Lysol Disinfectant Spray All Scents

ratings (23 Epinions reviews)

Lysol: Killing Germs and Protecting Families for Decades

Aug 26, 2005 (Updated Aug 26, 2005)

Pros:Nice selection of scents; Kills a multitude of germs

Cons:Aerosol can not always ideal; Needs a smaller size

The Bottom Line: Lysol Disinfectant Spray could use a few small improvements/enhancements, but it is still one of the best products of its kind on the market.

Air fresheners make a great difference in the perception of a room. Even when an area of a home doesn’t look fancy or as perfect in appearance as one would prefer, the presence of a fresh scent can make it seem much more pleasant. One product that has been around for decades and has helped keep households not only fresh smelling but also free from germs is Lysol Disinfectant Spray, a brand that has become a household name for its effectiveness against bacteria.

Facts About This Product?:

Lysol Disinfectant spray comes in an aerosol metal can with seven different scents to choose from: Original, Green Apple, Crisp Linen, Spring Waterfall, Summer Breeze, Country Scent, and Soft Powder. The cans themselves are sold in three different sizes: 12 oz., 18 oz., and 19 oz.

Lysol claims it kills 99.9 percent of germs on contact. What it is referring to is Staphylococcus aureus and Klebsiella pneumoniae, which it quickly eliminates from non- porous surfaces. More specifically, this spray kills Rhinovirus Type 39 (causes colds), Respiratory Syncytial Virus (causes lower respiratory infections), Rotavirus Wa (causes diarrhea), Herpes Symplex Virus Types 1 & 2, Trichophyton Mentagrophytes (causes athletes foot fungus), Escherichia coli, Streptococcus pyogenes, Salmonella Choleraesuis, Campylobacter jejuni, Poliovirus Type 1, and Adenovirus Type 2.

To use this product, Lysol recommends holding the can about six to eight inches (15 to 20 cm) from the surface you wish to disinfect. You can also spray Lysol directly into the air to eliminate odors.

Customer Service:

If you have any questions about Lysol products, the best place to turn is the company web site, Lysol.com. Here, you can lookup facts about Lysol and even print off some coupons right from your home printer. If you want to speak to a rep, the number is 800-228-4722.

Final Thoughts:

Lysol disinfectant spray is one of Lysol’s oldest products and it is the first Lysol product I ever experienced as a young child. My mom used Lysol spray generously, aiming the cylindrical can in the direction of anything she felt might contain a large number of germs, and pressing the trigger. She would use Lysol on furniture, drapes, bed spreads, bathrooms, kitchens, and most any place else where germs often breed and multiply.

What I remember best about Lysol as a child was the scent. Back then, there was only one Lysol scent available- original- and I often felt nauseated when Lysol had been sprayed. It smelled better than a germ infested house, yes. But the smell, although fresh, was very pungent and it made me feel a little sick. My mother used this spray generously because she knew it would help to kill bacteria, mold, mildew, and other common germs that make people develop common illness. I tolerated the harsh smell, but I always wondered why Lysol didn’t manufacture other scents, to give consumers a choice.

A short time later, Lysol did introduce a new scent, in a blue labeled bottle. It was a nice change from the regular scent, but it was still too similar in pungency. Today, Lysol has answered the prayers of people like me by manufacturing seven different scents, with aromas that are varied and distinct. My personal favorite is Summer Breeze, a fresh floral scent, but I like many others too.

Lysol’s greatest advantage over ordinary air freshener is the fact that it kills germs. Other air fresheners succeed at making the air smell nice, but they do little or nothing to eliminate the germs that cause these odors and that make individuals contract different viruses. Lysol kills a large number of germs, making your household smell nice while also giving you the peace of mind that comes with a disinfected home.

Since Lysol comes in a pressurized can, there are certain risks. First of all, since the contents are under pressure, there is a chance the can will explode if exposed to high temperatures (greater than 130 degrees Fahrenheit). Second, Lysol is flammable, so you have to be careful not to spray close to an open flame. And you need to use a little common sense when you spray. No matter how tempting it may be, you should not spray this on clothing, skin, or close to the eyes. The product does kill germs, but it is not intended to be used in a manner that would expose someone to possible ingestion. It is, after all, a cleaning agent and thus it cannot be used liberally near the eyes, nose, and mouth.

Lysol Disinfectant Spray is generally safe to use, but you need to be careful when you pick up a can and press the nozzle. I once picked up a bottle in a store and accidentally aimed the nozzle the opposite way and ended up spraying myself on my chest. The reason is because of the nozzle itself. On one side, there is what appears to be a small opening with an arrow underneath it. On the other side is a larger black dot, which is the real opening for the spray. Because the side with the arrow also looks like it has a small hole for dispensing the product, I accidentally aimed it the wrong way and sprayed myself. Fortunately, it wasn’t aimed at my eyes, so I didn’t need to worry. But it still surprised me when I pressed the button and the spray came out (what seemed like) the opposite way.

One thing I wish was different about Lysol is the selection of sizes. The product is presently sold in three sizes: 12, 18, and 19 oz. I never understood the 19 oz. size. It is only one ounce larger than the middle- sized version and that doesn’t make much sense. It should be larger than that, or the three sizes should be spaced further apart. One suggestion I have is to make a size much smaller- like a 6 oz. size, along with a 12 oz and 18 oz. size. This smaller size would be very good for travel and it would fit nicely into small spaces, like a glove compartment in a car. Another possible change I would like to see is the introduction of a pump dispenser instead of an aerosol can. This would be nice because it would allow consumers greater control over the dispensing of the product.

My few complaints about Lysol Disinfectant Spray are trivial when you consider what this product can do. This spray, overall, is one of the best of its kind on the market, with a wide selection of scents and the ability to kill germs while eliminating odors. Candles and ordinary air fresheners are great for eliminating bad smells, but they do nothing to kill the bacteria that cause these odors and that cause many infectious diseases. Lysol eliminates these odors and kills the germs, making your household fresh, clean, and virtually germ- free. It does more than get rid of bad smells- it gives consumers the added peace of mind that their household is free from most germs. It is a must- own product for any home.