HomeCars & MotorsportsCars
Read Reviews (4) Compare Prices View Details Write a Review

1989 Mercedes Benz 190

Reviewed by 4 Epinions users

View all reviews by largefather

Classy and Efficient Diesel Workhorse

by largefather:      Jul 28, 2005

Pros: Reliability, durability, safety, style, ergonomics, fuel efficiency, class, uniqueness, ride and handling, etc., etc.
Cons: Rear seat leg room, unreliable HVAC and power windows.
The Bottom Line: I highly recommend this car for those who understand and appreciate it.

Despite some early quality snags in the '84 190 class, the 190D should have been a major success story because of it's unique blend of luxury, sportiness and efficiency but Americans never appreciated this car for what it was; an elegant bulldog. It's true that Germans over engineer their cars (and everything else) which leads to expensive service and repair but the payoff in longevity (another asset that we Americans don't value) is well worth it, especially if you can do your own routine maintenance. Sadly, only 600 190Ds were imported for the 1989 model year. An '89 190D is, in my Epinion, the best edition of the 190 class. It's the most refined version of the 2.5 engine and has the lower body cladding and modern aerodynamics of all the years that followed. It's amazingly quiet and smooth (for a diesel) and averages about 33 mpg in mixed driving and gets almost 40 on a trip. The main limitation is the rear seat leg room but it's okay for kids. The HVAC system is way too complicated and repairs will, as with every 190, be something you have to budget for in this car. The window lifts fail too and are not cheap to fix unless you're a shade tree mechanic. The rest of the car is solid and bullet proof reliable and you will never be stranded by a 190D. My current vehicle is an '89, black over palomino with 130,000 miles. My last '89 was totaled by a deer at 115K and my '84, 5 speed made it to 315K before its new owner ran the sump dry. Each time I start my 16 year old 190 and cruise thru my upscale neighborhood, I have to smile to myself knowing that while everyone is checking out the gleaming black paint and elegant, classic and timeless lines and asking what the "D" stands for, I am driving a unique, beautiful and rare piece of jewel like machinery that will be around long after those souless, boring Japanese things are long gone. As all us who drive Mercedes diesels know; it's our little secret.
Amount Paid (US$): 5,700