Febreze Allergen Reducer

ratings (11 Epinions reviews)
Epinions Product Rating: Excellent
5 stars
6
4 stars
4
3 stars
1
2 stars
1 star
Share This!
  Ask friends for feedback

FEBREZE ALLERGEN REDUCER~~Reduce Allergens? Yes!

Sep 12, 2004 (Updated Sep 24, 2005)
Review by  
Rated a Very Helpful Review

Pros:reduces allergens, leaves room smelling cleaner

Cons:the scent could be nicer

The Bottom Line: For those with airborne allergies, this is a really good product to use.


My entire family is plagued by allergies; dust, molds, animal dander...anything airborne, we are allergic to it. On top of that, we do have a cat. He's a part of the family and I can't seem to part with him so we do what we can to eliminate some of those allergens he throws at us.

I was really excited when I found the Febreze Allergen Reducer. I am not absolutely positive that it does what it claims to, but I feel that it is better than doing nothing at all.

About the product
It is available in 800 mL and 500 mL sizes. I purchased the smaller one to try it out.
It reduces up to 75% of allergens from cats, dogs, and dust mites that can become airborne from fabrics.
It is dermatologist tested.
It is lightly scented.
It safely removes odors from fabrics.

Directions
Spray evenly in a sweeping motion over fabrics until damp. For best results, use frequently and as part of a regular cleaning routine.
*special note: on fabrics such as silk, that may leave waterspots, test a small area that can't be seen. It is not recommended for leather.

Ingredients
water, alcohol, odor eliminator derived from corn, organic polymer, fragrance. (contains no phosphate)

It comes in an easy-to-handle plastic bottle with a sprayer. The bottle is see-through, so you can easily tell how much you have left. The bottle is easy to use and spray.

Does it work? To be honest, I really don't know. Since you can't actually see allergens, there is no way to really tell. I use it on a daily basis. Our allergies aren't near as bad as they once were. So, I believe that it helps.

I use it on all of my furniture and every place that my cat sleeps, literally all over the house.

Before I use the Febreze, I vacuum to remove all the dirt, debris, and cat hair. Then I spray the areas.

It makes me feel good as a mom, to know that I am doing what I can to reduce our allergies as well as I can.

Common Household Allergens
Dust Mite Allergens
The sightless, eight-legged, microscopic living creature called the dust mite shares your house. Dust mite droppings and remains are common allergens. Hundreds can be found in just a pinch of house dust. The dust mite loves warm, humid settings, and it feeds on skin scales and dander shed by humans and animals. The dust mite thrives in bedding, carpeting, stuffed toys, furniture cushions, and closets. Even the most spotless homes house millions of dust mites.
Pet Allergens
Pets can be a source of allergens, no matter what size or breed, how long their hair, or whether or not they shed. Also, saliva and the animal's dander—the skin scales that they shed—can be allergens. Invisible and extremely "sticky," dander attaches to everything from floors to ceilings, and clothing to furniture cushions. Dander can stay around for months and even years after a pet has gone.
The most common pet allergen comes from cats, whose dander, hair, and saliva are all allergens. Because cats are constantly cleaning themselves, their fur is covered by dried saliva that flakes off into the air and can accumulate on fabrics. Dog dander and saliva are also considered to be allergens.
(this was copied from the website, but I felt it was important to point out)

Using the Febreze will not eliminate all allergens of course and it does not replace normal cleaning. In households where allergies prevail, frequent cleaning is essential. The Febreze Allergen Reducer is just a tool to help you out.

My only complaint about this product is the scent. It says that it has a light scent. This is true for the most part. But I have noticed that as I am using it, if I use too much in one area without moving away, it will make me sneeze. I know this is due to the scent. It just doesn't smell as nice as the original Febreze or any of the other scents that they have created. With that said, it does not smell bad and is not offensive, it would just be a better product if it contained the nice scents as the others.

I purchased this product at Walmart for $4.99. I go through a bottle about every 2 weeks. If I skip a day or two, of course, it lasts a bit longer. I try not to skip any days, otherwise, the allergens will multiply.

Overall, I am happy with the Febreze Allergen Reducer. Despite the scent, it does make my house smell fresher than what it would without it.

I also use it around the litter box. I've been threatening to spray it on my cat, but I have refrained from doing so. *smile*

Caution
Use only for intended use and avoid the eye area. Keep away from children. For those sensitive to cleaning products, use in a ventilated area. I think that means me. I turn my ceiling fan on and this helps.

It is also worth noting that it has the ASPCA approval. It is veterinarian approved to be safe to use around cats and dogs.

Thanks for reading.


Recommend this product? Yes


Share this product review with your friends   
Share This!