Fleming's

Fleming's

ratings (8 Epinions reviews)

Fleming's: Finally a steakhouse everyone can enjoy!

Oct 25, 2005

Pros:Large menu, good service

Cons:Expensive, no parking at Boston location

The Bottom Line: A nice steakhouse with a broad menu and extensive wine list.

Fleming's is a chain of steakhouses with locations just about all over the country. I ate at the Fleming's in Boston in September 2005 for a business dinner. I have to admit that I am not a fan of steakhouses but this one appealed to me because it had offerings other than steak and it had an extensive wine list. I have to say that I was favorably impressed.

THE FOOD

As I said, I am not a huge fan of steak but the main reason I like Fleming's is that they also had a menu with a very good fish selection. First, I had a house salad that was really very, very good with a nice mix of vegetables and a complimentary dressing. For my entree, I chose salmon. It had an excellent flavor and was cooked perfectly. Fleming's has side dishes a la carte and we chose the fried potatoes. They came in a huge paper cone fitted into a black metal spring-like object. The fries were curly and very thin, like potato sticks. I thought they were great and the presentation was cute - which was very unexpected in a steakhouse. My dining companion ordered steak and thought it was also very good. All in all, I would give the food the top rating possible in flavor and presentation.

The menu covered all the courses with selections for salads, appetizers, entrees and desserts. The entrees run over $20 so we would expect the food to be good and it definitely exceeded expectations.

Fleming's is also a wine bar and it has an extensive wine menu. I like how they organized the wine selection on the menu with wines listed by type and flavor. I also liked the fact that you could order a lot of wines by the glass. I asked the server for a wine selection and he picked one that I really liked and complimented my meal. However, I should also point out that he picked one of the most expensive glasses on the menu.

SERVICE

I made reservations through the restaurant and they were friendly on the phone and honored the reservation. When we arrived, we were greeted at the hostess stand and seated promptly. Our service were good but I felt that there were too many servers. It seemed that four or five people had different jobs of filling water, bringing food, clearing the table and communicating with us. As a result, I found that there was usually someone hovering near the table and the service was not as personal as I would have liked. However, we still got just about everything we needed promptly and everyone was pleasant.

AMBIANCE

The restaurant was decorated nicely in a neutral decor. Since the plate price is high, generally most people were out on dinner meetings or dates. I didn't see any children in the restaurant. The tables were spaced very well so we had a nice feeling of intimacy in the restaurant. The lighting level was also nice, not so dark that you couldn't read the menu but not so bright that you feel like you are in a supermarket. The atmosphere was generally subdued and it was a good location for a business meeting since the noise level was very low and I could easily hear my dining companions speaking in normal tones.

My only mild complaint is that there was a tv on over the bar area which pointed into the restaurant. I felt it was a little distracting and detracted from the ambiance. I thought it would have been better if it was either removed or provided solely to the bar patrons.

OTHER THOUGHTS

They take reservations and I suggest getting one as the restaurant seemed full on a weeknight.

They have a full liquor license and extensive wine list.

The restaurant was generally on one level and appeared to be handicapped friendly. However, our booth was up a step. If you have mobility issues, I strongly urge you to call ahead to reserve an appropriate table.

This is a business/date restaurant and is not kid-friendly.

This is a steakhouse and not vegetarian friendly although I suspect they could throw together a dish in a pinch.

They take credit cards.

Parking nearby is limited. They had valet parking the night we ate at the restaurant.

The restaurant's web site is: http://www.flemingssteakhouse.com.

FINAL RECOMMENDATION

I thought Fleming's was a very good dining experience. The food was really good and the service was efficient and friendly. I would definitely recommend it.

HUNGRY FOR MORE? TRY THESE BOSTON-AREA RESTAURANTS:

BOSTON: Radius; Caffe Vitoria; Excelsior; Jacob Wirth; Cottonwood Cafe; Imperial Seafood House; Sibling Rivalry.

BROOKLINE: Mr. Sushi; Fugakyu; Takeshima; Tsunami; Anna's Taqueria; Zaftigs Delicatessen; Bangkok Bistro; Golden Temple.

NEWTON: Appetito; India Paradise; Blue Ribbon Barbeque; Ice Cream Works; Baker's Best; Bill’s Pizzeria; Cafe Nicolas; Union Street; O’Hara’s; Yeradi’s; Johnny’s Luchonette.

CAMBRIDGE: S&S Restaurant; The Japanese Mall; Jasper White’s Summer Shack.

WEST ROXBURY: Cafe Misono.

BRIGHTON: Tasca.

ESSEX: Woodman’s.

SAUGUS: Kowloon.

CHAIN RESTAURANTS: Not Your Average Joe’s; Bertucci’s; Legal Sea Foods; Cheesecake Factory; Rainforest Cafe; Fire & Ice; Bugaboo Creek Steakhouse; Friendly’s.

COFFEE, BAGELS AND DONUTS: Bruegger’s Bagels; Finagle a Bagel; Dunkin Donuts.

Ads by Google