragrance-free, my duds emerge from the dryer smelling clean - and nothing more. No artificial “Ocean Breezes” - why would anyone want their clothes to smell like fish, anyway? - or phoney floral scents. Just clean.

WHAT I DON’T LIKE ABOUT THEM

• It can be hard to find. Most people prefer scented products, so I can’t always find my unscented version. When I do, I buy several boxes at once.

ADDITIONAL INFORMATION

Procter & Gamble, the manufacturer of the Bounce line of products, has an entire website devoted to the non-laundry uses of this product. You can find it at www.bouncesheets.com, which will open a special window to www.thebouncehouse.com. This is the text of an e-mail I received a few months ago. I haven’t tried all of these, and the one I tried, the insect repellent, didn’t work with my Bounce “Free” Dryer Sheets, which leads me to believe that it’s the fragrance that works. But FYI, here it is:

The US Postal service sent out a message to all letter carriers to put a sheet of Bounce in their uniform pockets to keep yellow jackets away. Use them all the time when playing baseball and soccer.

It will chase ants away when you lay a sheet near them.

It also repels mice. Spread them around foundation areas, or in trailers, or cars that are sitting, and it keeps mice from entering your vehicle.

It takes the odor out of books and photo albums that don't get opened too often.
Repel mosquitoes: Tie a sheet of Bounce through a belt loop when outdoors during mosquito season.
This is the one that didn’t work for Penguinman, who used my unscented sheets.

Eliminates static electricity from your television or computer screen. Even a used sheet has enough juice in it to work. Just run it gently over the screen.

Dissolve soap scum from shower doors: Clean with a sheet of Bounce

Freshen the air in your home. Place an individual sheet of Bounce in a drawer, under sofa and chair cushions, under rugs, behind curtains, in hampers, waste-baskets, garbage pails, and diaper pails, or hang in the closet.

Put Bounce sheet in the vacuum cleaner bag.

Prevent thread from tangling: Run a threaded needle through sheet of Bounce before beginning to sew.

Prevent musty suitcases: Store them with a sheet of Bounce inside.

Freshen the air in your car: Place a sheet of Bounce under the front seat.

Clean baked-on foods from a cooking pan: Put a sheet in a pan, fill with water, let sit overnight, and sponge clean. The anti-static agent apparently weakens the bond between the food.

Collect cat hair. Rubbing the area with a sheet of Bounce will magnetically attract all the loose hairs.

Eliminate static electricity from Venetian blinds: Wipe the blinds with a sheet of Bounce to prevent dust from resettling.

Wipe up sawdust from drilling or sand-papering. A used sheet of Bounce will collect sawdust like a tack cloth.

Deodorize shoes or sneakers: Place a sheet of Bounce in your shoes or sneakers overnight.

Golfers put a Bounce sheet in their back pocket to keep the bees away.
This one probably works best with the fragranced versions of Bounce.

Put a Bounce sheet in your sleeping bag and tent before folding and storing them, to keep them fresh.

OK, you get the idea; the unfragranced Bounce “Free” Dryer Sheets will work well at those chores that involve preventing static electricity, and may work at some of the others. But in general, the air-freshening qualities of scented products depends on the fragrance to cover up offensive odors, rather than on chemical interactions that neutralize them. So unfragranced products probably won’t work as well there.

SUMMARY AND VERDICT

I’ve been using Bounce “Free” Dryer Sheets for years for it’s originally stated purpose, as an anti-static-cling agent in my dryer. As such, it works beautifully, and I love the fact that it’s fragrance-free. It also works well at cleaning my monitor,ceiling-fam blades, and blinds, and keeping them dust-free longer than a damp cloth will. For the rest of the uses, I can’t vouch for them, because I suspect that they depend on fragrance. But I don’t need them for that, so I’ll continue to use my unscented version. Five stars.