Drano Max Gel Clog Remover

ratings (28 Epinions reviews)

I’ve got a hairy problem! – Drano Max Gel

Aug 14, 2004 (Updated Aug 19, 2004)

Pros:It works, it really works! With no phosphorus!

Cons:The bottle. See review.

The Bottom Line: This splashless gel is easy to use, and it works great. I highly recommend it, and will use it again in the future.

I’ve never had a clogged or slow drain before, but than again, I’ve never lived in a 60 something year old beach house with original pipes and plumbing before, either. Now I have a hairy problem. I mean, I have a lot of hair! It comes off my head in major strands when I shower, and I’m so hairy, that I need to shave my legs and under my arms every day, and get a lip and “goatee” wax about every three weeks. No wonder I have a drain problem in this old house, it has seen lots of sand, but it has never seen hair like mine before! Enter Drano Max Gel. Can even this product cut through my hairy problem? Let’s see…

~~ WHY CHOOSE DRANO MAX GEL? ~~

I had a “slow” drain in the shower, so I needed something to help. I usually use Liquid Plumber Foaming Pipe Snake in my bathroom sink, and I thought that it would also do just fine for my shower drain. After two bottles, I realized that it couldn’t cut-it, the drain was just as slow as ever. I needed something more heavy duty for my shower problems.

At the grocery store, I had two clog removers in my hand: Drano Max Gel and Professional Strength Liquid Plumber. I chose Drano Max Gel, simply because of one line that the bottle had on it. It stated that the “Thick Gel Formula clings to clogs longer to attack and remove them better.” I then shook each bottle, and the Liquid Plumber shook like water, so it went back on the shelf, and I went home with Drano Max Gel.

~~ DID IT WORK? ~~

This gel is virtually splashless, and is very easy to pour down the drain. It did not get all over the shower floor, it just glopped out of the bottle and straight down the drain (an extra bonus I like is that this has no phosphorus). There is no overwhelming smell, but since this has major chemicals in it, it's a good idea to have the bathroom fan on, or if you have a window in your bathroom, open it.

The directions on the bottle say to “pour 1/4 bottle of Drano Max Gel slowly into drain. For extremely slow-running drains or complete clogs, pour 1/2 bottle.” I poured half of the bottle….I think.

This is a large 64 oz bottle, and they have a line on the back of the label showing the half bottle mark, so you think this would be easy. Not so. The bottle is bright red, and I cannot see through it to see how much liquid is left! So, after pouring out some, I held the bottle so that I could see into it, and I put my finger on the outside of the bottle to gauge where my finger-shadow fell into the bottle compared with how much liquid was left. Not quite half, need to pour a little more. Check again, just a little more…OK, half.

Then the directions say to “Allow to work for 15 minutes (30 minutes for tough clogs). Flush with hot water. Repeat steps if necessary.” I let it sit for about 40 minutes, and then ran the water. All I can say is WOW! It actually worked! My drain is so clear, it’s amazing how fast the water goes down it.

~~ PRICE AND AVAILABILITY ~~

Like I mentioned before, this is the large 64 ounce bottle. I bought it at my local grocery store for $8.49. I know I have seen this at K-mart and Target, but I do not know the prices at these stores.

~~ FROM THE LABEL ~~

• Thick Gel Formula clings to clogs longer to attack and remove them better.
• Better than Professional Strength Liquid Plumr on tough clogs.
• Starts working immediately to clear difficult clogs.
• Powerful Formula pours through standing water.
• Removes hair, soap scum, and gunk.
• Safe on all pipes, septic systems, and garbage disposals.
• Keep out of reach of children.
• Questions/Comments? Call 800-558-5252