Ott-Lite 18 Watt TrueColor Floor Lamp OLF018TC

ratings (3 Epinions reviews)
Epinions Product Rating: Disappointing

Some Short Comings to the Ott Floor Lamp

Jan 4, 2005 (Updated Jan 4, 2005)

Pros:View colors as if in sunlight – bulb lasts 10,000 hours, reduces eye strain

Cons:Lamp stands four feet tall; Expensive – buy it on sale

The Bottom Line: Review your height requirements before buying this Ott Floor Lamp.

My parents liked my Ott Flex-Arm Plus table lamp so much that they decided to buy the Ott True Color Floor Lamp. When A.C. Moore ran another 50% off coupon, they bought the lamp and brought it home. That is when we learned this lamp had an unexpected downside.

Description

The Ott Floor Lamp comes in a sturdy cardboard box. The top of the lamp is shaped like the number "7". It has a flexible gusset that allows the head of the lamp to bend up and down as well as a bit from side to side. The lamp pole and the head of the lamp are one unit, light gray in color with the gussets a darker gray. This unit fits into a weighted base.

The 13"-long head of the lamp is oval in shape. A grass-green stripe rounds around the oval, and when the light is turned on, this green stripe lights up, almost looking neon in color. The top of the light is flat with tapered edges giving it a contoured appearance. A black on/off rocker switch is located on the underside of the light head near where it attaches to the arm. An open area on the underside of the light is where the lightbulb is inserted. This open area measures 9".

The 18 watt lightbulb is equal to 130 watts of incandescent light – and the bulb lasts for 10,000 hours! The light bulb is easy to insert. A small plastic panel flips open allowing full access to the recessed bulb area. The long lightbulb resembles two long tubes rounded at the ends and held together by the part of the lightbulb that plugs into the lamp. A silver metal clamp is affixed inside the lampshade and anchors the end of the lightbulb not plugged into the socket. Simply snap the bulb into the metal clamp, and slide the lightbulb until it clicks into position. Then, close the small plastic panel.

The weighted base measures 10" long x 7 1/2" wide and is 2 1/2" tall. A metal washer and screw are included with a small metal wrench. The washer and screw are attached from underneath the base. Note that this lamp does not swivel. It remains in a fixed position. Only the gusset located near the top of the light allows the lamp head to move.

A black electrical cord 9 1/2 feet long extends from the bottom of the arm, and ends at a transformer that measures 1 1/2" wide x 2 1/4" long x 2" deep. The transformer has a polarized plug, where one prong on the plug is wider than the other prong.

Putting the Lamp Together

My parents asked me to assemble the Ott Floor Lamp since I had experience assembling my Ott light. No problem. Actually, I was pleasantly surprised when I opened the factory-sealed box to find that the lightbulb was already installed in the lamp. When I put my Ott Flex-Arm Plus light together, the lightbulb came in a separate box and had to be inserted into the lamp. It’s also interesting to note that the assembly instructions come with a sheet of paper that show how the lightbulb is to be installed.

Assembling the lamp took a matter of minutes. Since the lamp and pole are one unit, and the base another unit, all I had to do was insert the lamp pole into the base. Using the small metal wrench that came with the lamp, I easily installed the washer, lock washer and bolt ... screwing them into the bottom base of the lamp as the instructions illustrated. Now all I had to do was position the lamp and plug it in.

How Tall Should a Floor Lamp Stand?

My parents wanted this lamp positioned near their computer. No problem, I thought. That was until I realized that this lamp only stood four-feet tall. Thankfully there is a ledge near where the computer is situated so that it raised this lamp an additional eight inches from the floor. Otherwise, this lamp would have been too short.

Ott lamps are beginning to run in the family. Since my brother liked my Ott Flex-Arm Plus light so much, my parents bought him and my sister-in-law each one of those lights for presents. Then my brother thought it might be a good idea to trade one of the Flex-Arm lamps for a floor model to stand near his reading chair. At least that was his thought until I told him how tall (ahem ... short) the floor model stood. He quickly changed his mind and decided to build a table to hold the Flex-Arm lamp at the height he desired.

Some people might not mind that this lamp only stands four feet since the lamp was originally designed as a craft lamp. Four feet is a good height if I were to have this floor lamp in my sewing room near the sewing machine. If this lamp were to sit on the floor near my parent’s computer table, the four-foot height would have shone the light directly in front of the monitor ... too close for comfort. As a reading light, this height might work well for people. It depends on how close one likes a light to their reading material.

What makes an Ott light special?

Ott lights bring the effects of natural sunlight indoors without the heat or glare. It allows the user to see colors more clearly and also reveals more detail than traditional lighting allows. Ott lights are easier on the eyes, too, as well as being more energy efficient. The carton that this Ott light came in says that the illuminating quality of these lights is constructed from a blend of rare earth phosphors.

Personal Experience

My parents love their Ott Floor Lamp. They would not have been happy, though, if the ledge the lamp sits on had not raised it an additional 8-inches in height. The lamp would have been too short for their uses otherwise. The lamp is currently positioned so that the head of the lamp is about 7" above the top of the computer monitor, and the lamp stands to the left side of the screen. This offers them plenty of light without casting any glare.

One great benefit of this light is that my parents have noticed (as I did) that this light makes reading easier. The natural-light effect produces a gentler light. It is easier to sit at the computer for longer periods of time. There is less eye strain, too.

My father enjoys 3-D building in an online computer world called Active Worlds. The Ott light helps him see colors truly as they are, which helps his designing. In case you are wondering, Active Worlds is a virtual reality experience that allows people to build 3-D constructs. You can actually build your own world or build in worlds that others create. My father has built many buildings and is often invited by members to build in their areas. My father’s current project is to construct a railroad across a world as big as California.

My mother enjoys playing online games at Pogo.com as well as writing e-mails and working in various other computer programs. She finds that her eyes are less tired when using the light. She also enjoys cross-stitch and crochet. This light helps her see the true color of the threads she is working with.

My parent’s one complaint about the lamp is that they have to stand to turn the light on and off. The light switch is located on the underside of the light, toward the back ... an awkward place for them. It is not easy to turn the light on once they are seated.

When turning on the light, allow two seconds for it to snap on. This light does not flicker. It casts a steady flood of light. Note that the lightbulb does become hot to the touch. It is not super-hot like a halogen lightbulb, but it does hurt to touch it.

Purchasing

A.C. Moore sells this Ott light for $169.99. With the 50% off coupon, the light cost my parents $84.99. The Ott True Color Floor Lamp can also be purchased from Joann.com for $169.99; however, Joann Fabric’s brick and mortar stores often offer 40% off coupons to those on their mailing list (sometimes their website also offers extra savings).

Replacement light bulbs are pricey ... but with each lightbulb lasting 10,000 hours, you won’t need to replace it often. Joann Fabrics sells the bulb for $29.99 each, though their frequent 40% off store coupon reduces the price to $17.99.

Summary

Despite the short height of the Ott Floor Lamp, my parents enjoy having this light in their computer area. If the ledge had not been handy to rest the lamp on to boost its height, we would have found another solution to raise the lamp ... such as a sturdy stand. It’s good to have a well-lit computer area and my parents are happy.

I hope you have found this review useful.

Enjoy your day,

1214 West Cass Street
Tampa, FL 33606

Toll-free Customer Service Phone: 800-842-8848

One-year Warranty

Please read my other reviews:

Ott True Color Flex-Arm Plus Lamp