Kill Germs, Mold And Viruses, Eliminate Odors & Keep Your Germaphobe With Lysolís Disinfectant Spray!
Jul 28, 2005
Review by Freak369
Rated a Very Helpful Review
Pros:Kills most germs on contact, easy to use spray can, eliminates odors.
Cons:Could they possibly make the printed information on the can a little smaller?
The Bottom Line: No matter which scent you pick, Lysolís Disinfectant Spray is one of the best products to get rid of mold, mildew, bacteria and kill germs!
Recommend this product?
Being someone who is borderline obsessive compulsive about germs and bacteria, Lysol Disinfectant Spray is something that is always within arms reach when I am cleaning up the different areas of the shop. We have some specific products that we use for the tattoo and piercing areas but this is what gets used in the bathrooms, changing rooms and waiting area on an almost daily basis. If youve never been to a tattoo or piercing shop let me just say this, the potential to come in contact with a wide variety of bodily fluids is pretty high. Over the years I have seen almost every type of accident happen, you just go with the flow [no pun intended], clean it up and get on with things. Since blood is something that we come into contact with in our line of work we take precautions - rubber gloves, masks, protective eye wear - the works. Some people might think that this is overkill but to us it is protecting ourselves as well as the customer. When they see me breaking out the big yellow can of Lysol, everyone starts rolling their eyes and chuckling. Its a different story when they stop and think of all the germs, bacteria and viruses that this stuff is killing.
Lysol Disinfectant Spray Original Scent
Even though we run a pretty tight ship at the shop in regards to keeping things sanitary, impeccably clean and as sterile as a hospital room there are times when we need to make absolutely sure that an area is cleaned up. Since we are a private shop we can refuse to work on anyone for any reason - if you come in drunk or stoned, you will be turned away. That doesnt mean that we dont get the pukers - people that get themselves so worked up before a tattoo or a piercing that they just vomit. You cant just leave that stuff sitting on the floor waiting for the puke fairy to come clean it up. Once we take care of the mess [kitty litter works best and kills the smell] we have to make sure that there are no germs present and thats where Lysols Disinfectant Spray comes in. Since this has a pretty concentrated spray stream it isnt shooting all over the place or getting on other areas of the floor or countertop. Because it is pretty hard to tell someone Hey, if you are going to puke, use the trash can, this is something that we always have around, is well stocked and is used often. We go with the original scent because it doesnt linger or dwell - nothing worse than a tattoo shop that smells like a bouquet of flowers.
At home this is something that I use on the window sills, bathroom tile and in the basement. It works wonders to kill mold and eliminate the smell that can come from a moldy area. Since we are generally a healthy bunch and dont have to worry about coming into contact with most of the major diseases that this product kills off its mostly used to kill cold germs and viruses that manage to get into the house when the seasons change. This can be used inside garbage cans and recycle containers to kill off odors from food spills, inside diaper pails, under sinks, in basement areas that have damp spots or are prone to mold infestations and in the shower to keep mold from growing on tile, doors or shower curtains. That has to be one of the most disgusting things - you are in the shower to get clean then you look down and see the shower curtain has mold on it. If you are going to use this in a recycle bin make sure that everyone knows that once something goes in there that it stays there. You wouldnt want someone to reach in there and grab something that has come into contact with this and use it for some other purpose. Likewise, if you treat garbage cans with this, make sure that pets - both domestic and wild critters - cant get into the cans. This product is hazardous to all animals.
You can use this on most surfaces to kill germs, viruses, odors and to sanitize areas that have been exposed to blood. If you are using this to treat an area after a blood spill then you have to read and follow the instructions on the can completely to make sure that things are done properly and in the correct order. You cant just spray this over an area that has blood, vomit or any other bodily fluid on it and expect it to kill germs or viruses. The area needs to be cleaned first then treated with this spray. It will work to kill a plethora of viruses including salmonella [cholearaeuis. enteritis, paratyphi, schoyymuelleri], streptococcus [salivarius, aureus, pyogenes] candida albicans and escherichai coli just to name a few. In most cases you will have to allow the spray to dry completely before you can be sure that anything that might be present is killed off. If you own a business and allow the general public to use your restrooms, this is something that you should have and use on a regular basis as it will help prevent the spread of diseases and viruses among both customers and employees.
If you are using this to treat an area to prevent the spread of HIV-1 [AIDS Virus] you can use this as a before or after type of product. If you have suspicion that an area will come into contact with blood or bodily fluids then you can pretreat the area so that if contact is made, the chances of cross contamination are greatly reduced. If using this as a clean up item you have to make sure that the area is cleaned properly and all items used in the clean up are disposed of according to federal guidelines. If you are using this in an area where there is a chance that the HIV-1 virus will be present or is present then the dwell time is ten minutes after the spray has been used. If this is one of the reasons you are purchasing this then you must read the complete disclaimer on the canister before you use it to ensure that you are following the proper procedures to reduce the chance of a contamination situation. I really cant stress this point enough. If you are serious about killing germs then you have to do things the right way.
It is extremely important to read and follow the directions and instructions that are printed on the can - thats why I wish they would have made it easier to read - even if they had to attach a peel off type of label to it. As it stands the printing is extremely small and I know - without a doubt - that this is one of the main reasons why people dont bother to read the warnings, precautions and directions before they use this. I wonder how many people are using this thinking that they are killing off germs when all they are doing is wasting the product because they arent doing things correctly. If you are having trouble reading the label or need any further information about the product, please call their toll free number at 1-800-228-4722. Its better to make a phone call if you have a question or concern than to think you are doing something correctly but you arent 100% sure.
I have no idea what other scents this is available in but I do recall seeing something that said something to the effect of flower fresh or something to do with flowers. Thats just so not me so I stick with the original scent. It isnt something that is overpowering or something that you smell hours after you have used it but it does have a distinct smell to it. I pick this up at an office supply store in the 19 ounce can for about $4.00 and to be completely honest, even if this stuff cost twenty dollars a can I would still purchase it for the house as well as the shop. It is one of the few things that I can spray in the basement to get rid of the musty smell and keep mold from growing. Outside of that, when someone has a cold I know that this stuff is going to kill off anything that the infected person may touch in the bathroom, shower or common areas. Being a germaphobe sucks - you are constantly worried that some mutant strain of virus is going to make its way into your home and wreak havoc. You might laugh at that but it isnt all the funny when you find yourself knee deep in cleaning products and even though you know it is 100% clean you still insist on using a disinfectant spray.
The Bottom Line
This is an exceptional product that will work to kill off most viruses and bacteria strains but it only works to its full potential when you follow the instructions on the can. I guess I shouldnt have to say that this should be kept away from children and pets but I feel compelled to mentioned that. Likewise, this shouldnt be sprayed on clothing or anything that is going to come in direct contact with skin. You can use this on pillows and mattresses to kill odors and bacteria but you have to have some type of cover on it so that it doesnt come in contact with skin. If you are caring for someone that is ill and you want to make sure that germs are kept to a minimum then this is a product that you have to have on hand. Even though I cant see the germs, I know that they are there - just waiting for the opportune moment to make their move. Thanks to Lysols Disinfectant Spray I can wipe them out before they have a chance to plan an attack!
As always, thanks for the read!
~^V^~ Freak ~^V^~
© 2005 Freak369
Related reviews ...
CVS Alcohol Prep Swabs
Rite Aid 70% Isopropyl Alcohol
Clorox 1 Gallon Lemon Bleach
Rite Aid Antibacterial Disposable Towelettes
My Friend And Yours, Hydrogen Peroxide
Read all comments (1)
Share this product review with your friends