Formula 409 All Purpose Cleaner Antibacterial Kitchen Lemon Fresh

ratings (4 Epinions reviews)
Epinions Product Rating: OK

Formula 409 Antibacterial Kitchen Cleaner - Buy It and Waste Your Money and Time!

May 17, 2005

Pros:Still thinking

Cons:10 minutes to kill bacteria; no contact with skin or clothes; not lemon fresh smell

The Bottom Line: Stay away from this cleaner. Read the review and find out why.

I recently picked up some Formula 409 All Purpose Antibacterial Kitchen Cleaner Lemon Fresh since it was the best priced item in that line of products while on my shopping expedition and I had never tried it before. I needed an antibacterial product to keep the kitchen appliances and countertops as germfree as possible.

The Product

This spray bottle comes in 22 ounces, although it looks like a 32 ounce bottle, and sprouts a yellow spray nozzle that has a choice of spray, stream, or off. It claims: cut through tough grease and grime, lemon fresh scent, kills 99.9% of kitchen bacteria.

The directions states to spray 6-8 inches away from the surface and to let it sit for 10 minutes to kill the bacteria or for 30 seconds for general sanitizing before wiping it with a cloth or paper towel. However, if you are using it on a surface that food will be on, a potable water rinse is required. For heavily soiled areas, a precleaning is required.

Contains no phosphorus, not harmful to septics

Ingredients:

lkyl dimethyl benzyl ammonium chloride .3%
Other ingredients: 99.7%

Enterobacter aetogenes, staphylococcus aureas (staph) (Note: This is on a line by itself – I assume this is what it is suppose to kill)

Cautions

The bottle warns that the product can cause moderate eye irritation and is hazardous to humans and domestic animals. You should avoid contact with eyes, skin, or clothing. Wash thoroughly after using and avoid contact with food.

The bottle warns against using on soft vinyl, varnishes or aluminum.

Experience

As soon as I first sprayed with this, I did not like the odor whatsoever. I expected a fresh smell, a lemon smell, a germ killing good riddance smell. This odor was not pleasant and it certainly wasn't "lemon fresh". Also after having more time at home to read all the tiny print, I found that it has to sit for 10 minutes to kill anything and then it has to be rinsed and you cannot get this on your skin or clothes.

I tried to use it on my stove and counter tops after a greasy splatter. I was disappointed that it really did not remove the grease well at all. I get more satisfaction out of my window cleaner removing the grease. After reading all the cautions and asking myself why I should even bother with that many cautions and it doesn't even smell good or clean well and if it only kills 2 bacterias (and kitchen ones at that), I don't want it. Also reading on the label that for heavily soiled areas, that a precleaning is required is just plain ridiculous. This is nothing but a money waster and time waster. It went straight back to the store.

Do yourself a favor and do not buy this. I am currently trying a 32 oz. size (not 22 oz. size like the Formula 409) Fantastik Heavy Duty Antibacterial cleaner that only takes 10 seconds to kill a lot more germs and so far I am very happy with it. A review to follow on that cleaner.