Borden Washable School Glue 8Oz.

Borden Washable School Glue 8Oz.

ratings (3 Epinions reviews)

Shirts, Shorts & Smocks Will Thank You For Getting Elmer’s Washable School Glue!

Aug 20, 2005 (Updated Aug 20, 2005)

Pros:Non toxic, great for kids, will washout of most clothing, lots of uses.

Cons:Might not be strong enough for some items.

The Bottom Line: Kids love it, parents love it, it’s Elmer’s Washable School Glue!

It’s that time of year again, when most of the major stores like Target, Wal-Mart and K-Mart are pushing the ‘back to school’ sales. You’ll be able to find loose leaf paper, notebooks, binders, pencils, markers, pencil sharpeners, erasers and glue sticks for obscenely low prices. This is a great time to stock up on things and save a bit of money in the process; since most of the items can be purchased in bulk and doled out when needed without worrying about an expiration date; it makes sense [and cents] to take advantage of the sales on things that your kids will need throughout the school year. When it comes to glue we do go through a lot of it. Whether it’s in a stick or liquid form, we can never have enough of it around the house. I like the Elmer’s All Purpose Glue for repairing things around the house but when I need something stronger, I know that my tried and true tube of Krazy Glue will always be there for me when I need it.

Elmer’s Washable School Glue

Since we are homeschoolers we don’t have a specific list of things that we are required to buy however for the younger kids, most school request this by name when they are getting kids ready for the new year. I will be brutally honest here, I can’t see much of a difference between this and the Elmer's Glue All outside of the instructions on the back of the bottle on how to get this out of clothing. It has the same type of bonding power for things like paper, cardboard, poster board, crafts and kids projects. Elmer’s says that this will also work on things like pottery however when I tried it, the glue didn’t manage to hold my flower pot together. If you are someone that does crafts this is a nice thing to have around instead of the regular liquid glues that Elmer’s manufacturers; if you get it on your clothing you can remove it if you make a mess.

Since this has the words ‘school glue’ on it, it’s something that most people consider a ‘kid type’ product or something that won’t really do much for your adhesive needs around the house. This is a must have for anyone that does crafts and is great for construction paper, cardboard, paper, faux jewels, popsicle sticks and more. What I like best about it is that you can see where you are spreading it but it dries clear. If you are applying a thick coat you will have to give it more time to dry but 99% of the time it will dry clear. The only time I had a problem with this was when I got the bright idea to put some seashells on a wooden picture frame and needed to use a lot of it to hold them in place. The top part of it dried but the underside / bottom didn’t. It took it the better part of four days for it to completely dry and for the entire thing to turn clear but eventually it did happen.

Washing Instructions

If it’s possible, soak this as soon as possible after the glue has come in contact with clothing but don’t worry, if it’s been on there for a while and has dried all you have to do is soak it in cold water for a while and wash it as you normally would. If you have a lot of it on the clothing rinse it out a couple of times so you don’t have the excess glue running through the rest of the clothing. Elmer’s says not to have clothing dry cleaned if you’ve gotten this on it which really made me laugh. I can’t see someone in a three piece suit or expensive dress messing around with this kind of glue. So far when ever the kids have gotten this on their clothing [whether they told me about it or not] it’s come out of their clothes. Resist the urge to just toss this in the washer, that pre soak will loosen the glue and help get it out completely.

Price

Most of the time you can pick up the four ounce bottle for about .89 cents but during the back to school sales you can get these for almost nothing. Wal-Mart had a huge promotion for this and was selling them for .20 cents a piece. Into the cart they went, if it doesn’t get used this month I know that eventually someone will go to the hall closet and start looking for a liquid glue and when they do, they’ll see about fifteen bottles waiting for them. The eight ounce bottle runs a little more but it is a cost effective way to handle things since you can twist the cap off and pour these into the smaller bottles. Most places sell the eight ounce bottle for about $1.29 - less when they are on sale. There is an institution size bottle but unless you are a teacher or something that is into making pinatas, chances are you won’t need something this large. The most important thing to remember about this is to keep the lid closed. When I see things like this on sale I do stock up but I really try to stress it to the kids that they need to finish one bottle before they start another one. As long as it is still unopened you shouldn’t have a problem with it being runny or too thick to get out of the bottle.

The Bottom Line

If you have kids that are in to crafts then the best time to stock up on these is when stores are having the back to school sales; with prices ranging from .20 to .50 cents a bottle - I ask you, is that something that you can pass up? That oh so familiar orange twist top lid just screams ‘Elmer’s glue’ just make sure you get kids into the habit of closing it when they are done. If they forget and the hole seals up you can reopen it with a pin but try to fish out the dried glue or it could get lodged inside the cap and result in a huge mess when someone goes to use it, nothing comes out and they pull a Hulk maneuver on it and end up with glue all over the place.

As always, thanks for the read!

~^V^~ Freak ~^V^~