Sounded great in store, weak at home

Aug 2, 2005

Pros:Small package, Bose reputation

Cons:Sounded great in store, terrible at home. Muddy and weak.

The Bottom Line: I was very disappointed and expected more from Bose. How could they sound so great in the store and so bad at home.

I bought these to pair with a Harman Kardon AVR-335 (see my review for this receiver). It was actually my wife who was attracted to these as I was looking at cheaper systems.

Not one to complain when my wife wanted to step up, we bought the Bose. In the store, at close range, these things sounded great. Once home, however, things went downhill.

I installed them per Bose instructions. The first downside was that the Harman Kardon would not calibrate the speakers. I guess Bose does some funny things in their box and as a result, the Harmon Kardon EZ-Setup would not recognize them. Oh well, we let the Bose run with their factory setting and wire them according the Bose direction.

We were very disappointed with the sound. While in the store at close range they sounded great, in our large bedroom they seemed weak and muddy. I called Bose, they had me try a few setting, and yet, we would never get them to sound like they were worth the 700 dollars we spent for them.

I went back to Circuit City and auditioned the Polk Audio RM-6800 (see my review on the Polks). I brought the Polks home and compared them to the Bose. It was like night and day. The Bose went back that afternoon.

Sorry Bose, but we gave it a try.