Olympic Premium Interior/Exterior High Gloss Enamel

Olympic Premium Interior/Exterior High Gloss Enamel

ratings (1 Epinions review)

If you enjoy PAINTING...

Oct 6, 2005 (Updated Oct 6, 2005)

Pros:Excellent quality, durable, easy clean up, high gloss, thick formula

Cons:Just cleaning ME up after painting:)

The Bottom Line: Inexpensive, high-quality Interior/Exterior Paint is easy to use, clean up and thick enough to apply without the drips and runs.

Painting is one of the few home improvement projects that I don't mind doing myself. During the summer months, I painted the interior of my home and expect to paint the interior of my Mom's home during the Winter months. I have loved to paint since I was a kid. It must be one of those things from early childhood... coloring books and crayons were my favorite skill until I began to read. Apparently, I haven't outgrown the love of coloring anymore than I have the love of a good book. Only I do the coloring with a angle brush and a can of good quality paint instead of Crayola. My paint isn't typically as varied in color, either... which can sometimes lead to boredom. Still, I do enjoy the final result of a freshly painted surface. Especially a surface that has been painted with a high gloss. The paint I have on hand for doors, shutters and molding is Olympic® Premium Interior/Exterior High Gloss Enamel. And, I couldn't be happier with my purchase. This paint costs $21.96 per gallon at LOWE'S and the formula is as good as it gets (in my opinion). I've used Olympic paint since the early 80's and I haven't had any complaints with the paint's quality, the results or the durability. This really is a high quality, durable paint that could be used in your own home or professionally.

As I probably mentioned in earlier reviews, Jeff (my husband) has a home improvement business that we began together in 1984. Together, we've painted multiple homes and business' with Olympic Paint and the results have always been satisfactory - to us (the users) and our clients or consumers. Olympic is one of the paints that has seemingly disappeared from the market, though. The only place that I know of which still provides Olympic Paint is Lowe's. Most of the hardware stores and building suppliers in our area have gone to Benjamin Moore Paints (which are also exceptional paints). When I selected my personal supply of paint at Lowe's, though, I choose this High Gloss Enamel for my doors, trim and moldings. One gallon is typically enough for interior trim and doorways *unless you happen to have a huge house.

This paint is essentially thick, which helps to keep splattering and drips from making the clean up worse than the painting itself. Although I have the basic WHITE color, Lowe's will premix any of their paints to suit your color choices. While the paint is thick enough to smooth on evenly without too many drips or unnecessary clean up, it is highly unlikely that you will want to stop with one coat. Possibly, if the surface you are painting has been primed or painted previously, you will only need to apply one coat. Typically, though, you will need to apply the first coat and, after allowing the paint to dry, apply a thinner application as a second coat. The Olympic® Premium Interior/Exterior High Gloss Enamel leaves surfaces shining. And, one more plus for this particular paint is that, after a couple of days drying time, the surface can be wiped clean much easier than a satin or matte finish can. From personal experience, too... this paint holds up under a variety of cleaning products.

FACTS Provided from THE CAN:

Olympic® Premium Interior/Exterior High Gloss Enamel - White
Item #: 31173 Model: 76002A/01
25 Year Warranty
100% Acrylic Duralife™ Formula
Ideal for Trim, Cabinets, Doors and Shutters
126 FL OZ. (3 15/16 QTS.)

Available exclusively at Lowe's

Duralife™ Long Lasting Acrylic: Our exclusive formula assures you lasting durability that stays beautiful year after year.

25 Year Warranty (Limited Warranty): Olympic's tradition of quality in every can assures your complete satisfaction with our product for 25 years. Our commitment: if you are not completely satisfied with this product's performance, Olympic will provide replacement product or refund the purchase price. Guaranteed. [Labor, Costs of Labor for the Application or Any Product, And all other direct, indirect, incidental or consequential damages are specifically excluded. To make claim under this warranty, supply proof of purchase to the store where you purchased the product or to OLYMPIC, One PPG Place, Pittsburgh, PA. 15272: This warranty gives you specific legal rights and you may also have other rights that vary from state to state. Some states do not allow the exclusion of limitation of incidental or consequential damages, so the above limitation or exclusion may not apply to you.

Olympic® Premium Interior/Exterior High Gloss Enamel: Durable, Gloss Finish, Excellent Adhesion, 100% Acrylic, Long Lasting Weatherability, Superior Washability, Soap & Water Cleanup.

Where to USE: Idea for use on kitchens, bathrooms, cabinets, trim, doors and shutters. Use on the following properly primed or previously painted interior and exterior surfaces: wood, masonry, brick, stone, composition board, cement block, metal and plaster.

Coverage: One gallon (3.78 Liters) covers approximately 400 square feet (37.2 sq. meters) on primed, smooth nonporous surfaces. Determine the amount of paint you need by first calculating the square footage of interior surfaces (multiply the width of the walls by the height - do not include ceilings & windows). Then divide by 400 (37.2) to determine the number of gallons (Liters) needed.

Surface Preparation: Remove all loose, peeling paint, dirt, grease, mildew and any other surface contaminants. Repair all moisture problems. Putty all holes and caulk all cracks and open seams. Sand all glossy, rough and patched surfaces.

WARNING: If you scrape, sand or remove old paint, you may release lead dust or fumes. Lead is TOXIC. Exposure to Lead dust or fumes can cause serious illness, such as brain damage, especially in children. Pregnant women should also avoid exposure. Wear a properly fitted NIOSH-approved respirator and prevent skin contact to control lead exposure. Clean up carefully with a HEPA vacuum and a wet mop. Before you start, find out how to protect yourself and your family by contacting the USEPA Lead Information Hotline at 1-800-424-LEAD or log on to www.epa.gov/lead. Follow these instructions to control exposure to other hazardous substances that may be released during surface preparation.

PRIME: Prime all bare wood, plaster, masonry, metal, patched and porous surfaces with an appropriate high quality primer.

APPLICATION: Stir thoroughly. Apply with a high quality brush, roller, paint pad or by spray equipment. When using more than one container of the same color, intermix to ensure color uniformity. No thinning is usually required. If needed - add up to 1/4 pint (118mL) of water per gallon (3.78 Liters). Apply Paint only when air, product and surface temperatures are 50 F (10 C) or above. Avoid exterior painting late in the day when dew or condensation are likely to form.

DRYING TIME: Normally dries in 1 hour at 77 F (25 C). High humidity may prolong drying time. Allow four hours before recoating.

CLEANUP: Clean tools and hands with warm, soapy water.

PROTECT FROM FREEZING

PRECAUTIONS AND FIRST AID: CONTAINS: Water (7732-18-5), Acrylic Resin (Cert. Ltr.), Titanium Dioxide (13463-67-7), Dipropylene Glycol Monobutyl Ether (29911-28-2), Di-N-Butyl Phthalate (84-74-2). Prevent skin/eye contact. Use with Adequate Ventilation. Mist or vapor generated by spraying this product may be harmful if inhaled. FIRST AID: If swallowed, gently wipe or rinse the inside of the mouth with water. Water may be given if person is alert. Never give anything by mouth to an unconscious or convulsing person. Do NOT induce vomiting. Get medical attention immediately. If skin/eye contact occurs, flush the affected areas with warm water for at least 15 minutes. Remove contact lens. A mild soap may be used on skin if available. If inhaled, remove from area to fresh air. If breathing is too difficult, get medical attention immediately. Get immediate Emergency Medical Treatment if overexposed. Take label information. This product is intended for consumer use - for workplace use, an MSDS is available from your retailer of by calling (412) 492-5555. READ MATERIAL SAFETY DATA SHEET (MSDS) BEFORE USE. Close container after each use. KEEP OUT OF REACH OF CHILDREN. Emergency medical/spill information in US: (304) 843-1300.

Calc. VOC = 145 g/L (1.21 lbs/gal) NONPHOTOCHEMICALLY REACTIVE

Personally, I love painting and the Olympic® Premium Interior/Exterior High Gloss Enamel has given me even more reason to paint with it's thick formula. The part of painting I didn't always love was the clean up. This paint has solved that problem by being just the right texture for smoothing on without drips and splattering. I would recommend this paint to anyone who enjoys painting and is in need of an inexpensive, high-quality trim paint. It goes on smooth and stays put. And, it leaves your final project with professional results.

Thanks for reading -