Comments on 1-800-PET-MEDS - Not the Best Option" (30 total) View all
  Comment Sorted by
Date Written
For me, 1800PETMEDS is the best option
by lakawak
I can't say that it is the best for every pet owner, but in my experience, I have nothing but praise for them. I needed lactulose for my cat and after two refills at a local drug store at a cost of $8 for a 10 day supply, I finally decided to look for better deals and came across 1800PETMEDS. They offered what was almost 180 days worth for what came to less than $16 with discounts. Even with standard shipping (I did not order enough for free shipping, but the $16 included shipping), it came within 3 days.

On my second order, I did not receive my package, even though the USPS tracking site claimed it was delivered. This was not the fault of 1800PETMEDS, as I suspect my weekend mailman to be dishonest and uncaring about a job that he knows he will lose shortly. I have often received my neighbors mail and small packages, including Netflix DVDs and supermarket flyers, even ones that are individually addressed, are often left on the floor under my buildings mailboxes. I called 1800PETMEDS and explained my situation and that I had only 4-5 days worth of my cats medication so I was concerned I would run out. The women on the phone IMMEDIATELY placed an order to replace the one I did not get, and sent it overnight shipping.

This is great customer service, and is a risk for them since it leaves them open to dishonest customers claiming to not get a package just to get a free second order. However, for honest customers like me, it guarantees I will be a loyal customer from now on. This kind of customer service is unfortunately growing more and more rare these days.
Oct 24, 2011
5:08 pm PDT

Re: Re: Re: Thanks for the Update
by partain
I don't think the general public realizes how much counterfeiting is going on - OF EVERYTHING!!
12:53 pm PDT

Re: interesting and concerning indeed
by partain
Navartis won't warranty meds that were not bought from them because of all the counterfeiting going on with medications.
12:52 pm PDT

Re: Ask questions and pay attention to the details
by partain
I have been ordering Frontline Plus for my cat for some years thru PetMeds. Just found out my cat has been pulling his fur out for 2 yrs. and the past 2 wks. scratching constantly because his flea medicine hasn't been working. I got Advantage II from my vet and he stopped scratching and pulling out his fur within 24 hrs. Ordering it from the vet is more expensive but it's worth it!
12:16 pm PDT

Ask questions and pay attention to the details
by michas_spell
I felt compelled to respond to this thread as there seems to be some confusion. I'm hoping I can help. First - Petmeds will tell you that there prices are lower. This is simply not true. Shop around and you will find that out. Second - the best case scenario is that Petmeds will match the lowest price. That doesn't support the claim that they are the lowest price. Also - I have witnessed personally a situation in which a veterinarian refused to fill a prescription for a client because the pet had not had a current exam and testing required for the medication being requested. Remember...your veterinarian is working under the letter of the law and is strictly regulated on how he/she dispenses prescription medication. It's also good medicine to have current exams so that your pet's doctor knows your pet's health. To prescribe under any other condition would be irresponsible at best and illegal at worst. Petmeds response to this refusal of prescription was to write the customer a letter that stated that the Veterinarian did not care about the customer's pet and Petmeds went even farther to suggest this customer seek out another veterinarian "that actually cared" about the customer's pet. For those of you that might ask...yes...I saw and read the letter. I know the customer personally.

And it is true...the meds are not guaranteed by the major manufacturers (Novartis, Merial, etc) unless the product has actually been purchased from a licensed veterinarian. I know...I'm in the business and I work directly with the representatives from those companies. So you can suspect that your vet is ripping you off or you can understand that Petmeds is actually undermining the health and safety of your pet simply to make a profit. Check it out for yourself.
Nov 24, 2010
12:01 pm PST

Re: Can't say...
by criticcare
just email criticcare@hush.com

they have all meds you need, reasonable prices and 24 hour delivery. for human cinsumption only if you kwim.
Jun 4, 2010
7:25 am PDT

if your not a vet, i don't know who is
by kphthkos
the logo on website for vipps verification is the same on as my vet's. it's exactly the same meds only cheaper
May 17, 2010
7:13 pm PDT

1-800-PETMEDS
by poodlemama
I have purchased Heartgard Plus from 1-800-PETMEDS for most of my 3 dogs lives and have also had them annually heartworm tested when that became a requirement from the vet. My dogs have NEVER tested positive and have NEVER been without heartworm meds for more than 1 month. The Heartgard Plus boxes that I recieve from 1-800-PETMEDS have NEVER had any foreign writing on the boxes, have always had a current expiration date, and look exactly the same as the boxes purchased at the vets office ONLY they're less expensive. When I moved I had to leave a GREAT vet and have since taken my dogs to Tistate Veterinary Hospital on Merrits Creek Rd. in Barboursville/Huntington WV and they REFUSE to write a prescription for my dogs so that I may purchase my heartworm medication from any other vet/pharmacy NOT necessarily 1-800-PETMEDS. MY husbands brother works for a pharmacy and I told them that and they said "it's not our policy to write prescriptions." That my friends shows that they want the money and I agree that vets should NOT be able to sell medications only give samples. PLUS don't take your animals to this vet (Tristate Veterinary Hospital in Huntington,WV), they don't care if you have an emergency during business hours, if they don't have an opening they can get you an appt NEXT WEEK! I called another vet and they stayed over late to treat my dog, now that is a vet that cares!
Aug 12, 2009
4:05 am PDT

Re: Re: Thanks for the Update
by drjohnson-com
I have not read ONE comment about the Chinese block of US Federal deportation efforts of a major online pharmacy "owner", the estimated value of the counterfeit drugs in our market, and the ENORMITY of the regulatory-and-judicial branch-loophole that makes counterfeiting drugs monumentally profitable, AND SAFE -
-I am not just talking about counterfeit animal drugs-
If you were an international business concern that at any time, ever printed counterfeit US Treasury bills - you are no longer doing so. You are either in jail for being stupid - or printing flea control and other pharmaceutical packages -
Which is enormously profitable, distributions channels are wide and open, regulation is scarce, and legal penalty is little more than a slap on the wrist especially when mitigated by the Chinese government.
Remember, the Chinese government is a communist organization which participates in the profits of any chinese national or citizen who prevails on its protection or territory.
Also remember the Chinese government is our trade partner but not actually our "friend".
If you think they operate on a cordial double-standard where abrogating software, and other media patent and copyright license is "okay" 100% of the time, but counterfeiting drugs is somehow 'off limits or over the line' - - you are naive.

This is far larger than you, your vet, Novartis or twenty dollars. This is enormous, with dollar sums that influence substantial economies here and abroad.
If it were just dogs and cats I think it would not be such a crisis.

Apr 13, 2009
4:18 pm PDT

Re: Thanks for the Update
by trever2007
This rationalization, if that is what you call it, is someones haphazard explanation of justifying the veterinarians higher costs. Lets call it what it really is: GREED
Jul 15, 2008
9:27 am PDT

Hypocrite
by trever2007
There is no difference between 1-800-PetMeds and VetCentric. Except that the vet gets a sweet little kick back from VetCentric not from 1-800-PetMeds. Therein lies the great hypocrisy.
Jul 15, 2008
9:17 am PDT

If you want PetMeds to honor prices, buy the meds in the US
by trever2007
As a licensed Pharmacy 1-800-PetMeds is under regulations that they must sell FDA/EPA regulated medicine. When they honor a price it too must be FDA/EPA. That is only fair, wouldn't you say? If not you could get medicine from Australia and ask that 1-800-PetMeds honor that price when in fact that medicine is labeled, and packaged entirely different than what veterinarians and pharmacies sale in the US.
Apr 11, 2008
12:53 pm PDT

1-800-PET-MEDS What a Joke!!!
by cofccougar
I found cheaper prices for the meds for my dog online. Called Pet Meds to see about their price match. Placed the order. Next day I get a call that they would not honor the price match as the other companies were not FDA approved???? Sounds like the profit wasn't good enough for them. It's the same stuff the others are selling. Frontline and Heartgard. Name brand products. Although others sell them at around 2/3rd of Pet Meds price.
Feb 23, 2008
12:48 pm PST

$25 to $30 for warranty of product? C'mon!
by trever2007
"extra $25.00 to $30.00 you are saving is the same $25.00 to $30.00 you would ordinarily pay at a vet's office to cover Novartis's products' warranties." AT NO TIME SHOULD ANY COMPANY CHARGE THAT MUCH FOR A WARRANTY AND ASK THAT THE CONSUMER PAY FOR IT. SOUNDS TO ME LIKE VETERINARIAN UP-CHARGE!
Dec 21, 2007
7:08 am PST

1800PetMeds Declarations false?
by josiesmom1
While the original poster's review was well written and obviously some time spent on phone calls, I followed the links and suggested site and see that 1800petmeds has a written declaration and guarantee that they stand behind their offers and products, they honor EVERY manufacturer's guarantee, and they ONLY sell FDA/EPA approved meds!

They list their licensing information at the bottom of their web page.

I find it curious that a large company like that would jeopardize their licenses, that any of the pharmiscists working there would jeopardize their licenses and livelihood in order to hoodwink unsuspecting customers or make blatant deceptive declarations!

I do see how her particular veterinarian might refuse to release her prescription to a company, but I don't think that it is ethical ( I do not know if it is legal for the vet to withhold a prescription according to where it gets filled) - that would be rather like your Dr. refusing to release your prescritpion info to Walgreens because he is selling the sme drug in his office.

Realistically I didn't think Dr.s could actually sell meds only issue samples because of these ethical considerations. Maybe veterinarians have different rules?

1800petmeds has a list of veterinarians that is searchable by zip code. My small animal vet happens to be listed. WHat isn't stated on that page is whether the vets listed are affiliates of 1800petmeds or if the list was just gleaned from a phone book listing. Either way, if 1800petmeds.com has been licensed by the US to sell these drugs and they are selling sealed non tampered or expired packages, then I cannot see how they can deny their own declarations of guarantees.

IMO the original poster ought to be upset with her veterinarian, NOt 1800petmeds!

No, I have never purchased anything from an online drug supplier, although I HAVE used mail order drug suppliers for my horse and dog vaccines that do not require a prescription. So far I don't have any animals on any prescritption drugs, but that can change.

Regards, JosiesMom

www.vanityferret.com
May 8, 2007
3:03 pm PDT

yes...but why?
by twizzit
Very nice research, very interesting comments. But why doesn't the manufacturer sell directly to PetMeds? Wouldn't that remove the company's objection that they don't know where the drugs came from? My guess is that they are protecting profit margins for themselves and for the vets. Forcing pet owners to pay visit fees to get access to proper meds is tantamount to extortion. Vets and pharmaceutical companies should both be ashamed. Doesn't this amount to practices that obstruct fair trade?
Apr 17, 2007
10:56 am PDT

Please Accept My Gratitude!
by GGFries
The fact that you left no stone unturned, verifying each source and/or resource available- and above all… “ASKING QUESTIONS!” lends intense credibility to your evaluation of Pet Meds and other similar internet entrepreneurs. The adage, you don’t ever get something for nothing holds truer today than ever before, perhaps with the difference of higher prices and less quality or integrity.

Your information was factual based on empirical charting of data, (if you were to do so). Finally, you said nothing derogatory about anyone or anything. You spoke the facts as they are. I too have come to the same conclusion as you, perhaps using a different method. Like you and me, the responsibility for any purchase belongs to the consumer becoming best informed, thus making the best informed decision. This latter sentence explains why I suffer no grief when buying a vehicle, or high ticket item such as a notebook PC, etc. The grief I speak of is running to the retailer and perhaps suffering anxiety angst yelling at the sales person. With me, if there’s yelling to be done, it’s with the first guy I see in the mirror when getting up in the morning.

Thank you so much for taking to time to inform all of us who are willing. You have confirmed my study… and as you equated the overall savings with the lifetime of your pet, the difference certainly does not substantiate such risk. Again, please accept my thanks to you.

George G. Fries
DAB FL 32117
GFries@Bellsouth.net

Feb 22, 2007
12:30 pm PST

Thanks for the Update
by bkenn81
I am so glad I came across this research article you have done. I have often debated whether or not to go ahead and purchase from PetMeds.com. I am glad you contacted Novartis about the issue, and have learned that Novartis will not cover defective products. It makes a lot of sense to a person who understands about warranty policies. I am a huge online shopper junkie and never thought to consider all the reasons why things may be cheaper online.

However, I am surprised that some reviewers of your article have become upset attacking you about spoiling the "good name" of PetMeds. True, PetMeds is a great supplier of pet products, but it is their fault why Novartis will not cover their products. Allow me to explain why Novartis will only cover products bought from "credible" sources. I am in no way affiliated with Novartis, but working in a retail store for eight years that carries "warranted" products, I do understand how guarantees and warranties work. For the same reason buyers may save $25.00 to $30.00 by buying Advantage online is the same reason Novartis won't cover it. That extra $25.00 to $30.00 you are saving is the same $25.00 to $30.00 you would ordinarily pay at a vet's office to cover Novartis's products' warranties.

For example, you buy a schoolbag for ten dollars but there is no warranty on it, so if it breaks, it's your loss. If you buy a schoolbag from say Jansport or Outdoor with a warranty, you will pay a considerable amount over $10.00, because in that extra cost you are paying, you are not only paying for a schoolbag, but you are paying for the company's warranty guarantee, so that if that schoolbag breaks, the company replaces it for you. If Jansport or Oudoor took their warranty guarantee off their schoolbags, you would no longer be paying the extra amount for the bag's warranty, and instead you may get the bag for $10.00. At that point, you should expect it to be just that - a $10.00 schoolbag.

Novartis and other companies that offer guarantees work the same way. In order to be eligible for a replacement product, you have to have first paid for the guarantee. When you buy counterfeit or defective products from a wholesaler/retailer that does not pay for that guarantee and then charges you the cheaper cost, you in turn do not pay for that guarantee, and that is why Novartis and other companies will not cover any defective products that have not been sold to include that bit of "insurance." Kind of like when you buy an electronic and the sale's representative offers you the option to pay an extra "repairs and upkeep" fee for guaranteed for some amount of time. If you deny that option and your tv breaks, the store will not fix it without charging you an arm and a leg.

If PetMeds ever decides to buy Novartis's warrany, I can promise you, online shoppers can no longer expect to get their pet's medications for any cheaper than they already pay at their vet's office.

I hope my explanation makes sense to those who may not have thought about what that extra cost is paying for in those cheaper online products.
May 31, 2006
12:43 pm PDT

Thanks for the Update
by bkenn81

May 31, 2006
12:41 pm PDT

Interesting
by susiewho
I've purchased Frontline on line from 1 800 PetMeds and never gave it a thought. I use DrsFosterandSmith now, prices are slightly lower but again, I never questioned a thing...I better go do some homework I guess. Thanks
May 17, 2006
5:56 am PDT

interesting and concerning indeed
by delbueno
I stumbled across these comments today as just yesterday, I placed an order for sentinel for dogs with petmeds. I called novartis to ask about the warranty and they did confirm that novartis will not honor the warranty if I were to purchase the products from an online outlet such as petmeds. I then called petmeds to ask about this situation and they confirmed that their product will not be warranted by novartis because they do not buy from novartis but from veterinarian wholesalers !? when I asked for more information they simply did not have any to give.

so thanks for the info as petmeds never disclosed that this issue exists.

why is it happening? I must say that novartis is playing a dangerous game if they are trying to keep online outlets from selling in the open market and I would expect to see some legal action in the near future if this is the case but then again, who knows?

for now I am going back to the vet and getting the product from the vet but, I am using the online pricing as leverage to get the same price from the vet so at least I am still coming up ahead.
May 9, 2006
1:14 pm PDT

I disagree
by robertdean
Pogomom, I disagree with your assessment and your statement about warranty of products sold online. It is the place of purchase that determines contract law. Any product purchased in my state of origin has the same warranty and rights that I would have purchasing from a vet or OTC. (Over The Counter). You've either been mislead or are mistakenly misleading folks. Frontline is frontline, heartworm is heartworm - the company manufacturing the product has the same legal obligations by country or state, regardless of what entity is selling their product for them. I've had great savings buying meds online,(not always the site you refer to) and they have been safe and effective for my pets. Perhaps if you rely on medications to suppliment your income, you should consider another career?
Prices AND shipping Do vary so its always good to comparision shop each time - (The med rate may be cheaper on one site but the shipping cost may make it more expensive)
Sep 8, 2005
9:11 pm PDT

what a relief
by mismamac
I'm so glad I found your review on 800-pet-meds. We had considered (just days ago) ordering our dogs meds from there. Thanks for a great review on this company!!
Jul 20, 2005
8:10 am PDT

Frustrated pet owner
by livephish
I agree with your review of petmeds, however being a pet owner for 20 plus years it is frustrating that I cannot aquire certain medications for a reasonable sum of money. It does not take a genius to see that my cat has ear mites, you can see them move with a flash light inside their ear. I can go to te store and buy wormer for my horse, but not my dog? Still I have to dish out an extra vet visit fee and pay a premium for a medication that clearly does not cost that much to manufacture. This would not be an issue if it were not for the absurd sum of money I pay for a monthly steroid to keep my 21 year old arab comfortable. Being that there is no pet medication insurance, my "children" will someday face the reality of being euthinized because their medical expanses exeed my income. My animals have always come first as they did not ask to be put to my care. If I had the means to aquire some of their medications for a good price I would take it, but because of my fear of a bad product I am forced to pay my vet's premium. I know my vet has a posh life, his office is on his property- yet he cannot "afford" to sell his products for a lesser price? It's criminal.
Jul 6, 2005
6:00 am PDT

My inner skeptic...
by hadassahchana
...can't even begin to compete with the raving paranoia I am ruled by when it comes to my precious Libby the Wonder Collie. I was just venturing out into the wonderful world of online pet supplies, but I think I'll play it safe, if more expensive, with my princes's heartworm meds. Thanks for a great review!

Cindy
May 17, 2005
7:38 pm PDT

Hi Helen!
by auldbawl1
How are you? Haven't been keeping in touch - sorry. Hope all is well w/ you and yours. Just the word "pet" made me think of "Chester" ~ my wonderful cat for 13 yrs. He passed last year and I miss my baby.

Sandie and I are both doing well. Her health is great ~ just celebrated her 4 yr. anniv. post kidney/pancreas tx. I finally got a good paying job w/benefits after a torid 10 yr. drought of duds.

Great writing - as always

Still love ya,
Rick
Apr 16, 2005
9:23 am PDT

Re: Re: Can't say...
by scmrak
So Novartis is implying that it might be counterfeit? Hmmm... that's the same thing that Merck, Pfizer, Lilly, et al. say about drugs bought from Canadian pharmacies - and we know why they say it. I definitely could see paranoia if the stuff were coming from Ulan Bator by mule train, but...

I've heard a lot of tales of badly printed and strangely packaged stuff coming from online veterinary supply shops. The places I've bought from online (both were in Oz), however; shipped me stuff that, except for BritEng spelling, metric measurements, and unusual telephone numbers was identical to the packaging I got from a vet in Texas. And at about half the price.

So where's 1800PetMeds supposed to be HQ'd? Florida? there's your problem...

HA!HA!HA!

R
Apr 11, 2005
1:51 pm PDT

Hi Helen
by Granniemose
I don't think I would want to order medication for Jude's two Labs unless it was specifically recommended by the vet. I wouldn't do it for myself, so why would I do it for our dogs? Just doesn't seem an ethical thing to do, somehow. I am glad you wrote this.

Virginia
7:53 pm PDT

Re: Can't say...
by pogomom
Hi Rex:

You wrote: "OTOH, I am a certified skeptic in my own right. It boggles my imagination that a reputable company would tell me that they guarantee their product if I buy it in one place but won't guarantee the exact same product if I buy it somewhere else."

That's the problem, they cannot guarantee that it's the same product they manufacture. According to the people I spoke with, there is no paper trail to show that the medication originated from their concern.

I also felt it was a way for the vet to keep the cash cow alive when I first heard that they wouldn't give me a prescription for the meds but, he did offer to okay the prescription through another web site so, it's not that.

As Pam said, we're responsible for our pets and we should live up to their expections.

Pamela, thanks for the info on Dr. Jeffers' site, I'll definitely check it out.

xoxox Helen
5:18 pm PDT

I Have
by thedragonweyr
been buying pet and livestock supplies from Jeffers for about 15 years. They are online too, www.jefferspet.com, www.jeffersequine.com and have always been satisfied. I get all my vaccines, wormers, etc. and no hassles.

They are also very reasonable. I did check to see if they sell heartworm pills. They do not that I could find online, so maybe there is something to the story Helen got. Jeffers is owned by a vet, Dr. Jeffers.

Pamela