Comfort Suites Paradise Island Comfort Suites Paradise Island

Comfort Suites Paradise Island

ratings (3 Epinions reviews)

Access to Atlantis without the high prices

Jan 13, 2005 (Updated Jan 17, 2005)

Pros:Access to Atlantis without the high room prices.

Cons:Some rooms located near busy, noisy street.

The Bottom Line: Recommended if you plan on using Atlantis water slides, etc.

After reading some of the other reviews here, I decided to make reservations at the Comfort Suites so that my wife and I would have access to the Atlantis resort(separate review) without having to paying their ridiculously high prices. We arrived in Nassau on Jan 5th and stayed at the Holiday Inn Sunspree (separate review: http://www.epinions.com/content_169548549764 ) until the 9th. We then checked into the Comfort Suites for 2 more nights on Paradise Island. Staff was friendly and polite.

We had no problems checking in early - about 10:00 - and made our way to the room. It is described as a 1 King bed Suite, with a partial room divider and sofa bed. Try and reserve on-line - it will save you about $18/night. The partial room divider was VERY partial - about 6 inches of wall stuck out on each side of the room. It does NOT provide any sort of privacy, if you need it. It didn't matter to us as we traveled alone, but if you're hoping for some privacy from the kids or other companions, forget it. When reserving the room, they are all listed as Smoking, but we were asked what our preference was when we checked in and received a non-smoking. We got the lowest rate room ($157/night) - they charge more for rooms with "Garden" or "Island" views. I believe the Garden view rooms overlooked the pool area - not sure about the Island view. We could see Atlantis from our room (#209) and later regretted this. The odd numbered rooms in this wing all bordered a very busy road feeding into the Atlantis resort. It was very loud with traffic and honking horns, at all times of the night/day.

Their web-site states the "guests have full use of the (Atlantis) facilities: pools, beach, tennis, health club, water park and signing privileges in all of their gourmet/specialty restaurants/lounges". Be aware that there is a charge for the health club ($15/day, I believe) - not sure about tennis. We did make use of the signing privileges when we ate at restaurants in Atlantis w/o any problems.

We had taken our laptop to be able to check e-mails, etc. They had a wireless connection available for different rates - we paid $10 for 24 hour service. This was good when compared to the Sunspree, where the $10 internet service would expire at midnight, regardless of when you signed up for it. If you don't want to take your laptop, there are MANY internet cafe's in the area that will allow you access to the web. I didn't pay much attention to the prices of these - I did notice $1 for 1 minute of time at one machine!

We never went to the hotel bar, but did eat twice (lunch) at Crusoes, the on-premise "restaurant". The menu was pretty limited, but the food seemed reasonable for the price(for Paradise Island). A loaded cheeseburger was $7.95 (no fries included) and very tasty. Walk across the street to Atlantis and be prepared to pay a LOT more for similar, if not inferior food.

The room itself was clean. The carpet was very wet near the room air-conditioner - probably previous guests trying to dry out swimwear in that area. The thermostat to the AC was on the opposite side of the room - we had to set it at 74 or 75 just so we didn't freeze in the main part of the room.

Access to Atlantis or the beach was very easy. You are given some "access cards" that you will need when going into some places at Atlantis, or for signing privileges. You can also get your wrist band at a towel hut showing these cards, which gives you access to the pools and slides. Again - be sure to check with Atlantis to see what is accessible as a Comfort Suites guest. For example, the Dragons night club is free to guests at Atlantis, but there is a $30 cover charge if you're not. We didn't attempt to go there, so I'm not sure if our access cards would get us in for free. Same goes for the "complimentary" Atlantis cinema - didn't check that out - limited schedule (closed on Mondays and Tuesdays).

After spending the first 4 days at an all-inclusive hotel (see separate review on the Holiday Inn Sunspree), we came to miss many of the things about our "first home". We ended up using very little of the Atlantis resorts pools, slides, etc. If you are into the resort feel of Atlantis, the Comfort Suites is a great deal (I called Atlantis while we were on the island, hoping for a "last-minute" special or discounted room. I was quoted $849 dollars!!) If you're just into relaxing on the island and seeing more of the local attractions, I would recommend looking into one of the other hotels in the area.