Neutra-Air Continuous Action Adjustable Electric Odor Neutralizer

ratings (4 Epinions reviews)

~Not One Of Lysol's Better Products~

Oct 18, 2004

Pros:Nice concept if it worked

Cons:It doesn't work

The Bottom Line: It's in the review

I have many compulsions, but I think the worst is how fanatical I am about my home. It must be spotless at all times or I'm half out of my mind stressing about it. As well as being clean I also like my home to smell good. With 2 dogs, 1 cat and several birds, however, this in itself can be quite a difficult task. It's not that my home smells bad because the animals are doing their business in the floor, but the overall odor of so many animals does add up and takes its toll on my nose. This in turn sends me off and running to buy sprays, refills for my plug-ins, scented candles and whatever else I can find that will alleviate the animal aroma from the air. A couple of weeks ago I came across a new product by Lysol that promises to neutralize odors in the air just by plugging it into the wall. Sounded like a good thing to me so I purchased about 2 of them and headed home to put Lysol to the test.

~What Is It?~

Lysol Neutra-Air Air Treatment is an adjustable electric odor neutralizer. Lysol claims that Neutra-Air is a breakthrough in odor neutralization for the home and that it contains a patented odor-neutralization technology that provides a dual-action benefit. Lysol also claims that this product will work continuously for 60 days and that Neutra-Air doesn't just mask the odors, but actually removes them from the air.

~Dual-Action Benefit~

~Removes odors in the air from food, smoke, pets and odor causing bacteria.
~Refreshes the air with a crisp fragrance that leaves the air smelling clean.

~What's It Look Like? How Do You Use It?~

The warmer itself is a bit bulky being about 4 1/2 in. from top to bottom and about 2 1/2 in. wide. When plugged into the wall the unit sticks out from the wall just slightly over 2 1/2 in. The warmer is white in color and the neutralizer is dispensed in a clear glass bottle. The front of the warmer has a fragrance level adjustment, the weakest being 1 and the strongest being 5. To adjust the amount of fragrance that is released into the air you simply slide the little lever to the setting that best fits your needs. The plug itself is rotating to allow the warmer to remain in an upright position in both vertical and horizontal outlets. This unit does leave second outlet free.

~Putting It All Together~

The warmer and the bottle of neutralizer are two separate units and do require a wee bit of assembly. You simply unscrew the cap from the 0.71 Fl. Oz. bottle of neutralizer and insert the bottle into the warmer while pressing down the release button on the back of the warmer. After the bottle is in place release the button and plug the unit into the outlet in an upright position. Adjust your fragrance level and that's all there is to it.

~Packaging, Price & Availability~

Neutra-Air is packaged in a white and blue box. There is an actual picture of the unit on the front label as well as some blue sky and fluffy white clouds. Neutra-Air is written in bold, blue type and Lysol is also written across the front label. The initial purchase of the warmer also includes a 0.71 Fl. Oz. bottle of neutralizer. Refills can be purchased separately for about 2.99 a bottle. I believe the unit is priced at right around 5.99. To the best of my knowledge the neutralizer is only available in one fragrance, Fresh.

In my area this product can be purchased just about everywhere that Lysol products are sold. Kmart, Walmart, Target, Walgreens and Riteaid just to name a few. This is also available in most grocery stores in my neck of the woods.

~FYI~

There are no specific warnings associated with this product as far as who should or shouldn't use it, but as with all products there are warnings listed on the label. I would recommend reading all warnings before using this product.
Questions and comments regarding this or any of Lysol's products are welcome by calling 1-800-228-4722 or you can visit Lysol on the web @ www.lysol.com. Neutra-Air is distributed by Reckitt Benckiser Inc. Parsippany, NJ 07054-0224

To insure accurate product information some of the details in this review were borrowed from the product label

~The Verdict~

Well, I have to say that I'm pretty disappointed with this product. It's quite big and bulky looking and I don't really care for the smell of the neutralizer. It doesn't really smell bad, but it doesn't have that homey smell to it either. To me it smells like something that would be better suited for a public bathroom or some place along those lines.

It's not just the way it looks and smells that disappointed me, though. This thing just doesn't work. The first day or two it was so overpowering that I had to unplug it to get some relief. It didn't matter which setting I had it on there was just no escaping the very strong smell. This only lasted a couple of days, however, after which time I couldn't smell the neutralizer at all. I thought that maybe this was because I had gotten used to it, but even after leaving the house and returning, there wasn't the slightest hint of the fragrance in the air. This would be OK if it was actually doing its job and neutralizing the odors that it claims to, but I'm afraid that just isn't the case here. Without the overpowering scent of the neutralizer the odors are very noticeable.

Aside from the fact that this thing is ugly and doesn't work I do have to say that the neutralizer seems to last for quite awhile. After about 2 1/2 weeks of use my little bottles are still 3/4 full. Not sure how much of a plus that is, but I thought it worth mentioning. Another plus is that the warmer does not get hot. It does get warm, but no where near enough to cause burns.

Will I purchase this product again? No, I don't believe that I will. Even if it did work I'm not real crazy about the smell of the neutralizer. Would I recommend it? That's a toughie. I guess it's possible that some people might like this, but for me it just seemed like a waste of money. I get better results from my Glade Plug-IN's than I did with this and will continue to go that route when purchasing this type of item.

Thanx For Reading!