Roundup Concentrate Plus: A Great Way to control weeds.

Jun 13, 2005 (Updated Jul 10, 2005)

Pros:It works. Mixing the solution could not be easier with the included measuring cup.

Cons:Lots of warnings. Using common sense is the best policy.

The Bottom Line: I definitely recommend this product for anyone that wants to get rid of unwanted weeds, and grass. I think that I got plenty for my money.

After more than 10 years, I finally convinced my wife to allow me to use Roundup Grass and Weed Killer at our house. The hassle of trimming around all of our deck posts, garden borders, and even keeping weeds and grass from the driveway was driving me insane. My Father has been using Roundup for years on the ditch bank that surrounds his house with great results. Last year after several sessions of trimming around the fence at my Fire Company, my mowing/trimming partner and I decide to use Roundup to control the weeds. We needed to spray twice last year due to all of the rainy weather and abundance of weeds, but the results were very easy to see. This year, we decided to do the same thing and after the job was done, brought the rest home to take care of my weed and grass problems.

What does this stuff do and how did I use it?
The first thing that I need to mention is that I bought the Roundup Weed and Grass Killer Concentrate Plus in the Quart bottle. This container also came with a handy 8 oz. measuring cup to make mixing the correct amount of concentrate to water easier. I borrowed my Father’s 2 gallon pump sprayer since I knew that I had a big area to cover. I first put the water in the pump sprayer and then added 6 ozs. of concentrate to one gallon of water (12 ozs. in the two gallon sprayer). The normal mixture is 3 ozs per gallon, but the instructions stated for tough jobs, the mixture can be doubled. I doubled the mixture to make sure that all the weeds were killed. I sprayed around the whole fence, places on the sidewalks where weed were growing and along a drainage ditch but needed to mix two batches of the mixture or 4 gallons. The whole process took less than an hour. The remaining gallon and one quarter, I used at home and sprayed the grass, and weeds in my driveway. According to the bottle, two things really stood out for me. This stuff becomes rain-proof after only 30 minutes after the application, and you will see visible results in 24 hours. Since we did not get rain, I can not speak for the rain-proof statement. I can say that by the next day the sprayed areas were already turning brown, so the claim is absolutely true. It has been 5 days since the spraying and almost everything that was sprayed is now dead. While the directions say that you can use Roundup around flowers, scrubs, and trees, I really would not advise it. This stuff will kill parts or possibly all of these plants if there is any overspray. Also while you can use Roundup in your vegetable garden before planting, it is not advised after you have planted your crops. According to the direction Roundup Concentrate Plus can be used to kill vines and tree stump. I have not used this product for that purpose as of yet.

The Aftermath and Things that I've Learned.
In my opinion there are two ways to prepare for the aftermath of brown, dry, dead leftovers. My normal method of removing the dead plants is to use my weedeater to cut the live plants before using Roundup. This seems to make for a cleaner, better looking job. I cut the plants in an area very close to the ground and spray them almost immediately. The second method is to spray first and wait for the plants to die. This is in my opinion a bit harder, because at this point the plant is laying on the ground and is harder to cut. I have tried both ways, but prefer the first. Also spray this stuff on a windy day is not advisable. Several reasons come to mind with the first being your own safety. Contact with your skin or even worse your eyes is not a good thing. Also Roundup has a strong smell especially with the heavy mixture that I used. This product is after all a poison of sorts and can cause health problems. I mentioned overspray before and wind is the main source of people killing their flowers and grass by accident. I did find that with a pump-type sprayer, it is much easier to put the nozzle about 2" off of the ground and spray without as much of a worry. There is also less chance of overspray, and contact with skin. Still I would not advise using Roundup on a windy day.

How long does the bottle last?
The fire company spraying job was a very big area. The property covers a small city half of a block. I sprayed almost the whole bordering area since the fence runs around the property. I also sprayed a solid area of about 25' by 50' where weeds were growing around our Bar-B-Que pit, and round the outside of the whole building. After that I used the remaining part of the second 2 gallon mixture to spray my driveway. This driveway is about 30' by 50' and that was pretty much solid spraying. I needed a second bottle of the concentrate to finish my property. I still have over 3/4 of that bottle left. All in all I feel that this $22 bottle did a lot of weed killing.

Ingredients and Warnings.
The active ingredients are 0.73% Diquat and 18% Glyphosate. That still leaves 81.27% of the solution unaccounted for or what they call “other ingredients”. I found it a bit interesting that only the active ingredients were named with this type of product.

"Warnings.
For the sake of accuracy, this section is directly taken from the Roundup Website.

STORAGE AND DISPOSAL

PESTICIDE STORAGE: Store product in original container in a safe place away from
direct sunlight. DISPOSAL: If Empty: Do not reuse this container. Place in trash or
offer for recycling if available. If Partly Filled: Call your local solid waste agency or
1-800-CLEANUP for disposal instructions. Never place unused product down any
indoor or outdoor drain.

PRECAUTIONARY STATEMENTS HAZARDS TO HUMANS & DOMESTIC ANIMALS

CAUTION: Causes moderate eye irritation. Avoid contact with eyes or clothing.
Wash thoroughly with soap and water after handling.
People and pets may enter treated areas after spray has dried.
Questions, Comments or Medical Information:
Call 1-800-246-7219 www.roundup.com

ENVIRONMENTAL HAZARDS: This product is toxic to aquatic invertebrates. Do not
apply directly to any body of water. Do not contaminate water when cleaning
equipment or disposing of equipment washwaters.

NOTICE: Buyer assumes all responsibility for safety and use not in accordance with
directions.

If in eyes
• Hold eye open and rinse slowly and gently with water for 15-20 minutes.
• Remove contact lenses, if present, after first 5 minutes, then continue rinsing eyes.
• Call a poison control center, 1-800-246-7219, or doctor for treatment advice.
• Have the product container or label with you when calling a poison control center
or doctor, or going for treatment. • You may contact 1-800-246-7219 for emergency
medical treatment information. • This product is identified as Roundup Weed &
Grass Killer Concentrate Plus, EPA Reg. No. 71995-2
"

Final Thoughts.
For the most part this product does do what it says it will. I am pleased with the results at both the fire company and at home after 5 days. Having a large area to do, I was glad for the 1 quart concentrate bottle, and the measure cup makes the job easier. Roundup is saving me a whole lot of trimming and makes my property look great.

Update 7-10-05.

After a bit of time, it was time to use my weed-trimmer again. The good news is that I didn't need to trim the treated areas. The bad news is that I did not want to use this product around an open water source. Namely, a creek that runs through my property for about 100 to 125 yards. I needed to trim that area again today. As for the areas that were sprayed with Roundup, at home and at my fire company; they are all still dead. I'm not a professional on weeds and such, but you name it and Roundup killed it at the double strength. The only plant that even had a chance was poison-ivy. Roundup stunned the heck out of it, but its starting to turn green again.

Roundup Website:

Thanks for checking out my reviews!!!
Steelfan