Birth Control Birth Control

Birth Control

ratings (69 Epinions reviews)

Im on the Depo-Provera and im not sure about my decision now!!!!!

Nov 24, 2004

Pros:Not having a period!

Cons:Mood swings and a possibility of long term side affects.

The Bottom Line: It depends on you.

Ive been on the Depo-Provera for about a year now. I chose to go on the Depo- Provera because I became sexually active a year ago and I wanted to be safe and not get pregnant at a young age. {I am 17 years old} Several of my friends have gotten pregnant for not going to their parents for protection { which I did} or using any methods at all. I enjoy being with my partner of 5 years and and want to be safe. So, I thought / decided that the Depo-Provera would be a good method to prevent pregnancy until i was ready to have children. But now i am not so sure that i made the right decision.
I have been reading up on this method and have herd some very horrible things. I have not experienced anything that was not explained to me in the packet i recieved before i got the shot. So far I have experienced some symptoms such as head aches {often} cramping and {in the beginning}severe mood swings. I have not had a period for 9 months and while I enjoy not having to deal with it i am worried about what side affects i could have down the road.
Another large problem i have had for the last year is not being able to sleep without a drug. It is impossible for me to sleep with out taking a pill everynight, and sometimes they dont even work. I do not know if the Depo- Provera is causing this but I am really tired of taking these sleeping pills.
I do not want to get off the depo-Provera because it has prevented pregnancy for me so far and for some reason i do not think the pill is as affective. I was told that my partner did not have to use something while i was on the Depo-Provera because i could not get pregnant, but that im not even sure about. My partner ALWAYS uses protection so im pretty sure that i will not get pregnant while on this drug. My biggest concern is if this drug is going to affect my body in any major way or if it can ultimately make me not able to have children after taking it for a long period of time. I guess that the way this shot works depends on your body. Its worked great for some and nearly killed others.