W M Barr Armor All Waterproofing Sealer, 1 Gal.

W M Barr Armor All Waterproofing Sealer, 1 Gal.

ratings (2 Epinions reviews)

Armor All Waterproofing Sealer

Jul 16, 2005

Pros:Waterproofs bare wood without changing the surface finish.

Cons:Unexpected very low viscosity. Messy application when using a brush.

The Bottom Line: If you want to protect wood from the weather but retain the look and feel of bare wood, this is the product to use.

I bought a gallon of this at a bargain closeout store to protect an all-wood picnic table I had built from pressure-treated lumber.

The first thing I noticed when opening the can and pouring some into a small jar was its very low viscosity. Basically it was indistinguishable from pure mineral spirits thinner. Although the instructions didn't say anything about shaking or stirring, I stirred it quite a bit but there had not been any settling of solids. I guess I expected something more like a clear lacquer. For a time I thought that perhaps I had gotten a defective can. A web search didn't reveal any discussion about the product's low viscosity either.

Nevertheless, I went ahead and painted the seat boards. Painting it onto the wood was pretty sloppy because of its lack of body. After a few hours the wood surface appeared dry and in fact it was difficult to discern that I had even done anything to it. Only by comparing to the wood that hadn't been painted yet and noting the slightly darker color could I tell. I then splashed on some water and it indeed beaded up just like the photo on the can and didn't penetrate.

So I guess the bottom line is that the product does exactly what the label says - it waterproofs the wood surface. But other than that, it really doesn't change the wood surface in any discernible way; it will still look and feel like bare wood.

I'll be waiting to see how well it holds up and protects from rainstorms and such. The can says 2 years.

Meanwhile I wish the instructions on the can made some kind of note about the low viscosity and the lack of any discernible surface film. In this case I might have purchased a different product.