Verbatim Store N' Go USB Drive Verbatim (ver47121) Flash Memory

Verbatim Store N' Go USB Drive Verbatim (ver47121) Flash Memory

ratings (1 Epinions review)

Store'n'Go - The Revolutionary Computer File Storage Device

Dec 20, 2004 (Updated Dec 21, 2004)

Pros:Easy to use, fast, storage capacity is remarkable, good price, size of AA batteries

Cons:None as of yet

The Bottom Line: I would recommend the Verbatim USB Drive to anyone who loves computers, because it's easy, quick and small to transport.

With the invention of the Verbatim Store ‘n’ Go USB Drive, there is no longer any excuse for not backing up your important computer files. This little gadget has to be the neatest gift ever given to me. While it's main use is for easy and quick transferring of files to other locations, it can also be used as a secondary backup for your important files. I think that by using this device, those people who don't like to backup their computers may learn to enjoy it, but mostly see the importance of doing so.

It is easy, compact, fast, and holds a lot of data. This drive is a great replacement for the floppy drive (which is becoming obsolete). However, this gadget is far superior to the floppy in every way.

What’s in the Package?

The package contains a mini-CD (never seen a program disk this small) for installation of setup files, a lanyard (for those who don’t know, this is a strap that you can hang around your neck with the USB drive attached), a USB Extension Cable for use if your USB port is hard to reach, the USB drive, and the Users Guide. (No batteries necessary)

Compatibility:

You can use the USB drive with Windows 98SE, ME, 2000, XP, MAC OS 8.6 & up, and Linux 2.4.0 and up. However, the company doesn’t guarantee compatibility with some systems.

Colors and Storage Space Choices:

I received the red drive, but I believe it also comes in blue. The case is a see through case. The USB drive is available in the following storage capacities: 32mb, 64mb, 128mb, 256mb, 512mb 1gb, and in some locations up to 2gb. I have the 256mb version.

Easy Installation Using Plug and Play Technology:

If you have Windows ME/2000/XP, it will automatically recognize the device as a removable drive, so all you do is start dragging and dropping files to the device.

Installing on Windows 98SE:

If you have Windows 98SE, however, you will need to install the setup files from the mini program disk provided.

I have heard that some people have had trouble installing and using this program on Windows 98SE systems. I installed this on a Windows 98 SE system, and it worked just fine. We keep our systems maintained and clean, and I’m thinking this may be the reason we had no problems.

TIP:
We maintain our computers by using updated Anti-virus software, running Scan Disk and Defrag regularly, running Ad-Aware Personal (an effective Adware/Spyware removal program), running Spybot Seach & Destroy, keeping Windowsupdates up to date, and cleaning out Internet Temporary Files. If these programs aren’t used regularly your computer will have all kinds of problems, in addition to being slow. I may be wrong, but I think this may be partly due to the problems some Windows 98SE users incur when trying to use the Verbatim USB Drive.

My First Experience with Backing Up Files:

This is the quickest and most straightforward backup I have ever performed, and also the easiest. The first file I copied was 14.4mb and it copied in just over 1 min. I still have the 1.1 USB port, so it would have been even faster using the newer 2.0 USB port. I now have 71mb of files on my drive, with lots of room left. This is an excellent way to transport files you may need at another location or to simply share files between computers. Another thing you may want to do is to store pictures and music on your drive. If you use a digital camera, you can copy your pictures to this drive and take them to the photo store for reproducing. There are a lot of ways you can use this device.

The Store ‘n’ Go Manager:

This is the program that is installed that helps you manage the USB device. The first screen you will see gives you a choice of either Public Area Only or Public Area + Secure Area. On the Public Area screen you can click on Format, Login, Logout or Change Password. If you click on the Public Area + Secure Area you will see another screen that has a sliding bar so that you can choose how much of the USB Drive will be a Secure area vs. Public Area. You are then asked to input a password (8 characters maximum) and password hint.

When the Manager pops up you will also see a key lock icon in your system tray which you can use to access the program.

You will also find an Uninstall Program, Recover Disk, and Driver Install selections in the Start/Programs/Verbatim Store’n’go listing.

Note: Be careful when telling the USB device to Format because this will delete your files.

Note: the security features only work with Windows Operating systems.

Disconnecting the Drive the Proper Way:

If you have Windows XP, remember to click in the System Tray (right bottom of screen) the “Hardware Separation” or “Unplug or Eject Hardware” icon to safely remove the hardware after copying files. Then click the “Stop USB Mass Storage Device” to remove it. You will then get a message saying it is now safe to remove the device from the USB port.

If you have Windows 98, you can open Windows Explorer by right clicking on Start then clicking on Explorer. Then click on Eject to safely remove the device.

Warranty:

Verbatim has a limited lifetime warranty on this product. They warrant the product to be free from defects in material and workmanship, but if it is found to be defective, it will be replaced at no cost to you. You can return it with your original cash register receipt to the place of purchase or contact Verbatim. If you are in the USA or Canada you can call 1 800 538-8589.

Of course, this warranty doesn’t apply to normal wear or to damage due to abnormal use, misuse, abuse. The warranty does not apply to any incompatibility or poor performance due to the specific computer software or hardware you use. They also say it has non volatile solid state flash memory with a 10 year data retention. It is also resistant to shock and temperature extremes.

It is suggested that you avoid temperature extremes, shock and moisture when carrying your device. You should also keep the cap on it when not in use. If you accidentally get it wet, allow it to dry thoroughly before using.

Size/Speed:

The device is designed as Ultra Slim, so that it can be used on computers with stacked USB ports. It is about the size of an AA battery.

The transfer of data is around 8mb/sec Read (32 seconds) and 5mb/sec Write Performance on Verbatim USB 2.0 Systems. The typical USB 2.0 drive transfer rate is around 4mb (1 min 4 seconds). The typical 1.1 USB drive rate is around 1mb (4 mins 16 seconds).

What to do if you are at another computer and don’t have your Setup CD:

Go to the following website and download the appropriate driver:

Scroll down the page and find USB Drives and click on the down arrow and select Store ‘n’ go USB Driver. Double click this file and then simply download the driver to the computer you’re working on.

For the 256mb drive I downloaded this file: USB Flash Drive 256MB Store ‘n’ Go .

Closing Remarks:

This device has to be the gadget for 2005!

The USB drive is perfect for the person who wishes to transport files from work to home or vice versa or just to do a fast transfer of a file from one computer to another.

I have used computers and computer gadgets for over 15 years, but this is the most innovative device I’ve ever seen. I was so impressed by the ease of use and the speed with which I was able to copy my files to the USB drive. I think that with the floppy disk (storage capacity of 1.44mb) becoming obsolete, this gadget will more than replace it as a quick file transport vehicle.

CD burners are a nice way to store files also, but they are sometimes difficult to use and not as quick. I will still use my CD burner to backup critical files that I store away at home, but will use my USB drive to transport files I use away from home or want quick access to.

You will fall in love with this device and will be wearing it around your neck like the rest of us. In addition, you may learn to love backing up your computer lol.

Verbatim 64GB Store 'n' Go USB Flash D

Verbatim 64GB Store 'n' Go USB Flash D

Verbatim 64GB Store 'n' Go USB Flash D - 64GB Store 'n' Go USB Flash Drive; A Verbatim classic, our Store n Go USB drives offer a convenient cap-less ...
Verbatim Store 'n' Go V3 USB 3.0 Drive - 16GB Blue

Verbatim Store 'n' Go V3 USB 3.0 Drive - 16GB Blue

Store 'n' Go V3 USB Drive is a world-class storage solution for those looking to save and transfer data faster. The USB 3.0 interface offers data tran...
Office Depot

Verbatim 64gb Store N Go Usb 3.0

Verbatim 64gb Store N Go Usb 3.0

Payment Shipping Returns Contact Verbatim 64GB Store n Go USB 3.0 USB 3.0 Store'n'Go Mini Metal 64GB - Tthe Verbatim Mini Metal USB 3.0 drive provides...

Verbatim Store 'n' Go Micro 4GB USB Flash Drive Plus, Black

Verbatim Store 'n' Go Micro 4GB USB Flash Drive Plus, Black

The Verbatim Store 'n' Go Micro 4GB USB Flash Drive Plus is a rugged, portable solution perfect for storing music, videos, school projects or photos. ...

Verbatim 8GB Store 'n' Go Swivel USB Drive, 3pk, Blue/Green/Violet

Verbatim 8GB Store 'n' Go Swivel USB Drive, 3pk, Blue/Green/Violet

Add an extra measure of convenience and safety to your stored data with the Verbatim Store 'n' Go 8GB USB Drive. A twist on the Verbatim classic, it o...

Verbatim - Store 'n' Go 64GB USB 2.0 Flash Drive, Memory & Data Storage

Verbatim - Store 'n' Go 64GB USB 2.0 Flash Drive, Memory & Data Storage

Verbatim Store 'n' Go 64GB USB 2.0 Flash Drive The Verbatim classic Store 'n' Go USB drives offer a convenient cap-less design and a reliable name you...
Adorama

Verbatim Usb Store 'n' Go Usb Flash Drive 32gb

Verbatim Usb Store 'n' Go Usb Flash Drive 32gb

Brand new in sealed Verbatim factory package Picture shows exact item you will receive sku#023942 968061 Retail Price $ 49.99 Conveniently store and t...

Verbatim Store 'n' Go V3 USB 3.0 Drive - 16GB Green

Verbatim Store 'n' Go V3 USB 3.0 Drive - 16GB Green

Shoplet.com

Verbatim Store 'n' Go  V3 USB 3.0 Drive - 16GB - Pink - Verbatim

Verbatim Store 'n' Go V3 USB 3.0 Drive - 16GB - Pink - Verbatim

The USB 3.0 has 10X faster data transfer speeds versus USB 2.0 making it easy to transfer multiple files at once or larger files without error. The re...

Verbatim Flash Drive, USB 2.0, 8GB, Store'n'Go Pro Smart Drive, U3

Verbatim Flash Drive, USB 2.0, 8GB, Store'n'Go Pro Smart Drive, U3

Verbatim Flash Drive, USB 2.0, 8GB, Store'n'Go Pro Smart Drive, U3 UPC Code 023942963165