Eclectic Products E-6000 Industrial Adhesive

ratings (1 Epinions review)

Stick It to Me, E-6000!

Feb 22, 2005

Pros:sticks to almost anything

Cons:nasty vapors, slow cure, not for use on polystyrenes

The Bottom Line: If you've been disappointed by all those "super" glues, try some E-6000 next time out.

Somewhere deep in the darkest recesses of my memory are the image of a dump truck suspended over Niagara Falls and the phrase "one drop for an elephant." That just might be why I have long insisted on buying the various "superglues" (cyanoacrylates) to perform ordinary household repairs. Since, however, I'm trying to stick two things together instead of raise fingerprints like some crime scene technician on CSI, I'm almost invariably disappointed at my results. So when I needed to repair some costume jewelry for the Ms not long ago, I decided to ask an expert: my sister, who makes "crafty little things" for a living. Sure enough, she knew the real adhesive for sticking things together: E-6000.

Brought to you by Eclectic Products, the same people who make Shoe Goo (I kid you not. [Really.]), E-6000 is touted as "an industrial strength craft adhesive." As far as I can tell, the makers aren't kidding: this stuff will bond just about anything to just about anything. I glued new metal pin backs onto three decorative pins made of different materials - plastic, leather, and wood - with excellent results in all three cases. Several weeks - and wearings - later, all three backs are still securely fastened.

What E-6000 can do: E-6000 will adhere to many plastics, wood, metal, ceramic, glass, fiberglass, cement, fabric, rubber, and paper. The bond created remains flexible. When fully cured it's acid-free, making it suitable for use in scrapbooking, including gluing photographs. After curing, it's non-flammable, stable within a temperature range of -40 to +150 degrees F, and can - believe it or not - withstand both washing and drying. It's also self-leveling, making it excellent for use in filling holes. It can be painted after it's cured.

What E-6000 can't do: About the only substances for which this adhesive isn't recommended is Styrofoam and its related polystyrene plastics.

Using E-6000 is easy. For porous materials, spread a little E-6000 on both surfaces, let it set for a few minutes, and then press the pieces together. For non-porous materials, allow to set for ten or more minutes. Depending on the ambient temperature, the adhesive will cure completely in 24 to 72 hours, though you can speed the process with a hairdryer on the low setting.

Like most organic adhesives, E-6000 emits some nasty vapors while you're using it - apply in a well-ventilated area. Uncured E-6000 cleans up with acetone (some fingernail polish removers) or citrus-based solvents, but after it's cured the only way to remove it is cutting or scraping.

The Good and the Bad: it sticks to almost anything, though it should not be expected to withstand the stress of heavy objects (no trucks on cables). On the other hand, it can take up to three days to completely cure; although small, light objects seem to be usable within a few hours. It's extremely versatile, and comes in 2-ounce tubes instead of those eensy-beansy bottles.

Parting Wisdom: if you've been less than impressed by the lack of versatility in super glues, try some E-6000 next time out.

If memory serves, "one drop for an elephant" actually refers to syrup of ipecac. Ugh.