Regia Extra Smooth Lager Beer from El Salvador

Jul 21, 2001

The Bottom Line Something different from the tropical jungles of El Salvador: a malty, sweet lager for summertime guzzling.

Today was another hot summer day in Southern California and -- after having a few rather strong brews in the past couple of days, including a 9.5% Imperial Russian Stout from Stone Brewing -- I was wanting to try something lighter and more thirst quenching. My beverage of choice today was a light lager from Central America: Regia Extra.

The Beer
--------------------------------------------------
Regia Extra is brewed and bottled by Cerveceria La Constancia, S.A. - the largest beer company in El Salvador. This brewery may be better known for its Suprema lager and Pilsener of El Salvador beers. This brewer is also a contract brewer in Central America for some famous international brands... like Guinness!

Regia Extra is a sweet, malty lager that pours with a bright gold color and produces a nice head of white foam in the glass. It is fairly low in carbonation. The nose is really malty and sweet, and the taste is light, clean, and with very little bitterness. The alcohol content is approximately 4.5% by volume. Compare in flavor to Miller High Life or Lucky Lager, only a little sweeter.

This has to be about the most sugary sweet lager I have tried in months.

Price and Availability
--------------------------------------------------
I purchased a big brown bottle (32 ounce) of Regia Extra at a local liquor store for about $3.30; that is a pretty premium price. I would imagine that, in areas outside of the desert Southwest, that this beer would be fairly hard to find. It is imported into the U.S.A. by G. K. Skaggs, Inc., of Irvine, California.

Recommendations
--------------------------------------------------
I always find it interesting to try beers from different countries. This is one beer that you'll want to serve very cold, certainly below 40ºF. I live in the Los Angeles area, and we seem to have a fairly large population of people from El Salvador and Central America here. This is one beer to try with a pupusa (a kind of Salvadoran Quesadilla) or a chicken tamal (similar to a Mexican Tamale).

For my palate, this beer was too sweet to really enjoy. Perhaps a better beer to try is El Gran Campeon (about $4 per six-pack of 12 ounce bottles) or Cerveza Caguama (also brewed by Cerveceria La Constancia, S.A.).

Verdict: Not particularly recommended.

Member: Tom Carr