KitchenAid Superba Dishwasher

KitchenAid Superba Dishwasher

ratings (58 Epinions reviews)

KitchenAid Dishwashers Even Better the Second Time Around

Apr 20, 2001 (Updated Jul 6, 2001)

Pros:Every bowl and pot I own easily fit in the adjustable racks

Cons:Maybe too many whistles and bells?

The Bottom Line: Since you don't have to fight to fit dishes in, using this dishwasher is so easy.

Little did I suspect that when I bought my first KitchenAid Dishwasher that Winter of '96, I could never be happy with another brand ever again. I soon found out that my deepest regret in buying a new house was that that I didn't yank that KitchenAid dishwasher out of the old house, and take it with me!

For 3 years and 5 months I have suffered with a GE Profile dishwasher. I hated how none of my large cups, pots or bowls would fit in this unit. I had to wash them by hand since the wash tower took up most of the room on the bottom and the top rack was too high up for my tall iced-tea glasses to fit. The dishwasher was brand new and I couldn't justify replacing it with an $800 dishwasher, even if I did hate the machine.

Then it happened. The GE Profile dishwasher got stuck on Wash for over 3 hours. The dial that clicked through the cycles got stuck on "Wash" and stayed there. That was all the excuse I needed. That and an e-mail from Sears stating that all appliances were on sale had me at my local Sears store two days later.

In four and a half years there have been a lot of improvements made to dishwashers. It would've been easy to spend over $1,200 for some of the models. They now have the top racks that raise and lower with the push of a button, or come out completely. I did play with these features on the upper end machines, but noticed that it was too much trouble to remove the rack entirely and putting it back in. For the price, the Kenmore Elite series had the most features, but I live in energy starved California. The average Kilowatt Hours per Year on the Kenmore Elite series were close to 700 while just above 500 KWH for the KitchenAid models. This became the deciding factor.

As I walked up and down the aisles, opening each dishwasher playing with the racks and the adjustable tines and the baskets, I found it! The KitchenAid like the one I used to own back in 1997. There she was, all shiny and black. More electronic pads and lights on front than the dishwasher of yore, but only enhancements, not actual changes. I was in love all over again.

This was a one of a kind floor model that was on sale for $489, regular price $699 (the price had come down in 4 years). No box, no manual -just pick it up and stick it in!
Husband tried to get me to consider the $800 models with the raising and lowering racks, but I wasn't interested. This KitchenAid Superba Model kuds25shbl1 had every whistle and bell that I could want.

Features:

**Sani Rinse
**Delay 2-4-6 hours

And most important feature:
Whisper Quiet Ultima
This dishwasher is even quieter than the one I bought in 1996! And that one was one of the quietest models out in it's day.

You open the door to see a shiny stainless steel tub with white vinyl coated racks.

The top rack has rows of tines that raise or lower -one set is adjustable for different width items. There is a rack that goes over this one that can trap smaller items inside while clipping on wine glass stems on the outside. The top rack is shallower on the left side and deeper on the right side -to allow larger items on the left side of the bottom rack.

The bottom rack it totally usable. No wash tower to get in your way. A removable silverware basket that can be placed anywhere. The basket is two-parts so that you can customize to your requirements. Large stock pots, frying pans and huge salad bowls fit easily.

Under the bottom rack is an easily accessible filter. Just turn the knob, remove, rinse and put back.

On the door is a soap dispenser with an easy to use lid that just folds over and clicks in place. No flimsy circular lid that you have to spin around over the cup and hope it catches! The rinse-aid dispenser has an arrow that points to how much rinse-aid you have left in your machine. No more guessing!

On the exterior panel are red LEDs that let you know exactly where in the cycle your dishwasher is operating. A green LED lets you know that the washing and drying are complete.

To operate the dishwasher you select which options you want and press the Start button to the right. If you've made a mistake, the Cancel button is right next to the Start button. If you need to toss something else in that you missed, just open the door, place the item in and close the door. In less than 5 seconds the cycle resumes.

Since this unit did not come with a manual, I went to the KitchenAid website (www.kitchenaid.com) and ordered one. It was simple.

I wanted to know how to operate the Child Lock and my manual hadn't arrived in the mail yet, so I called the toll free number. Customer service was wonderful! In just a moment I had the answer (Hold down the Energy Saver Dry button for 5 seconds to activate or deactivate the Child Lock) and the agent looked up and confirmed the date my manual was sent.

The only negative to this dishwasher is all of the special holders, clips, racks or adjustable tine holders can sometimes get in the way when they are not needed for your delicate or tiny dishes.

I was able to repair my GE Profile dishwasher in time to wash all the dishes before my new dishwasher arrived and was installed. I never doubted that I would be able to. I just didn't try to fix it until after I purchased the dishwasher I had wanted all these years. I do not regret that unit breaking in less than 3 1/2 years after installation. I am grateful that it wasn't a very durable model.

Since my new KitchenAid Superba was installed, dirty dishes have not stayed on my counter tops. It is so easy to load that neither I nor my husband mind loading it. It runs so quietly that even in our tiny house, where the television is 20 feet away, we can watch movies while this dishwasher is running.

If I ever have to move again, I am removing this dishwasher, replacing it with a cheap model, and taking the KitchenAid Superba with me!

Amount Paid (US$): 489 (699)

Kitchenaid Superba Series Kude50cxss Full Console Dishwasher Free Shipping

Kitchenaid Superba Series Kude50cxss Full Console Dishwasher Free Shipping

INFO ON THIS ITEM: __________________________________________________ NEW IN BOX ITEM: KitchenAid Superba Series KUDE50CXSS Full Console Dishwasher wi...

Kitchenaid Superba Series Kude60hxss Fully Integrated Dishwasher

Kitchenaid Superba Series Kude60hxss Fully Integrated Dishwasher

INFO ON THIS ITEM: __________________________________________________ NEW IN BOX ITEM: KitchenAid Superba Series KUDE60HXSS Fully Integrated Dishwashe...

Kitchenaid Superba Series Kude20ixbl 24 Full Console Dishwasher

Kitchenaid Superba Series Kude20ixbl 24 Full Console Dishwasher

amp;amp;amp;amp;amp;amp;amp;amp;amp;amp;amp;lt;div style=text-align:centeramp;amp;amp;amp;amp;amp;amp;amp;amp;amp;amp;gt;amp;amp;amp;amp;amp;amp;amp;a...

Kitchenaid Superba Series Kude20ixss 24 Full Console Dishwasher

Kitchenaid Superba Series Kude20ixss 24 Full Console Dishwasher

amp;amp;amp;amp;amp;amp;amp;amp;amp;amp;lt;div style=text-align:centeramp;amp;amp;amp;amp;amp;amp;amp;amp;amp;gt;amp;amp;amp;amp;amp;amp;amp;amp;amp;a...

Architect II Superba EQ KDFE104D 24 Dishwasher with 14 Place Settings  Front Controls  6

Architect II Superba EQ KDFE104D 24 Dishwasher with 14 Place Settings Front Controls 6

KitchenAid dishwashers score high in performance testing KitchenAids advanced approach to clean dishes is enhanced by the ProWash cycle which optimize...
AppliancesConnection

Architect II Superba EQ KDFE104DSS 24 Dishwasher with 14 Place Settings  Front Controls

Architect II Superba EQ KDFE104DSS 24 Dishwasher with 14 Place Settings Front Controls

AppliancesConnection

Architect II Superba EQ KDFE104DWH 24 Dishwasher with 14 Place Settings  Front Controls

Architect II Superba EQ KDFE104DWH 24 Dishwasher with 14 Place Settings Front Controls

AppliancesConnection

Architect II Superba EQ KDFE304D 24 Dishwasher with 14 Place Settings  Front Controls  6

Architect II Superba EQ KDFE304D 24 Dishwasher with 14 Place Settings Front Controls 6

AppliancesConnection

Architect II Superba EQ KDFE304DSS 24 Dishwasher with 14 Place Settings  Front Controls

Architect II Superba EQ KDFE304DSS 24 Dishwasher with 14 Place Settings Front Controls

AppliancesConnection

Architect II Superba EQ KDFE304DWH 24 Dishwasher with 14 Place Settings  Front Controls

Architect II Superba EQ KDFE304DWH 24 Dishwasher with 14 Place Settings Front Controls