My Love Story Movie Awards

Jun 12, 2001 (Updated Dec 3, 2001)

The Bottom Line An old story with a new twist is a story worth seeing.

I am a hopeless romantic, and I mean HOPELESS. I will watch anything that claims to be a romance at least once. Narrowing down my ten favorite love stories was hard. (I also did a top ten romance list just because I couldn’t choose only ten.) I decided to do something different for this review (well, I did the same thing for the romance review too) and make up goofy categories like the MTV movie awards do so I wouldn’t have to pick just the top ten love stories but I could make categories to give a small sampling of my favorites.

(10) Best Love Story As Told By Colombo: “The Princess Bride” - Peter Falk, Fred Savage, Cary Elwes, Robin Wright (now Robin Wright Penn), Mandy Patinkin, Billy Crystal and many more are involved in the telling of this love story about a young woman who thinks her true love is dead and she becomes engaged to an arrogant, power-hungry prince who will do anything to start a war, including sacrifice his bride to be.

(9) Best Love Story Involving Men on Horses Charging at Each Other with Large Pointed Sticks: “A Knight’s Tale” - Heath Ledger stars as a poor English boy who changes his life with one twist of fate. He steals the heart of a noble woman and must fight to keep his true identity a secret.

(8) Best Hooker Love Story: “Pretty Woman” - Julia Roberts and Richard Gere are the stars in this well-known love story about a hooker who wants to change her life and a rich man who falls in love with her.

(7) Best Love Story About a Literary Figure: “Shakespeare in Love” - This movie tells what might have happened to William Shakespeare. Starring Gwyneth Paltrow, Joseph Finnes and an arrogant Ben Affleck, this is a sad and touching romance.

(6) Best Love Story Where Patrick Swayze Possesses Whoopi Goldberg: “Ghost” - This supernatural romance stars Demi Moore, Whoopi Goldberg and Patrick Swayze. It’s sad, true, but it’s about love transcending death.

(5) Funniest and Strangest Love Story Ever: “Pyromaniac’s Love Story” - Okay, this most likely isn’t one you know, but it’s one of the most complex, highly entertaining and romantic love stories on video. With John Lugezamo (“Mario Brothers”, “Romeo & Juliet”) and William Baldwin, this movie proves that love is strange.

(4) Best Love Story Of Truly Star Crossed Lovers: “Edward Scissorhands” - Another retelling of the same old story, but Tim Burton managed to give this love story a truly inventive twist. Kim (Wynona Rider) and Edward (Johnny Depp) are soulmates but can never be together because, you guessed it, Edward has scissors for hands.

(3) Best Love Story With a Crazy Sheriff Villain: “Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves” - A true legend, this version of Robin Hood is by far the best. Kevin Costner outdid himself as Robin and Mary Elizabeth Masterantonio becomes a wonderfully realistic Maid Marian. Alan Rickman is frighteningly eccentric as the Sheriff of Nottingham. This movie also stars Morgan Freeman as Robin’s Muslim friend Azeem and Christian Slater as Will Scarlet.

(2) Best Love Story Involving Chris O’Donnell and Minnie Driver: “Circle of Friends” - Based on a book by the same name, this movie is set in Ireland and is about three female friends (Benny played by Minnie Driver, Nan and Eve) and how they fall in love. Benny’s choice is pre-med student Jack (Chris O’Donnell) but she feels that since she isn’t a tall, thin beauty like Eve, the handsome Jack will never be more than her friend.

(1) Best True Romeo and Juliet Love Story: “The Princess and the Marine” - An American Morman Marine falls in love with the daughter of one of the most powerful men (a king) in the Middle East. Sounds like a made for tv movie. Well, it was, but it really happened. Mark-Paul Gosselaar (Saved by the Bell) plays the Marine who risks his life and career for the woman he loves. She, in turn, leaves everything she ever knew, including her family, and leaves her country with the Marine, knowing she’ll never be able to return. The ending is still being written because the courts have not yet decided if she will be able to stay in America. The US government doesn’t want to hurt their relations with the Middle East by legally making her a citizen even though the Princess and the Marine are now married.

Member: Victoria Perkins
Location: Northeastern OH
About Me: Five young adult novels; one short story collection; currently freelance writer.