HPT's, More To Them Than You Thought

Jul 19, 2001

The Bottom Line Pregnancy tests are NOT created equal! Inform yourself to avoid false test results!

I wrote an epinion some time ago about false negative home pregnancy tests. What I didn't realize then, is WHY there are so many false negative tests!

I am writing this to inform. Hopefully, armed with this information, we can all be better consumers and also save ourselves some time, money, and the emotional roller coaster that comes with trying to conceive(or NOT to for that matter)

Home Pregnancy Tests measure the amount of hcg(human chorionic gonadotropin) in our urine. It is measured in mIU's.

All Home Pregnancy Tests Are Not Created Equal
Most HPT's claim they can be used as soon as your first missed period. Technology is on the move, and now on the market are those that are called early pregnancy tests and claim they can be used 10 days past ovulation or 3-4 days before your period is due.

As I said before HPT's measure hcg in the urine, and it is measured in mIU's. Each test's sensitivity is different. They measure anywhere from 20 mIU to 250+ mIU. Obviously you will be a positive result a lot sooner if you test with an HPT that tests at 20 mIU than 100 mIU.

Below is a comparison of some brands you may know and their sensitivity.

Aimstick- 20mIU
Equate(Wal Mart) 100mIU
First Response 100mIU
Walgreens 100mIU
Fact Plus 150-250mIU

This list is not complete, but does give you an idea of test sensitivity. Having this knowledge can help keep you from dealing with false negative test results.

Now, let's talk about price!
I know I have spent a lot of money on HPT's in the past. They can be quite expensive.

I've found there are very sensitive tests you can find for as little $2 a piece. These are not fancy. You have to collect your urine in a cup and then dip it in. It is only the test strip, no plastic casing, only the basics.
These can certainly help cut costs!

Aimstrip listed above is one of these type tests. I've found these as well as other brands online and a search should help you turn them up.

Hopefully with this information you won't waste money on tests, and will not encounter any false test results either.

(Comparison information found at www.thelaboroflove.com)

Member: Carey